Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/3/2006 7:01:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 7:02:50 AM EDT by Szurgot]
I expect my CCW in the mail any day now. I have never carried before legally or otherwise, and have never bought a holster other than some cheap nylon belt holster and a drop leg platform.

I have a Browning HP now, and plan to get a SA HD9 in the near future for carry purposes.

For the HP I like the garrity changeling, and for the HD9 I like the bladetech.

One is a IWB and the other a OWB, but other than what I have read from others, I dont know squat, and have not "handled" either. I THINK I will be carrying at about 4 oclock position.

Since I have never carried before, I dont know the advantages/disadvantages of each. (IWB vs. OWB)

I dont PLAN to carry all the time, just when I feel I am in a bad neighborhood, at night,etc.

I am sure alot of this is personal preference but what I your thoughts. Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:29:31 AM EDT
Personally I prefer IWB, but it can be uncomfortable at times. Particularly around the holidays when I'm not watching my diet. I used to buy bigger pants to accomodate IWB carry, but usually grew into them. I refuse to buy bigger pants now.
I highly recommend Milt Sparks holsters. I have the Watch Six for a 1911 Commander and love it. I put off getting one for years due to the cost and wish I hadn't. Now I have a box full of useless cheaper holsters that ended up costing me more in the end.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:27:55 AM EDT
I would think the IWB would conceal easier, but the OWB would be more comfortable. Am I correct?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:57:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Szurgot:
I would think the IWB would conceal easier, but the OWB would be more comfortable. Am I correct?

Not necessarily. OWB can be just as concealable depending on gun design, and with a good IWB, it's not uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:59:42 AM EDT
Any experience with the hosters and/or the pistols I mentioned for CCW?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:26:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 11:28:24 AM EDT by VBC]
There are three variables.

gun
holster
person

Don't be suprised if you go through several holsters and maybe even guns, until you fin the perfect fit for you. That's about par for people who seriously CCW. Even if somebody has had positive experience with your gun and holster combo mentioned, you may not like it.

Although you may get lucky and nail it on the first try.

I usually find small, thin guns are better for IWB. The large thick guns are more comfortable in OWB. Also, don't forget a good gun belt, especially if carrying OWB. It makes a lot of difference.

Sorry I'm not of any help.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:45:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By VBC:
There are three variables.

gun
holster
person

Don't be suprised if you go through several holsters and maybe even guns, until you fin the perfect fit for you. That's about par for people who seriously CCW. Even if somebody has had positive experience with your gun and holster combo mentioned, you may not like it.

Although you may get lucky and nail it on the first try.

I usually find small, thin guns are better for IWB. The large thick guns are more comfortable in OWB. Also, don't forget a good gun belt, especially if carrying OWB. It makes a lot of difference.

Sorry I'm not of any help.

Yeah, I understand alot of this is personal preference, but as my dad always said when I was young "Boy, you dont know shit from shinola." Such is the case here, and wanted to get some input before wasting my money on total crap.

The holster I am looking at the for the HP which is a slim gun is a OWB, and the HD is a litter wider and would probably be going the the OWB bladetech.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:51:41 PM EDT
IWB is my choice and it IS easier to conceal, because half the damn gun is inside your pants.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:30:51 PM EDT
There are much more concealable OWB holsters than blade-tech!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:46:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By roadrash:
There are much more concealable OWB holsters than blade-tech!

Dont leave me hanging here. Examples?

Now for a really stupid newb carry question:

Seems like sitting down, as in your car, would be a big poke in the ribs. Does it?
Do you take your gun out out of the holster because of this?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:30:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 5:32:25 PM EDT by VBC]
Milt Sparks Versa Max II and Watch Six seem to be favorites among many people. There are also Mitch Rosen, Kramer, DeSantis, Lou Alessi, Galco and a few others that are good holster makers.

Galco makes some decent leather gun belts. Or if you don't mind looking like a commando, a Wilderness nylon guide belt is a good alternative to leather. Also doesn't creak like a leather belt and holster will when it's new, if that would bother you.

Yes, a gun will poke you and be uncomfortable in some situations, like driving in some cars or reclining back on a couch, or trying to hug women who might make a scene over feeling a gun. It takes some experimentation to find the best rig for you and learn to live with a gun strapped to you. There are comfort/concealment advantages vs. effectiveness drawbacks almost any way you go.

As far as driving, I try to keep my gun on my person as much as possible. If you have to suddenly exit the car, the gun will be with you.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:31:53 PM EDT
Personally I have been looking at this holster.

It also helps that they are made in Phoenix, Arizona so I gotta support my state...right?

