Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2016 9:47:27 AM EDT
I have always lusted after the Mark 23. It's been one of the few guns I have obsessed over - especially after shooting one - but had always been more than I was willing to spend on a handgun.

I noticed prices have dropped almost $1k from when I last looked, and I would be selling a USP 45 to help fund it.

Yes, I know they are large. But it would be a dedicated suppressor host (TiRant 45M on the way) and would never leave the house except to go to the range. I have a dedicated carry weapon.

My mind is pretty much made up, but I was hoping someone could pitch in some advice. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#1]
For your intended purposes of range, not carry, it is a great choice. It is insanely robust and can withstand a lot of abuse even by HK standards, is very easy to shoot with accuracy, comes with great sights/trigger and a threaded barrel, and is considered a 'Grail gun' of sorts. It's right up there with the desert eagle and five-seven in terms of guns with very little practical application (that wouldn't better be served by other choices), that is still insanely cool and fun to own. I just got my five-seven, after I get the desert eagle, the Mk.23 is on my short list of 'fun range guns'.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 2:02:27 PM EDT
[#2]
If I had the money to spare its one of the guns I would buy for your same reasons. Not many handguns have been built to be a offensive weapon and the mark 23 was made to be that. Most handguns are defensive weapons. Theres a couple on the E.E. That I keep eyeballing but can't swing it right now.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:21:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Nope, cannot talk you out of one. Not all purchases have to be a dedicated operator level tier 1 one gun to do it all. It's okay to have a range toy.

And before anyone calls it a crew served, it is not and you need to do more PT.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:39:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Do it... Do it now!  Be sure to get a suppressor to go with it. She is my favorite pistol to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the replies. Are there really no options out there for tritium night sights for the Mark 23? I've found nothing but forums of people asking the same question...
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 3:00:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Been there, done that. & got one and zero regrets.

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 8:58:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Do it.  It's my favorite handgun.  It's completely ridiculous and impractical but man is it accurate and fun.

But a Ti-Rant 45M has no place on that gun.  All about the KAC OHG.
Mine:

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#10]
One more, because dimples are awesome:

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:15:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

But a Ti-Rant 45M has no place on that gun.  All about the KAC OHG.Mine:

View Quote

I would take a Tirant , Osprey or any newer can  over the KAC can if quiet is a main consideration,  IMHO.

The KAC is the original equipment suppressor and has not changed (much) since the 90's. Its heavy, expensive and louder than current technology cans and limited for use on other hosts if that matters.
The KAC dry is around 140 DB while the Osprey and others are around 133 DB which is a big difference.

The matching LAM is a nice piece as well but crazy priced for an incandescent light but does look cool as hell....

Link Posted: 3/28/2016 12:01:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I would take a Tirant , Osprey or any newer can  over the KAC can if quiet is a main consideration,  IMHO.

The KAC is the original equipment suppressor and has not changed (much) since the 90's. Its heavy, expensive and louder than current technology cans and limited for use on other hosts if that matters.

The KAC dry is around 140 DB while the Osprey and others are around 133 DB which is a big difference.

The matching LAM is a nice piece as well but crazy priced for an incandescent light but does look cool as hell....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

But a Ti-Rant 45M has no place on that gun.  All about the KAC OHG.Mine:

I actually find the tone (on the MK23) better than the "current gen" 45acp cans I own and have shot.  It may measure worse, but it sounds as good or better.  I agree on the heavy/expensive part though.

If you are buying a Mark 23 you are already buying outdated, overpriced awesomeness.  Might as well go all in.

Link Posted: 3/28/2016 3:00:22 AM EDT
[#13]
The KAC can is around 1500 to 1600, I would consider getting an Osprey or Rugged Obsidian, not only do you save five or six hundred but it's the quietest can currently on the market and its cleanable and has a lot of options the other cans don't, like the ability to go shorter and still be pretty quiet besides being able to use it on other guns and interchangeable Pistons with the Octane or Osprey incase you have them already or decide to get in the future.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#14]

I came across a good deal on a used one 10+ years ago and have never regretted buying it.  I love shooting it and my kids love shooting it because of the low recoil, the cool factor, and the fact that it is easy to shoot well.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2016 2:39:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I got a used one from my boss in 2008 for $1100. I love it. I have a TiRant 45 for mine, and at the time it was the quietest .45 can available. Maybe still is, idk. I would not get the KAC can, unless you just want to be really "authentic". I had a chance at a real Insight IR LAM once, but at $1600 it just didn't seem worth it. I'd like to rig something IR laser+illum for it that fits in a holster. I see there is now new gen civi stuff out there.

As has been said, it's super smooth, ridiculously accurate, and eats anything you feed it. The "selling points" are that it can fire .45+P+ (.45 Super) and weak WWB from the same mag without changing springs, and a minimum 60,000 round service life is easily attainable with no degradation in performance. A friend of mine loaded up some .45 Super casings to the old Triton Navy specs and it was impressive. You're looking at 100 yard .45 lethality. Yes it will hit and kill at that range. I keep a mag of those, and a mag of subsonic for suppressed use. Mine is the old Maritime semigloss finish, which I think looks the best. I do not use a thread protector on mine, so I can quickly screw the can on. That's the same reason the Navy didn't issue a thread protector for them. The threads start aft of the muzzle for protection already. If I didn't own a can I'd use one. NAVSEA had the SEAL teams turn theirs in several years ago. I heard the SDV teams held onto them the longest (and begged to keep them) because of their saltwater resistance and over-the-beach reliability. Idk if they got to keep any. Just some scuttlebut I heard. Awesome pistol though! Only downside is the size (not the weight), but at 6'2" with gorilla hands it doesn't bother me. The slide being long and square makes it easy to point at CQB distances.

