Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2003 8:38:20 PM EDT
I just got my carry permit and a new Kahr so I headed to my favorite shootin spot to break it in. I shot a few rounds and was very impressed with the smoothness and accuracy of the gun.

Then it happened.

At first I noticed that the gun kicked way more than the other times.

Then I felt the pain in my hand and noticed that the magazine had fallen out of the gun.

Looking at the gun I noticed the side panel was missing. Turns out the bullet blew out at the case head and the pressure blew out the side panel and magazine. Other than the panel, it doesn't look like the gun was damaged. Unfortunately I never did find the missing panel so now I am unarmed once again

Link Posted: 4/28/2003 8:45:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 9:22:40 PM EDT
[#3]
OK, OK, Kahr people calm down. I was hesitant to admit it but to calm fellow Kahr owners down I have to fess up. they were reloads. I know, I'm a Dumba$$. I learned my lesson

I retrieved the brass and it was "blown out" right near the case head. Definitley an ammo problem. The gun held up fine. There was no other damage. It's just that I couldn't find the missing panel. I probably had close to 100 shots through it before this happened with zero malfunctions.

It's a very smooth shooter and very (for it's size) accurate. My friend shot it and now he is saving up for one. I love the gun, it's almost as smooth as my Beretta 92FS and for a gun this size, thats saying something. AND I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE TRIGGER!!!!

I ordered another side panel from Kahr Saturday and they sent me an e-mail saying it would be 2-3 weeks

I called Monday morning and explained that this is my carry gun so they said they would put a rush on it. I'll let you know how good their customer service is.

Side panel - $5.00
Side Panel Pin - $1.00
Shipping - $6.00

Learning not to use cheap reloads in your new $550.00 gun...  PRICELESS  

P.S. The pain in my hand went away after a few minutes. No lasting damage.

Link Posted: 4/29/2003 5:44:05 AM EDT
[#4]
What caliber is that pistol? I"m thinking you are going to say its a 40?
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 5:54:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What caliber is that pistol? I"m thinking you are going to say its a 40?

Nope it's a 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 7:14:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Thats interesting. 9's don't generally have any problems with case blowout like some 40's do.

So it probably was a really hot reload that was your problem.

Man 9mm blasting ammo is so darn cheap its not worth taking a chance with 'questionable' reloads.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 7:21:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I had the same thing happen on my P40, but the panel stayed in place. This was with CCI Gold Dot 180gr. factory. I never found the case, but I suspect that the bullet got set back in the case as I felt a little "glitch" when the slide went forward on the feed stroke. No problem, still shoots fine once the panel was put back in like before.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 7:24:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Man 9mm blasting ammo is so darn cheap its not worth taking a chance with 'questionable' reloads.

I know, Lesson learned

I bought a case of this ammo about 3 years ago to shoot in my Beretta. With a new house and baby, I kinda got out of the gun hobby for a few years so I still had most of this left over. I still have about 500 rounds left that I will now dump. After this I went to Wal-Mart and bought several boxes of Winchester, no more reloads for me!

Whats the best way to dispose of loaded ammo?  
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 8:04:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Thats impossible, everyone here knows that Glocks are the only pistols that have KB's.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 8:27:06 AM EDT
[#10]
jfrush, can I ask what load you were using?  (bullet weight, fps)  Was it really hot?  I ask because I (re)load my own 9mm 147gr JHPs and shoot them regularly out of my Glock 19 and Kahr PM9.  Just wondering if I should be concerned.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Thats impossible, everyone here knows that Glocks are the only pistols that have KB's.

I bet he was standing next to A guy with a Glock
and the Kabom jumped over to his Kahr.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#12]

I bet he was standing next to A guy with a Glock
and the Kabom jumped over to his Kahr.

Now that I think about it, Your right! There was a Glock shooter standing next to me! It was shrapnel from the Glocksplosion that took out my side panel! That brass I found was from his gun!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#13]
This is very confusing I read it all and I know a exploshion from another gun could never damage your gun (unless they were like 3 inches apart).

But I have one less thing to worry about (I don't ever plan on getting one of either.) I'll stick with my 1911.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#14]

jfrush, can I ask what load you were using?  (bullet weight, fps)  Was it really hot?  I ask because I (re)load my own 9mm 147gr JHPs and shoot them regularly out of my Glock 19 and Kahr PM9.  Just wondering if I should be concerned.