All the words spoken before are extremely true.
I've been through the following guns so far:
-Glock 17
-Glock 30
-Ruger Sp101
-HK USP Compact 9mm

I'm hoping my Colt lightweight commander will be my last gun....
www.usgalco.com/HolsterG3.asp?ProductID=239&GunID=38
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:35:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 5:37:01 PM EDT by Strazz]

Now for a really stupid newb carry question:

Seems like sitting down, as in your car, would be a big poke in the ribs. Does it?
Do you take your gun out out of the holster because of this?

When sitting in a car, you will notice the gun more than at other times. You may find it uncomfortable at first, but you'll get used to it. After I get into the car and get comfortable, I almost forget that the gun is there, even on long trips.

The gun/holster combination can make a big difference (depending on butt and barrel length) and so can the shape of the seat. The less the gun is pressed into the seat (and into you), the more comfortable it will be. Larger guns and seats that wrap around your body will be less pleasant.

It's important to remember that everybody's body is different, so you WILL buy several holsters, and maybe several guns, before you finally find the best combination for you. The best combination for me is a Glock 19 and a Milt Sparks Watch Six.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:49:51 PM EDT
All good information. If you think of anything else, please chime in.

Too bad about the "having to buy more than one gun" thing. I guess I will muttle throught that part.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:05:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 6:05:45 PM EDT by Stasher1]

Originally Posted By Msokol13:
Personally I have been looking at this holster.

It also helps that they are made in Phoenix, Arizona so I gotta support my state...right?

All the words spoken before are extremely true.
I've been through the following guns so far:
-Glock 17
-Glock 30
-Ruger Sp101
-HK USP Compact 9mm

I'm hoping my Colt lightweight commander will be my last gun....
www.usgalco.com/HolsterG3.asp?ProductID=239&GunID=38

I carry my Stainless Pro Carry in a Galco "Concealable". Very, very comfortable.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:51:38 PM EDT
I would recommend one of each IWB and OWB with a good belt!

For IWB, would recommend a www.highnoonholsters.com like a Mr Softy or Hidden Alley. I have a Mr Softy and works great..

For OWB, any number of holsters would work. Most of mine are Bianchi.

For belt,, stiff 1.5 inch belt with a good clasp.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:20:18 AM EDT
not to get off subject but what is IWB and OWB???
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:44:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rangerman2003:

Inside/outside waistband.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:23:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tim84K10:

That much,at least I knew, although not much else
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:24:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tim84K10:

That much,at least I knew, although not much else

You'd have to look at individual holster models to understand which ones we're talking about. There are many popular holsters for both IWB and OWB carry.

I personally have a Milt Sparks Versa-max II that I carry my 1911 in, and several OWBs in both Kydex and Leather.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:19:44 PM EDT
I carry my full size Kimber IWB 24/7 except for work. I have gone through many holsters and have settled on the Galco SkyOps. I chose this one due to the ease of concealment when a tucked in shirt is required, which for me is very often. I find it very comfortable.
Since you live just around the corner from me you are more than welcome to come drop by and try it on.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:42:34 PM EDT
BHP was almost designed to be a perfect IWB carry gun with its extremely thin slide. I was very impressed by this virtue of BHP that my Glock/Sig/USPc don't have.

By concealing the slide, BHP will disappear into your pants and the cover garment on top.

I'd heartily recommend Milt Sparks Versa Max II. I too tried to save money by buying $50-60 IWB holsters and they are not that great. I ended up selling off these.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:11:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Brians_45:
I carry my full size Kimber IWB 24/7 except for work. I have gone through many holsters and have settled on the Galco SkyOps. I chose this one due to the ease of concealment when a tucked in shirt is required, which for me is very often. I find it very comfortable.
Since you live just around the corner from me you are more than welcome to come drop by and try it on.

How come you are always trying to get me to go to your house. You got a crush on me or something? I kid you, and I may swing by one day or just see it at the next shoot. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:19:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Graziani:
BHP was almost designed to be a perfect IWB carry gun with its extremely thin slide. I was very impressed by this virtue of BHP that my Glock/Sig/USPc don't have.

By concealing the slide, BHP will disappear into your pants and the cover garment on top.

I'd heartily recommend Milt Sparks Versa Max II. I too tried to save money by buying $50-60 IWB holsters and they are not that great. I ended up selling off these.

Does the Milt Sparks Versa Max II come in a HP specific holster or are you getting one for the 1911? Do you have a link on where to buy? I did a search and found lots of reviews (all good), but who sells the damn things.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:28:18 AM EDT
You are going to want to experiment with the degree of cant/tilt on the gun butt, which will depend on where on your waist you carry it and the grip/angle of your wrist.

