Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2002 12:13:31 PM EDT
I am buying my first handgun, the main purpose for it, is protection and I need to carry it concealed.I have been considering the SIG SAUER P-232 .380 cal.  or the KAHR P-40. What advice can you guys and gals give me? Thanks
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 1:48:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am buying my first handgun, the main purpose for it, is protection and I need to carry it concealed.I have been considering the SIG SAUER P-232 .380 cal.  or the KAHR P-40. What advice can you guys and gals give me? Thanks

Either one would be a good choice and there is little doubt that a 40cal will make bigger holes than a 380.

BUT...

the SiG230/232 is without a doubt the best close quarters pistol I have ever shot. Since it is a fixed barrel blowback operated pistol, it is a natural pointer and unbelievably accurate. If you can point your finger at something you can hit it with the 230's. The blued model is very light, it's thing and flat and easy to conceal.

If there is any drawbacks to the SiG 230 it is the european style mag release. The mag release is on the heel instead of the American style button on the side. Once you get used to that, mag changes are fast and sure. It's a single stack mag and you can care two or three easily.

As I said in the beginning, they are both good pistols. But I went with the SiG230 myself and of all my SiGs, it would be the last that I'd let go of.

Link Posted: 6/20/2002 10:32:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you considered getting a .22 and learning how to shoot a pistol?  I know, it sounds weak, and it's not a CCW option, but it will be cheap and easy (easier) to shoot.
Get the CCW and a side order of a Browning or Ruger .22.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:25:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I would go for the Sig.  Its easy to conceal,
and a .380 will do just fine for a ccw.  Also its not as "square" and "bulky" as the Kahr.

Also, I have "heard" that the Kahr is a little picky when it comes to hp ammo. (I don't know how true it is).

As always try to shoot as many as you can before you make your decision. All we can do is give advise. The final choice is up to you.
Go with what feels the best.

My $.02
qwk

Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for getting a 22 (Browning, Ruger, Smith, your choice) and learning to shoot before jumping into the concealed carry thing.  

If you're going to carry you have a responsibility to do so safely.  Get a 22, practice lots, then go onto the ccw thing.  

Link Posted: 6/21/2002 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, this is a real can of worms that you've opened here.  
Are you able to shoot the guns you're considering, either with friends who own them or go to a range and rent them, before your purchase?
No offense intended, but what is you level of experience and training?  How much are you willing to train? Etc., etc., etc.
Both are excellent firearms.
I for one would suggest that a Kahr in 9mm might be a better compromise between the two.
I will respectfully have to disagree with my co-moderator of the Sig forum, the P230 is the only Sig I don't like.  I'v had both a blue alloy frame and a stainless frame model.  Couldn't wait to get rid of both.
If I'm gonna carry a .380, I'll take an antiquated design ever time...the Walther PPK.
This is purely PERSONAL TASTE, not because the Sig P230/232 is a bad or inferior firearm.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#8]
WORMS.......aahhhh.....the other RED MEAT...............good with BBQ sauce......
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, if one of your choices is a .40 cal and your other choice is a Sig, why not a Sig P229 in .40 cal.  I have one of those and it is sweet.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you all for your advise, I am going to follow your advise and practice long and hard first before I actually carry anything, and I am checking the Kahr K-9, it really feels good.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Might I suggest a Glock 30 in .45 ACP?  I carry one daily, and it conceals quite easily.  It uses the powerful .45 round that is a great manstopper.  It's light, small, and has a 10 round magazine.  If your foe keeps coming after being hit with 10 rounds of .45, you're in trouble.

I also own a Sig P229 in .40 S&W.  It's a great gun as well, but a bit heavier than the Glock.

I also have a Kimber Ultra CDP (.45), which, as soon as I finish breaking it in, may become my prefered CCW.  It's light, small, thin, and has custom rounded edges.  It's expensive, however, even more than the Sig.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#12]
"No handgun is too small for carrying; for self-defense no handgun is too big!"  

Clint Smith Director of Thunder Ranch

I understand wanting to stay small for concealment purposes, but if your frame will allow you to conceal a larger gun/caliber, do it.

I like the suggestion of starting off with a .22 (not carried) to learn to accurately shoot a handgun, and do so incurring the least expense possible. As you grow comfortable get the gun you intend to carry and become proficient with it before you even think of carrying it.

Learn all of it's controls and learn them one handed. Then get your permit and begin to carry.

As soon as finances permit go to a high quality instruction facility, Thunder Ranch, Gunsite, and many more to choose from, and develop the right mindset to carry a firearm. Not to mention the excellent instruction on the technical/physical end of defensive shooting.

Above all else be confident in your carry gun and your ability/willingness, to use that firearm should it ever be necessary.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 8:24:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I vote for the Kahr P9. I had a stainless K-40, it was concealable, accurate and a bit too heavy for my taste. Still more concealable than a baby Glock IMHO. Baby Glocks are too wide.

My friend has a Sig230 very nice gun, but I vote for the Kahr with the American mag release.

It's also better for a beginner (no offence meant). No decocker... rack it then point and shoot. A very safe pistol to boot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top