I'll look at the boxes when I get home and let you know if they have any info on them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Glad you got off kinda cheap and the injury wasn't too serious, jfrush!
You said you reloaded these or purchased them?
At least if you reload, you can tone them down and monitor the used brass.
Unknown or gunshow reloads can be very bad news.
Sheesh, some make it sound like if you tossed a firecracker at the range, all the Glock shooters would drop their guns and hold their hands, awaiting pain!
I keep a P-89 for "disposing" of questionable loads.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 3:28:36 PM EDT
[#16]

You said you reloaded these or purchased them?

I purchased them.

jfrush, can I ask what load you were using? (bullet weight, fps) Was it really hot?

I checked the box and all they said on it was 115 gr FMJ
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Glad to hear it wasn't the Kahr......My wife just decided she just has to have a P9
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 7:45:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Glad to hear it wasn't the Kahr......My wife just decided she just has to have a P9

Nope it wasn't the gun. It was strictly an ammo problem.

I finally got around to taking pictures of the offending brass:

Link Posted: 4/29/2003 8:21:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Uh...the primer on that brass is NOT flattened to any significant degree, and primer flattening is one of the FIRST signs of high case pressure.

I'm more concerned about how well the chamber supports the case near the base.  It looks to me like there's a substantial gap.

As for reloads,  believe me,  there's no ammo I trust MORE than my own reloads.   I know EXACTLY what goes into each case.  I've seen the contents, measured the contents, and verified the contents. It doesn't get any better than that.

I can't say that about ammo from ANY other source.

You should shoot the gun some more with factory ammo of various types, collect the brass, and check the case head for swelling.  If it is doing that, then you have a gun that is not fully supporting the case wall and it WILL be more prone to case failures than other guns.  It is
possible that your gun has that condition, and you should check that possibility...or have a gunsmith do it.

CJ

Link Posted: 4/30/2003 5:41:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I agree with CMJOHNSON. I don't see a flat primer at all. That brass looks like the classic blow out for an unsupported case. Usually caused by having a barrel 'throated'.

I'd shoot some factory rounds and inspect the same spot on your cases...if you see any bulge in that same spot you have a barrel problem...
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 5:53:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
But I have one less thing to worry about (I don't ever plan on getting one of either.) I'll stick with my 1911.

I've seen more KB's in 1911s than all other types combined. IPSC and 1911 KB's go hand in hand.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 5:57:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Again, you must be mistaken.  It was obviously a .40 Glock that K-Boomed.  Please un-photoshop your pic and get on the Glock bashing bandwagon!
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 6:01:47 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Again, you must be mistaken.  It was obviously a .40 Glock that K-Boomed.  Please un-photoshop your pic and get on the Glock bashing bandwagon!

OMG...call the wambulance....quick..the number is WHINE-1-1!
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 12:09:46 AM EDT
[#24]
As long as we're bashing Glocks, I've gotta say, that Kahr must be built pretty strong in order to have withstood that with next to no damage. Not like those silly Glocks whos frames and slides fracture into several pieces with their insides hanging out! Will it still shoot w/o the side panel?
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 4:34:26 AM EDT
[#25]
reloads that says it all.ill never ever ever use reloads again.i blue(bulged the cylinder of my dick special with some ya hoos reloads,never again never never .
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 5:50:23 AM EDT
[#26]

Will it still shoot w/o the side panel?

Well you can get one good shot off and then that lever thats exposed pops out of palce. You can then just push it back in place an shoot again.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 2:33:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Kahr's customer service gets an A+ !!

Well as I said before I ordered the replacement panel on Saturday. They sent me an e-mail saying it would be 2-3 weeks!!

I Called them Monday and explained that I really needed this part before the weekend. They said they would see what they could do. I came home today (Thursday) to find a delivery from Kahr!!

Now my baby is back together!! All appears to function fine, I'll give a range report after Saturday.

Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:58:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Check the brass for bulges !!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 7:07:35 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Check the brass for bulges !!!!!!!!!!!!

Will do. I'm getting 200 rnds of Winchester and I'm going to shoot it as much as time allows. Will post results...

Link Posted: 7/20/2003 3:33:29 PM EDT
[#30]
OK>..........so how about some results already!
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Don't be skeered of re-loads. Just be skeered of OP's (scared of other peoples reloads). Load your own. Be careful. Be happy. Have more fun.
TomB
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
OK>..........so how about some results already!

Well the first time I shot it after I got the side panel replaced, I got about 7 shots off and then the magazine would not stay in. Turns out the KB had also damaged the magazine catch. Kahr came through again and got me a replacement in a few days. Since then I've put about 400 rounds through it without ANY kind of malfunction. All the brass I collected shows no abnormalities.

Link Posted: 7/20/2003 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#33]
only 400 more before I'd be happy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top