Try experimenting with it stuck in your jeans (unloaded ;) ) before you buy a holster.

I had an EARLY Blade-Tech.

Consider a Kramer horsehide.

A lot is personal comfort/use/how often/etc.

Don't try to save $ on the holster. Experiement, ask around, get what you like! A bad holster will make you less likely to carry.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:37:30 AM EDT
I'm six feet tall and I weigh 170. I can hide a full size 1911 under a tee shirt that's one size too small (for youth fashion) in an Alessi PCH. Call me crazy, but Galcos and Bladetechs just won't do that for me.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:10:09 PM EDT

Does the Milt Sparks Versa Max II come in a HP specific holster or are you getting one for the 1911? Do you have a link on where to buy? I did a search and found lots of reviews (all good), but who sells the damn things.

Milt Sparks holsters are made to order, Yes, you will get one specifically for the Browning High Power if that's what you order (it'll fit it like a glove).

There is a substantial wait if ordering directly from Milt Sparks' site (several months currently) but it's well worth it (wearing my new Versa Max II now, as I have all week).

If you don't want to wait, and are willing to pay a premium, you can try one of the stocking dealers
Top Gun Supply or
Lightning Arms (this is where I got my first, and they even stock some left handers!).

Any way you slice it, this holster is IMHO the very best I've seen/worn/tried. It effectively hides a full sized 1911, and makes it comfortable for me (including sitting/driving).

T Bone (Detroit).
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:10:00 PM EDT
I've gone thru 4 pistols and countles holsters from DeSantis, Safariland, Galco, Fist (Jim Murnack), etc......
As said by others, a particular holster/gun combo will work differently for different people. Some will "fit", others won't. Safariland makes excellent leather....but for me, they tend to ride too "high". And then there was the buddy of mine who hated his DeSantis HRT (rode too low), but mine fits me like a glove.
Just make sure you shop from "quality" manufacturers. You typically get what you pay for. Don't skimp on quality leather (putting a $500 pistol in a $10 POS "holster", for example). Make sure whatever holster you choose holds your pistol tight (yet is easy to draw from when needed). Make sure it doesn't move around on your belt (so it's always in the same spot....evey time).
Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:54:39 PM EDT
most appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:02:34 PM EDT

How come you are always trying to get me to go to your house. You got a crush on me or something? I kid you, and I may swing by one day or just see it at the next shoot. Thanks.

That's just wrong, man.

I had it at the last shoot, didn't you notice?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:20:29 PM EDT

That's just wrong, man.

I had it at the last shoot, didn't you notice?

No, actually I didnt notice. You were concealing properly, well done.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:55:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/9/2006 9:56:36 PM EDT by ORinTX]
I'm gonna tell you what I tell everybody who is new to carry.

Save yourself time and money, and get a Sparks Versa Max 2. That way you won't have a drawer full of 10 zillion holsters like I did.

Order one of his belts and mag carriers while you're at it. OWB mag carriers work pretty well and are very easy to conceal because they don't go down nearly as far as a handgun.

Lightning arms and Top Gun Supply keep sparks gear in stock so if they have what you need you don't have to wait 18 weeks, which is what Sparks is telling me the current backlog is.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:26:38 AM EDT
Whatever IWB holster you buy, get a quality matching belt with it. NOT a Wallyworld special.

Wear your pants one size too large or buy loose fit jeans. When you get your rig, wear it all day everyday for a week, both you and the rig will break in. After that time you'll find out exactly where on your body you want to position the holster. As much as a quarter inch will make the difference in concealment and comfort.

Yes it will poke you in the ribs at times, but as Clint Smith says: " Guns are supposed to be comforting, not comfortable".

My guns and IWB holsters are as follows.

Glock 22, Ted Blocker LFI Rig.
Glock 30, Mitch Rosen ARG.
Wifes Glock 26, Mitch Rosen ARG.
Springfield 5in. 1911, Mitch Rosen ARG. Are you seeing a trend here?

All of the rigs have a Mitch Rosen SOS for a 6P light and a mag. Plus each rig has another single mag pouch, so a total of 2 mags can be carried with any of the rigs.

Some guns lend themselves to IWB carry better than others. My Glock 30 is noticable. ie; I know it's there, nobody else will. I'm wearing my Springfield 1911 right now, and don't even think about it.