Starline still sells the (thicker case web) .45 Super brass if you want to hand load. No manufacturer loads the hot stuff anymore, only 45+P. The Super wears out even the strongest 1911 springs in short order.

Link Posted: 3/29/2016 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have always lusted after the Mark 23. It's been one of the few guns I have obsessed over - especially after shooting one - but had always been more than I was willing to spend on a handgun.

I noticed prices have dropped almost $1k from when I last looked, and I would be selling a USP 45 to help fund it.

Yes, I know they are large. But it would be a dedicated suppressor host (TiRant 45M on the way) and would never leave the house except to go to the range. I have a dedicated carry weapon.

My mind is pretty much made up, but I was hoping someone could pitch in some advice. Thanks.
View Quote

Lust is good.  Do it.  You know you want to.

Mark23 with HK German suppressor height night sights, Doc Rak +4 mag extensions and CCFA (B&T) carbon fiber can

Link Posted: 3/29/2016 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Mark23 with HK German suppressor height night sights, Doc Rak +4 mag extensions and CCFA (B&T) carbon fiber can

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/Mobile%20Uploads/20150323_114348_zpslm2jzsfo.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/Mobile%20Uploads/20150323_114348_zpslm2jzsfo.jpg

Where did you gets the night sights? Close up of those would be great. Also, I ordered a Mark 23 from budsgunshop.com. Should be here Saturday. I'm part of the club
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 10:38:33 PM EDT
[#18]
If you want one, get one.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 1:12:18 AM EDT
[#19]
where do you guys even find them?  I live in Phoenix which is not gun shy and I go to quite a few shops and shows.  I think the only time I have seen one is when H&K comes out to the game and fish outdoor festival.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 2:25:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
where do you guys even find them?  I live in Phoenix which is not gun shy and I go to quite a few shops and shows.  I think the only time I have seen one is when H&K comes out to the game and fish outdoor festival.
View Quote
SAR Show this December, guaranteed to have one there among the other unicorns and unobtanium.

Or you could just go to a trusted LGS and ask them to order you one.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Where did you gets the night sights? Close up of those would be great. Also, I ordered a Mark 23 from budsgunshop.com. Should be here Saturday. I'm part of the club
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sights were from Larry at CCFA years ago.  I am amazed they still glow.  I probably don't want to know the amount of tritium in them. . I'll take a pic.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Tooltech Gunsight will install tritium sights in a MK23. They replace the white plastic inserts with vials. HK designed it this way (to a standard vial diameter).

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Mark 23 makes an awesome target pistol, very fun to shoot. Unless you have midget hand.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:56:49 PM EDT
[#24]
HK Mark 23 w/ AAC Ti-Rant 45 is the hot shit. Haters will hate. And thats fine too. Get one, and thank us later.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 7:54:55 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm very happy with mine, glad I got it.
Would not want it as my ONLY handgun, but it is a very accurate, super reliable, easy shooting gun.  Great fun with a suppressor (I also have a Ti-Rant).
If you can't find one, have one ordered or get online (I ordered mine through Bud's Gun Shop a few years ago, they appear to have them in stock.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#26]
For an offensive handgun, a Glock 40 in 10mm would be better, but this is a better host
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
For an offensive handgun, a Glock 40 in 10mm would be better, but this is a better host
View Quote

MK23 with .45 Super > G40 10mm

Link Posted: 4/12/2016 8:07:39 AM EDT
[#28]
There is nothing a Mk 23 can do that a USP 45 Tactical can't.

Weight is an issue.  Ounces = pounds.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 10:54:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
What does weight have to do with having something fun to shoot? The USP45 has a shorter sight radius, so it cannot do what the Mk23 does..
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:42:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nothing wrong with the USP's and they are tough as nails.
The MK23 just kicks that up a notch or two, or three.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:53:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Who says this will be used as an offensive gun? And the G40 wasn't even a thought in the drawing board when the requirements for the Mk23 trials came around.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:31:49 PM EDT
[#33]
It's an awesome range gun and if I had to "go to war" with only a pistol, it's my choice.  I've owned one for years and it's one of if not the most accurate 45 I own.  Awesome with an Osprey.  It's probably my most requested suppressed weapon to shoot.  Everybody that tries it loves it.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:41:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's an awesome range gun and if I had to "go to war" with only a pistol, it's my choice.  I've owned one for years and it's one of if not the most accurate 45 I own.  Awesome with an Osprey.  It's probably my most requested suppressed weapon to shoot.  Everybody that tries it loves it.

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr193/compuvette/73851d37aab90ab5ff3f1b2b7fde3f9c_zpsho2qrpqa.jpg
View Quote
First time I have seen a rail adapter like that. Details?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:50:17 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr193/compuvette/73851d37aab90ab5ff3f1b2b7fde3f9c_zpsho2qrpqa.jpg
View Quote
sweet photo

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:15:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a GG&G.  I've had it for years.  I used to have an LAM but someone offered me stupid money for it.  Now I'm probably going to get a Steiner DBAL-PL for it.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top