Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 5:53:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Grip screw use lock tight blue formula, now the springer mag. Springfield for some funny reason send these out under sprung. I used my loaded coupon and got ten of these mags, then call Wolff and got the 11# springs for them. These mags since the change out have been more reliable than the Wilson's 47d or the CMC Power Mags.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Also, FLGR's that don't fit correctly can cause running problems if they are too tight and bang up against the bottom of the barrel at the rear. Aside from that I haven't seen them actually hurt anything. But I don't think they add anything either, except in a gun that seems to be really loose they sometimes seem to make the operating cycle smoother.

Lots of big time smiths and users don't like 'em. I have gone both ways in the past but now don't feel I need them.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#6]
 Aimless...get rid of the FLGR....you'll be glad you did, they are nothing but a solution looking for a problem. Ed Brown has a nice GI set up that is VERY affordable and high quality.  You'll want to order the GI length Guide Rod and Plug set.    On the harsh recoil, get a Wolff 18.5 pound recoil spring, that soaks up a lot of kick.  Replace every 3000 rounds.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:01:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Now Ya'll could come to Florida and Visit Tallahassee and the 1911 work and range time would be free

Now if you're serious about that, then you might better be careful what you ask for...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:52:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I've noticed that SA recoil springs seem to lose tension pretty quickly, much faster then other makes for some reason. Go with a Wolff recoil spring in stock weight, you don't really need to go heavier. Lose the FLGR, they will either keep coming loose or you will end up locktiting them. Several years ago I dumped every FLGR I owned and I noticed no loss in accuracy, no increase in recoil and they were a heck of a lot easier to pull apart without worrying about them coming apart while shooting.

BTW, the increased recoil could be excessive slide speed caused by a weak recoil spring, easy and cheap to fix. Also, after you blue locktite the grip bushings in, degrease the screw threads before you replace them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top