Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2004 1:11:37 AM EDT
My wife recently took up shooting for home/personal defense and has so far only tried the Glock 27 (0.40).  She found the recoil was managable and the gun seemed to have adequate punch and stopping power.  She also liked the weight and fit of the gun.

Our first question is whether there are other Glock variants we should consider before we go out and buy the 27 and why?

Secondly, I found it difficult to load more than 5 rounds into the magazine at a time.  Is it normal for the magazine spring to be so tough, or could it be that the range gun we rented was new.

Thanks for the help.        
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:22:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Have her try the Glock 23, which is the next size frame up from the 27.  I myself dont' like the grip angles of the 26, 27 and 33s but the straighter grips angles of the next size frame up G19, 23, 32 fit me just fine.

Unless your really stuck on getting a .40 cal have her try a 9mm.  Then when you want to shoot or carry it for self defense get yourself some +P or +P+ ammo that the Glock is actually designed to use.  Practice ammo is cheaper in 9mm too.  A .40 isn't really a great caliber to learn on.  Thats like learning to drive a stick shift using a 24ft straight truck.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:26:31 AM EDT
[#2]
The subcompact Glocks can be a real finger pincher when slamming a fresh mag home. I don't have large paws but they still get between the baseplate and the short grip.

If you use mag extensions the grip is almost the same length as the grip of the compact.

I'm liquidating my subs because there's nearly zero size advantage and because I don't pinch the old hands w/ the compacts. Plus I get a couple of extra rounds. YMMV

Glocks come w/a mag loader. While not necessary I find they make life much easier.

Good luck

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:28:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you all for your suggestions.  

Is there a significant difference in "stopping power" between a 9mm and a 0.40 cal round?  Also, I agree with "gotm4" that the straighter angle of the handle-grip on the Glock 22 appealed more to me than the slanted grip found on the 27.  

I did consider the possibility of getting hurt whilst reloading the magazine on the 27 because of the short handle-grip, but it didn't seem to be a problem for my wife who has very small hands.

By the way, I need enlightenment on what is "+P or +P+" ammo?

We were warned at the range that the 27 was not a particularly easy weapon to start off with.  My wife shot within a 2-inch diameter at about 12-15 yards consistantly; is this accuracy (based on the gun, caliber & distance) acceptable?  What practice distance would you recommend for self-defence?

Personally, I just love the Glock 22!  I also tried the full-sized, long barrel Glock 24 and 35 but wasn't too impressed as I did not notice any advantage over my favorite 22, considering their added weight and length.  

I haven't noticed much said on the 22 on this forum, do you guys like it too?

With best regards    
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I believe the G26 would serve her better when used in conjuction with +p+ 9mm ammo for a home/personal defense weapon. If her group size was good with the G27, the G26 groups will be even better. As mentioned, practice ammo in 9mm is cheaper all the way around. And if she's going to feel proficient with the G26, she should practice as much as possible. My G26 is plenty accurate from 30 feet, but I daily carry my G17 because it fits my extra-large paws better and offers 7 more rounds per mag.

Add the pinky extension to her G26 mags and spread out her grip a bit. This will give her a more confident trigger pull and better support while firing. I hate having my fingers crammed together just to keep them all on the grip.

HS1
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Thank you all for your suggestions.  

Is there a significant difference in "stopping power" between a 9mm and a 0.40 cal round?  Also, I agree with "gotm4" that the straighter angle of the handle-grip on the Glock 22 appealed more to me than the slanted grip found on the 27.  Using a good +P or +P+ 9mm the difference is VERY small.

I did consider the possibility of getting hurt whilst reloading the magazine on the 27 because of the short handle-grip, but it didn't seem to be a problem for my wife who has very small hands.

By the way, I need enlightenment on what is "+P or +P+" ammo?
Ammo that is loaded above SAAMI limits for pressure.  Glocks were designed for NATO pressure rounds and work best with them actually.  NATO pressure is in the +P+ neighborhood.

