Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2006 11:25:29 PM EDT
Over the years I've fired pretty much every bullet profile out there from my carry 1911.   It has always been 100% reliable with EVERYTHING.    My favorite load is a 200gr LSWC from pretty much any decent bullet caster with a hard alloy.   I just tried the Ranier 200gr plated SWC and damned near every time I'd close the slide on a fresh mag it would end up in a 3 point jam with the ass end down in the mag.  It didnt matter if the mag was fully loaded or not, firing it would cycle fine but the first round up always jammed up tight.  I loaded this to the same length as the LSWCs of the same weight and use the same charge of 5.0gr bullseye.  

Now obviously I can switch loads but I'd really like to figure out why it doesnt like this particular combo.   I plan to adjust seating length with them a bit longer to see if that helps but from a gun that will feed empty cases just fine this is just odd.

I bought these as an inexpensive bullet to fire from my .45 AR and it's 99% reliable with the load but it also chokes when it shouldnt from it.   Is there some secret to making this bullet work?

My P220 doesnt run at all with it, 100% failure to feed.   I gave up with the first 8 round mag.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:27:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Something is different because the gun does not work properly. Is the ogive the same on the bullet? Is it a bit shorter? What mags are you using? GI type or wilsons or the like?

Being plated might have something to do with it, tho in theory it should be more "slickery" from the plating.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:30:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I ran my regular wilson combat mags that still run fine with other loads.  

Obviously I wouldnt rely on this ammo since it doesnt function properly but I cant figure out why it doesnt.

The bullet is almost identical to a standard H&G 68 and I adjusted the die to load to the same length as my cast bullets.   There is some dimensional differences however because the same setting that seats my cast bullets had the shoulder of the plated bullet sticking out quite a ways.  I adjusted the seating die to set the bullet back a bit further so that it's the same as the lead bullet.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:01:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Is that shoulder hitting anything? A longer shoulder can hit the slide release lock and cause this problem. Try to control feed a round slowly into the chamber and see if it is hitting the slide release nub that sticks into the magwell.

I seem to recall a friend of mine complaining about this. I'm pretty sure they were Ranier plated bullets also. If it's hitting it will not allow the round to pop up properly and nose down feed jams can result.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:13:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I hadnt thought of the slide stop issue.  I'll pop it out of the notch and see if it still does it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:36:36 AM EDT
[#5]
My Springfield didn't seem to mind the Ranier 200 SWC so much, with only an occasional stop when the shoulder hung up on the feed ramp, but they locked my 220ST up tighter than Dick's hatband. I like the bullet, but I won't be getting any more. I may try another brand, or I may just stick to 230 RN rounds.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:53:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I have been having the exact same problem with the raniers,I have moved the OAL from 1.16 (as recommended by ranier) to 1.26 and nothing seems to help.I have noticed if I slingshot the slide as fast as possible they will load,but if I hesitate at all in releasing the slide they jam up.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:26:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have been having the exact same problem with the raniers,I have moved the OAL from 1.16 (as recommended by ranier) to 1.26 and nothing seems to help.I have noticed if I slingshot the slide as fast as possible they will load,but if I hesitate at all in releasing the slide they jam up.

Some guns just prefer different bullets.  Two of my guns will run with anything I feed it including Rainer SWC and flat point.  One doesn't feed the SWC and will only run with flat point if I slingshot the first round.  

One hint though... its not the slide stop.  I thought this might be a problem as well, and started filing the nub.  I kept checking and found that every round made contact.  Before I totally destroyed the slide stop, I checked one of my guns that feeds everything.  The slide stop was making contact with the rounds on that one as well.  Maybe the problem gun had too much contact, but I was able to demonstrate beyond any doubt that even a properly fitted gun will have contact between the rounds in the magazine and the slide stop during feeding.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#8]
According to my friend who reloads, you have to shorten the round not lengthen it for Raniers to work.  He said shorten it by about .30thousands from a typical 230 grain length. He had the same problem til he started doing this.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:45:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I remember several guns that did not like the Raniers.
Casual inspection of the projo does not reveal a problem.
I can, and have, tuned guns to feed this bullet well, but.......why bother?
Seems there is a minor geometry difference between this bullet and a H&G #68.
I never bothered to figure out what it was though.
Anyways, it IS a difficult projo. You are not alone!
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:57:21 AM EDT
[#10]
IIRC, OAL in my Sierra manual for that type bullet is 1.190.

Experiment with OALs from that to about 1.230, in .010 increments and see what it likes.

Also try the reloading section on the forums at www.brianenos.com

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:58:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Also check your crimp.  Should be .472", +/- .001
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top