Posted: 1/25/2014 7:22:55 PM EDT
Wish me luck!
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Why are you doing this?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:23:46 PM EDT
[#2]
A few reasons.

Mostly because I think it looks good on the compacts and Shields. Secondly, it  could theoretically get caught on something since I use a kydex holster with the top completely exposed. Also, if I decide to conceal it someday when I'm feeling brave enough for a full sized ccw, there is less to stick into me and less of it to conceal.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:10:16 AM EDT
[#3]
PICTURES: this thread is seriously lacking pictures
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:12:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I've seen some cut half way off that looked pretty sharp.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:21:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:46:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Never had an issue with CCW and mine, the beavertail makes it more comfortable to shoot anyway. Just my thoughts anyway.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:58:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I've considered doing this as well.

Curious as to your method, and to see the finished product.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Here's the finished product. I still need to get some finer sandpaper, or maybe just polish it down with a dremel and a buffing wheel, but I am super happy with it. I decided to leave it with a little hump of a beavertail and not take it all the way in to match the exact lines of the slide. Worked out great though. All I did was use a hacksaw blade to cut by hand, then sanded it in with a roll of rough emery paper to get the curvature I wanted. I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:07:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice work. Someone else here did a demo on a undercut trigger guard. They finished it by sanding with fine sandpaper, then rubbing with peanut oil, or linseed oil, something like that. The plastic was perfectly smooth and black again. It looked factory.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:21:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I would think a heat gun would work as well.
Reminds me of the USP without the Beavertail.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 6:30:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never had an issue with CCW and mine, the beavertail makes it more comfortable to shoot anyway. Just my thoughts anyway.
View Quote

AGREED! The beavertail makes the M&P (middies & large-Pro) size pistols very comfortable to shoot. I with my M&P compacts had them as I could my paws higher up and closers to the slide rails, making it shoot nearly as comfortable as the middie/pro size pistols.

OP, your cut job looks OK... but you need to run some finer grip sand paper and polish that out...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top