We were warned at the range that the 27 was not a particularly easy weapon to start off with.  My wife shot within a 2-inch diameter at about 12-15 yards consistantly; is this accuracy (based on the gun, caliber & distance) acceptable?  What practice distance would you recommend for self-defence?
That's very good accuracy.  I do most of my practice from 7yds.  I do shoot up to 25yds with handguns.  Most of my practice is for defensive use so long range accuracy isn't really practiced.  You must think that in a defensive shooting every shot you fire must be accounted for and that you must be in fear for your life.

Personally, I just love the Glock 22!  I also tried the full-sized, long barrel Glock 24 and 35 but wasn't too impressed as I did not notice any advantage over my favorite 22, considering their added weight and length.  Added weight reduces recoil and the longer slide of the 24 and 35 put the sights farther apart which helps with accuracy and a lighter trigger.  Try USPSA, IPSC or IDPA and you'll see what I mean.

I haven't noticed much said on the 22 on this forum, do you guys like it too?
Good pistol, personally I like the G21(.45ACP), G31(.357SIG) and G17(9mm) better.  The G22 is no slouch though.  Shoot what works for you everyone is different

With best regards    

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I have tried but just could not take the G26/27 minis to my breast. I much prefer the G19/23/32 guns. Another point seldom mentioned with ultra short handgun grips is the fact that, even though they can be shot accurately in deliberate use, many are very difficult to obtain a quick but good "shooting grip" on from a holster, etc. and can also be difficult to index on the target quickly even at short ranges.  Let her try some "Oh Shit!" quick grab and shoot drills from a purse, holster or bag, etc. with any gun she thinks she likes and see what the results are. For me, the G26/27/33 requires more extension on the bottom of the grip for such use...thus my preference for the G19 sized guns. I have no guarantee that I may not need the gun in a hurry, and the single most important part of the draw is the initial grip on the weapon.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:57:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I have fired my friends G27 a few times. The only problem was it was too small in MY hands.  HE loves it.  Sold his G23, as the G27 shot smaller groups.  Both of us were very surprised how well the G27 shot.

If your wife is new to shooting and can hold 2" groups @ 15 yds w/ that gun, I say she is doing VERY well.  As far as practice distance for self defense, everything from up close and personal,3-5 ft, to 15yds should be fine.  Remember most of the personal defense situations that civilians will come across will be at arms length to 15-20ft .  If she is going to CCW then practice using it from the holster @ the shorter distances.  This is how I think of it: either I will get "jumped" on the street thus needing to act fast  from the holster, or a break in @ the house; longest hall/room is about 30ft.  The G27 isn't a target gun so longer distances(25-50yds) isn't really a fair job for it.

As far as stopping power: Oh my that's a can of worms.  You will hear every cal is the best for one reason or another.  IMHO 9mm,.40SW,.45ACP,10mm,.357mag, ect. will all do just fine if you do your part.

+P, +P+ is a term used for increased pressure in a round.  Usually, everything else being the same,  more pressure = more velocity = more ft/lbs of energy.

FB
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:54:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a Glock 22 and was really glad I sold it now looking back. The Glock 17 is more manageable and cheaper to run. If I were to buy another Glock it would be between the Glock 31 or the Glock 21. That .357 Sig is starting to grow on me! I would suggest looking at the Glock 32 or 19, leaning towards the 19 for your wife. It should be a decent size, and the 9mm can be very manageable.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I find the G-26very accurate and very comfortable to shoot.  I find no loss of accuracy or control in the small G26.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#10]
The Glock 26 with a Pearce mag extention is one sexy looking gun.

Seriously, I'm only familiar with the 9mms because my Department only authorizes 9mm.  Comming out of the Academy, fairly new to pistols, I was shooting better with my 26 than my 19, which surprised me because I figured with the larger/heavier pistol, the recoil would be less.  I was told by one of my instructors that the subcompact Glocks recoil system negates that, giving an even smoother recoil than the larger models.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow, thank you all for the very useful feedback and suggestions!  

It certainly looks like our seach has been narrowed down to either choosing the G19 or G26.  The cost savings in ammunition alone (9mm vs 0.4 cal) should be significant in the long run, since we intend to practice shooting once a week.