Spend the money on a quality matching rig the first time. Everytime I bought a lesser rig, I ended up comparing it to the Mitch Rosen ARG. As others have said Sparks and others make quality leather. Shop wisely the first time, you won't be sorry. Hope this helps you out.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:52:20 PM EDT
Belt.

Belt belt belt.

Get a _good_ belt - I use a 1 1/4" from Milt Sparks, whether I'm wearing the VM-2 or a Kydex OWB paddle. You may be able to get a wider belt, but that one works with my dress pants. The other major holster makers will build equally good belts - but without a good belt, you're not going to be comfortable long-term.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:59:34 AM EDT
Get a good holster, but even more importantly, a good belt to match. I like Rosen and Kramer, they have worked for me. Most importantly, get what works with YOUR body type, same with gun (shape can have allot to do with it).

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:12:11 PM EDT
I too just got my CCW (last Thursday, actually)...having recently moved to the free midwest from NY, just owning a handgun was a new and fun experience, let alone carrying one I've read, done some training, etc...

I, too, am in the same position as you, except I'm a big guy (250+lb, 6+ foot tall), and I like to wear my jeans low.

IWB isn't much of a good choice for me, given that. Yah, I could just lose the weight, but what fun is that? So, that means I'm stuck OWB.

I've spent the money on a Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig, which works very well..since I usually wear big chamois overshirts (untucked), it pretty much disappears underneath. A 5" 1911 tends to show if I bend down or something, but sitting or standing, it's pretty much invisible. A 3" 1911 disappears completly, even if I'm wildly gyrating. It's not the most accessable but it is comfortable and if I need it, it's not as hard to get to as a SOB (small of back) holster. A movement to the shoulder holster would look natural, whereas reaching all the way back there tends to make people nervous, cause there's not much else to reach for back there, except a weapon. (Not scientific fact, but just in daily observation, watching people..)

For the hell of it, a few hours ago I stopped by the local Cabelas, and picked up a Galco Yanqui holster...and wow, does it conceal well with an untucked shirt. The 5" is a little long, but a 3" practically disappears...and considering how big and round I am, that's a feat. I've tried concealing a 228 in a Bianchi Shadow II, either canted or straight up...it's a bit thick; it prints fairly easily (not to mention it's a bit long). I've tried concealing an HK USPc in .40, using an Uncle Mike's kydex paddle holster...not only does the paddle come out when trying to draw (which is slightly inconvenient), but it also sticks out like a brick. Bending over or sitting down with both tends to shove the grip out, making it either look like my happy place has been transplanted to my waist and something just rubbed me the right way, or I am in fact carrying a weapon. The Yanqui doesn't do that. I just wish the Yanqui had a thumb break, but then again, I don't plan on rolling around and getting inverted, so weapon retention with the tension screws is more than enough for me.

I also have a Springfield XD45ACP that I'm probably going to see about carrying...but, that's in the future. It's a pretty big gun, so I don't know how well I'll be able to hide that without using a Jedi Mind Trick on everyone within eyesight.

As you can tell I've already decided on using a 1911 as my carry weapon. Partly because I love them, partly because they're so thin it's very easy to conceal, and partly because it launches a big heavy bullet. I can stick the 3" in a coat pocket (as I did today while holster shopping) and it'll totally disappear. Couldn't do that with the USP or Sig, unless I was wearing a very bulky coat.

I'm about %100 confident that these holsters will NOT be my last ones. Yah, I have about $250 in holsters already...but there's a lot of stuff out there to check out.

The upside is that by the time I'm done, I'll have a holster for every occasion

As others have said...shop around. You'll spend a lot of money, which is a downer...but, at the end of the process you'll have holsters for every occasion, be it summer at the beach to tuxedo wearing at a wedding to ..well, you get the idea.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:04:28 PM EDT
Evil_Ed:

Get a good belt and I bet you can conceal that 228 and USP compact. I'm 5'9 and a bit chubby and I can carry a USP compact fairly easily.

Milt Sparks! Check Lightning Arms and Top Gun Supply -- save yourself some money and skip the drawer full of unused holsters like I have.

I can't stress the importance of the belt enough.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:55:07 PM EDT
just ordered my milt sparks holster today. thanks for all the useful info. still havent decided if the belt is worth an additional $105.current wait time is 12-16 weeks.oh well,guess i will be waiting
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:32:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cobra29svt:
just ordered my milt sparks holster today. thanks for all the useful info. still havent decided if the belt is worth an additional $105.current wait time is 12-16 weeks.oh well,guess i will be waiting

They generally run two weeks earlier than quoted! I received my latest VMII two weeks ago after about 10.5 weeks!
Top Top