Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2005 5:37:37 AM EDT
and placed an order for a belt and an Executive Companion.  Marty was very patient and helpful even though it was quiting time for him.  He said he would mail me an order summary and that my CC wouldn't be charged until the order was shipped.  Now the bad news - the current backlog is 16 WEEKS!!  Holy crap!  I was expecting a long wait, but WOW!!  So by New Years Day I should be sporting a better belt and a more comfortable holster.  I'll be sure to post pics when they arrive.

-yj

***UPDATE***

Christmas arrived a little early for me this year!  I changed my order to a VM2 after doing a little more research and I'm very, very happy with the holster.  And the belt makes all the difference in the world - it's as stiff as a board!  I now see why a true gun belt is so important.  I've been wearing the Milt Sparks combo for a couple of days now and the improvements over my previous rig are numerous:

Rigidity - no matter whether I'm standing, sitting, or driving a car the holster and gun stay where I put it.  With the belt buckled I can't even slide the holster back and forth!

Accessible - the pistol is canted forward and raised so that the grip is much more accessible than before.  My old holster would slide down in my pants and the pistol's grip would be nearly down to my belt.  There is no such thing as a speed draw when your fingers can't get around the gun!

Comfort - Because the pistol doesn't move during the day my side doesn't get irritated like it used to.  Also the stiff belt (1 1/2") does a much better job of supporting the weight of the weapon and my pants.  Also the holster has a leather ear that protects my skin from my night sights.  I wouldn't be afraid to wear this holster with out an under shirt.

Holstering - The mouth of the holster stays open when I draw.  One handed re-holstering is a breeze.  Also the weapon is easier to draw since the leather is too stiff to let it get jammed (if that makes sense!?)

So my conclusions:

The wait (13.5 weeks) was definitely worth getting what I wanted.
If you are serious about every day carry don't skimp on the holster.  It will make everything easier!
A real gun belt is 1/2 the equation.  A good holster on a cheap belt is a still a sorry rig.

I'll post pics when I get a chance.  Maybe tonight.

-yj

Ok sorry it took so long but here are the pics promised:

and
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:33:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you check with Lightning Arms?  They stock quite a few Sparks holsters and belts.  They are more expensive than buying direct, but they also ship the same day.  If they have the holster, you can still get the belt direct as I think sparks usually has those on hand.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Did you check with Lightning Arms?  They stock quite a few Sparks holsters and belts.  They are more expensive than buying direct, but they also ship the same day.  If they have the holster, you can still get the belt direct as I think sparks usually has those on hand.

Thanks Cliffy!  I'll give 'em a call.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Lightning Arms is awesome!  Lots of holsters and related gear on hand.

Great people to deal with also.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Lightning Arms is awesome!  Lots of holsters and related gear on hand.

Great people to deal with also.

+1
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:13:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Ya I order my belt and VM2 and was told 16 weeks as well.. and it took 14 weeks to get it to me... But man well worth the wait..
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:35:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ya I order my belt and VM2 and was told 16 weeks as well.. and it took 14 weeks to get it to me... But man well worth the wait..

+1

You will be counting the days!!

Mine came in 14 weeks as well, I'm damn proud of it. Excellent workmanship, you'll be pleased!

I went with the Mr. Ed version since I am a sweater, post to follow in Carry Issues forum.

btw, it aint the holster, it's me -->

eta.. duh! already here
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks Cliffy!  I'll give 'em a call.  

They were out of stock.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:26:20 PM EDT
[#8]
another big +1 for Lightning Arms.  You might still want to place your order with them, as they have already placed their order and will probably get restocked before your order gets made.

(I bought both my left hand VM IIs via Lightning Arms, and had 'em in hand within 72 hrs)
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:06:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks ColtGuy and DVDTracker, but the very nice lady I talked to (I suppose it was Mrs. Chadwick) told me it would be MARCH before she expected any more.  She even suggested I call Sparks directly.  I was so disappointed that I forgot to ask her about the belt.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:24:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Another alternative to Milt Sparks or Lightning Arms.  Their selection is somewhat limited however:

www.topgunsupply.com/
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:11:25 AM EDT
[#12]
it sucks having to wait so long for a Milt holster but it is well worth it.  I ordered a Watch Six about a year and a half ago and it took about 8 weeks.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:27:10 PM EDT
[#13]
As I type this I am waiting on the UPS guy to deliver mine... it's almost 5:00PM where the hell is he?????????????

I ordered mine June 27th, so today would make just under or right at 13 weeks till delivery depending upon whether I get it tonight or on Monday.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:40:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
it sucks having to wait so long for a Milt holster but it is well worth it.  I ordered a Watch Six about a year and a half ago and it took about 8 weeks.  

How do you like your Watch Six? Any reholstering issues? I was thinking of getting one instead of the VMII due to the thinness of the Watch Six.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:55:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you like your Watch Six? Any reholstering issues? I was thinking of getting one instead of the VMII due to the thinness of the Watch Six.

I bought the W6 because of it being thin, I am pretty skinny and thought the reinforcement would stick out too much.   The W6 is by far my favorite holster, it fits me perfectly and I can hide my G19 with just a T shirt with no problems.

Reholstering isn't really a problem but sometimes it can be.  As long as you don't constantly have the holster on with out the gun inserted the holster should hold it's shape and not close on you.  Mine is still holding it's shape and the mouth has not closed.  90% of the time I don't have a problem holstering.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:30:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I watched one of my buddies wait 14 weeks for his VM2.  When I got my USPC45, I decided to give lightening arms a call.  I believe I placed my order on a thursday, and it was in hand on tuesday!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:41:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I guess it depends on the holster/pistol combination.