"ikor" did make an interesting point that the shorter grip found on the G26/27 might hamper securing a good grip in a 'quick-draw' situation, and hence suggested the longer grip handles found on the G19/23/32 instead.  Certainly make sense to me, but I think that it ulimately depends on the operator's hand size and fit towards a specific grip design.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:53:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I like my G19, never had any problems...Well weak mag spring on an old NFML mag.  Replaced w/ Wolff XP spring, no probs since.

If this is going to be a CCW gun you will need to think how she is going to carry it.  The smaller 26 would be a bit easier to hide.

FB
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#13]
love mine

At times a handful to shoot but I like the power and the size combination.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:03:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Would it be legal to wear a gun holstered on the hip but in plain view of the public, or does it have to be "hidden" from view?  

Also, I believe that I would be nervous about someone grabbing my gun from behind if it is holstered on the hip.  Is there any trick to negate this potential risk of being shot with your own weapon?

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Would it be legal to wear a gun holstered on the hip but in plain view of the public, or does it have to be "hidden" from view?  

Also, I believe that I would be nervous about someone grabbing my gun from behind if it is holstered on the hip.  Is there any trick to negate this potential risk of being shot with your own weapon?

Personally I am not an open carry kind of guy.  While it is legal in MY home state, I always carry it hidden.

Washington seems to be a shall issue state, so just fill out the forms and get a permit. Also, may have to take a safety class...I don't know.

www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/washington

FB
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

This all depends on your State and it's laws.  There are only a few that allow Open Carry.  Most are Concealed carry

A proper holster, being aware of your surroundings, and proper training.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#17]
i love my G27.  I've carried a g27 for almost 5 years now. Great carry gun. IMO. Now for the guys who are  crying about the grip. First off  he is talking about his wife. She probably has smaller hands than us.    Secondly  just put a mag for a 23 in the 27. slap a 13 rounder in it  or a 10 rounder. Don't like the look the mag hanging or or the feel? Do this.

J
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#18]
The G27 is my favorite handgun hands down!!
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Just picked one up today. I love it. I also have a 26 and 19.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I love my G27, in my book for summertime the G27 and my Smith Airweight 642 is the only way to go, in winter or cool  weather it's my 19 with 2 15 rounders!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Just wear kevlar gloves.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:03:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:46:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I love my 27, it took some getting used to but after i added the pearce finger extension my groups got tighter, I also practiced dry firing and letting off so slightly till it clicks and then that helped out also, i had a 23 also but the recoil seems less on the 27 because of the duel recoil sytem. You can also convert to 9mm, .357 sig. G27 all the way
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:12:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Can anyone comment on the reliability of a Glock with regards to jamming and other mechanical failures experienced - if any?

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:19:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Fingerprints + Application - Felony = Permit

Technically open carry is legal.  However, disturbing the peace isn't and you would most likely get arrested for it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:57:41 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Technically open carry is legal.  However, disturbing the peace isn't and you would most likely get arrested for it.

Sorry, but I don't quite get your point.  How is 'open-carry' legal, and yet considered 'disturbing the peace'?

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#28]
My G27 is my "don't walk out the door without it" pistol that I carry daily.  When it gets colder I sometimes carry my G22, but my G27 is much easier to carry and gets the call 95% of the time.  I have them both set up the same - Trijicons and NY1 springs.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:14:25 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, but I don't quite get your point.  How is 'open-carry' legal, and yet considered 'disturbing the peace'?

It is technically LEGAL in many places. However, that does not mean you should walk out in a large crowd or down a big street with your full size 1911 on your hip for all to see. Some people would get upset or freak out, maybe even call the cops.

In certain settings, it obviously wouldn't be such a big deal e.g. if you are out in the woods, or riding your horse on a trail, or in a more rural and tolerant setting.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:28:40 AM EDT
[#30]

It is technically LEGAL in many places. However, that does not mean you should walk out in a large crowd or down a big street with your full size 1911 on your hip for all to see. Some people would get upset or freak out, maybe even call the cops.

In certain settings, it obviously wouldn't be such a big deal e.g. if you are out in the woods, or riding your horse on a trail, or in a more rural and tolerant setting.

Point noted, thank you.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:31:23 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I have them both set up the same - Trijicons and NY1 springs.

Can you please elaborate on what is "Trijicons & NY1 Springs"?  I am new to guns.  Thanks.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top