Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2004 12:45:22 PM EDT
Not a good day. I broke my slide release while competing!The gun still operates fine and holds the slide back when empty, but I do not know how to replace the slide release. Anybody here? Thank you for your help.Take care.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn how did that happen?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Was it a stock or extended slide lock?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:00:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Good question wedge. I was shooting and all I remember was this little piece came flying back at me. I thought maybe it was part of a jacket which can sometimes happen. I went to reload and tryed to sweep the slide release and it wasn't there! The external thumb pad had broken completely in half! The rest of it is still in the gun and functions normally but it gets kind of old releasing the slide by hand. To answer M4arc, it was the stock slide release. Luckily , I was able to finish the stage in alotted time.I'd like to replace with an after market part and while I'm at it install the trigger mechanism to lighten trigger pull. Any ideas? Thanks , take care.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Good question wedge. I was shooting and all I remember was this little piece came flying back at me. I thought maybe it was part of a jacket which can sometimes happen. I went to reload and tryed to sweep the slide release and it wasn't there! The external thumb pad had broken completely in half! The rest of it is still in the gun and functions normally but it gets kind of old releasing the slide by hand. To answer M4arc, it was the stock slide release. Luckily , I was able to finish the stage in alotted time.I'd like to replace with an after market part and while I'm at it install the trigger mechanism to lighten trigger pull. Any ideas? Thanks , take care.

Always happens at the worst time.  I was not even aware that this could happen.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:26:58 PM EDT
[#5]
This just happen to a friend of mine. What model was it? My friend was shooting the G-35 with the extended lever. Glock actually calls it a slide stop lever. It wasn't meant to be released with your thumb. It's an easy fix and the part should only cost $4-8 dollars. Sorry that happened to you. Just remember to release the slide by hand.

reddog
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#6]
A) Acquire a new slide stop.  Buy one or call Glock, I would assume Glock will mail you a new one.

Once you have it, it's very simple to replace.  All you'll need is a punch or suitable tool to push the trigger/slide stop pin through on the frame.  

A/B)Clear the weapon! (Safety first)

C)Remove the slide.

If you have a Glock model with two pins in the locking block, such as the 40 cals do, I would suggest you leave the top one in as the slide lock is held in by the bottom pin and your slide stop spring will rest BELOW the top pin. (If you have a 9mm or model with only one pin you have no worries)

D)Push the pin from Left to Right until it clears the slide stop- the slide stop is the last part on so it's the first one off the pin.

E)Take the new slide stop and push it in and align the holes- Re-insert the trigger pin.  FWIW- you should not have to push the pin completely out for the change.

***The only problem that can be experienced is if you have a two pin model such as the 10's and 40's-The problem is that some folks will install the bottom pin first and then the top.  By doing this- they'll then drive the top pin in and unless the slide stop spring is moved out of the way- the spring gets damaged as it is supposed to rest under the top pin.  If the spring is not moved out of the way- it'll get damaged and the SS won't function properly OR the Slide Stop spring will rest ON TOP of the upper pin which causes the SS to malf as well as reversing the direction of the action of the spring which in effect constanlty pulls the SS up instead of down.  (Hope that ain't to confusing)

F)Re-assemble, get to the range and Glock on!

Sly
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:00:20 PM EDT
[#7]
that's what you get for using it. On my 35 i use the extended release  for a thumb rest... I-W-D gave you pretty good directions. The large pin that holds your trigger as well as your slide stop only needs to be pushed out less than a 1/4 " out.  Push the pin  from the mag release ( left side ) to the ejection port  ( right side). Anytime you break down your glock ALL pins should be removed left to right. Glock Meister might be quicker with that part. They are always fast with shipping. Usually same day.

J
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:48:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks a bunch everybody. I should be up and running shortly. Take care.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top