I called Lightning Arms back in May about a VM-2 for a P239.  They were out of stock and didn't anticipate any soon.  Milt Sparks delivered it yesterday; about 14 weeks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Speaking of the Milt Sparks VM2.I placed my order with Tom at www.topgunsupply.com Thurs. 10/20
at about 4:00pm and received it today Sat.10/22 at 11:40 am.Tom ran all the way to the post office to get my order out same day,and that was my first order.It was'nt like I was a big spender with his company it is the service he provides for everyone. I will order again soon,only maybe later in the day to see if he can run any faster By the way he is a stocking dealer for Milt Sparks.Give him a try you will be happy you did.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Took 13 weeks for my last one......but....well worth the wait!

Link Posted: 10/28/2005 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL875/3165911/6449842/95289125.jpg
pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL875/3165911/7400197/116362585.jpg

I just bought a S&W 442 and am plannin on ordering a pocket holster from sparks. how do you like yours? just wondering, im sure i wont be disapointed at all! im bummed he doesnt make a ankle rig - then i would get them all frmo him!
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

SWEETNESS!!  In the bottom pic what model Glock is that?  And what sort of pants do you wear when you carry your Smith in your pocket?  Very nice pictures BTW.

-yj
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 11:29:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SWEETNESS!!  In the bottom pic what model Glock is that?  And what sort of pants do you wear when you carry your Smith in your pocket?  Very nice pictures BTW.

-yj

i carry my smith in cargo shorts, cargo pants, and any loose pants or shorts. doesnt work in my jeans or nice slacks. i dont know if thats any different that BOS. i just figured i would chime in
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 6:14:47 AM EDT
[#23]
I just got mine after waiting 12 weeks.  This will be the 4th VM2 I ahve bought from them and I will say that as the rest it is very nice other than the shotty die job around the mouth of the holster.  You can see the tan color of the leather on both sides where the metal is around mouth and at the top of the holster too.  I'm not pissed or anything b/c it's gonna be in my pants anyway and it obviously doesn't effect the usability of the holster.

Anyone else ever have a problem w/ Milt Sparks.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:32:10 AM EDT
[#24]
My Milt Sparks holster and belt arrived Monday night!  See original post for comments.  Pics will come soon.

-yj
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#25]

What are your opinions on the 'Watch Six'?

How about with clips (instead of snap loops)?

www.lightningarms.com/products.htm
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:38:38 AM EDT
[#26]
I have both VM II and Watch Six, I like both.  The W6 is nice and thin and just about as stable as the VM II.  The W6's are all horse hide.  I love horse hide, it doesn't soak up sweat, it is almost stiff as plastic but way much easier on the finish.  

Other than the thickness, the only diff is the VM II has the front loop on that arm.  This just helps it mold to you a bit.  Both are very comfortable.  

I don't like the clips, just not as stable (to me).
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:28:25 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I have both VM II and Watch Six, I like both.  The W6 is nice and thin and just about as stable as the VM II.  The W6's are all horse hide.  I love horse hide, it doesn't soak up sweat, it is almost stiff as plastic but way much easier on the finish.  

Other than the thickness, the only diff is the VM II has the front loop on that arm.  This just helps it mold to you a bit.  Both are very comfortable.  

I don't like the clips, just not as stable (to me).

Thanks for the info.  How comfortable is horsehide compared to leather ( I currently have a Galco IWB similar to the Summer Special II but without the flap of leather to cover the safety).  

I've never used plastic, whats your take on that material?

thanks,
dan
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:46:52 AM EDT
[#28]
I love horse hide.  It has very fine pores, so it doesn't soak water.  It is stiff so breaking in takes a little longer but it also holds the pistol better for longer.  But once it is broken in, molded to you, it stays that way and is very stable and comfortable.

The plastic rigs (kydex) do a good job at holding the weapon, but they are hard and scuff the finish of the pistol pretty bad.  Kydex also has sharp edges that poke and scrape and I just can't deal with them.  

Horse is almost as stiff, def stiffer then cow and thinner than cow, but the edges don't cut and scrape.  It also seems the Horse hide, along with being thinner than cow, is lighter.  

The down side of horse is because of the fine pores, it doesn't take dye as well.  That is why you only see horse in a couple of colors like black, brown or natural.  I can live with that.

The W 6 and VM II  both have side guards as well.  

I don't think you can go wrong with either.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:19:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, I finally got around to posting my pictures such as they are.  Apparently I could take a few photography lessons from BrainOnSigs!  I appreciate the posts from FreeAmerican.  He's hit the nail on the head.  In fact I didn't know that horse hide was thinner than cow leather.  If I had known that I may have chosen horse hide instead.  However IMHO the extra ~3/16" width of the VMII (over the W6) is a small price to have a holster that stays open for re-holstering.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm quite sure the W6 is a great holster, but in my experience the hardest part of the weapon to conceal is the grip and so a little extra width at the belt line will never be noticible.  The irony to me is that my new VMII is much thicker than my old IWB holster and yet does a better job of concealing the handgun because of the way the holster holds the weapon against my side.  FreeAmerican makes two other points that I think are important.  The VMII has its front loop on a flexible arm that allows the holster to better mold to the wearer's side.  I would be willing to bet this one feature partially explains the price difference between the VMII and the W6.  Also mentioned was the extra flap of leather that protects the wearer's flank from the metal of the pistol's slide, hammer or sights.  This was actually a big selling feature for me since my Glock has aftermarket night sights that have rather sharp edges.  

-yj
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top