Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2004 4:42:17 PM EST
I'm about to buy a Les Baer SRP Comanche in Bear Coat and am worried about the finish. How do you install the slide stop without scratching the frame, leaving the dreaded idiot mark? I'm terrified of buying such a high quality pistol and then scratching the finish on it!

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:45:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/14/2004 4:49:31 PM EST by SO-COM]
this is how i do it:
-retract the slide to where the notch lines up for the slide stop
-align the slide stop so that its pressing against the plunger
-put a thumb on each side of the slide stop, and press down at each other (top finger is pushing down and towards the frame, bottom is pushing up and towards the frame). If the pressure it equal it should push by the plunger and pop in without hitting the metal.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:49:01 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/14/2004 4:50:13 PM EST by wolffie]
Very carefully. I will usually set the pistol on a terry cloth towel while I'm cleainging it, and use two hands to guide it in. I'll rotatate it so the slide stop catch is over the trigger guard while I guide the pin into the hole on the slide and the link on the barrel. Then, I'll back it out a little to rotate the slide stop around and guide it into it's notch bracing it between my thumb and forefinger (like mentioned above).

Got that? Enjoy your Les Baer and don't worry so much about it. It was built to be used.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:16:56 PM EST
I have 2 Les Baers.
The coating is very durable.
I have/use a small plastic screwdriver that I use to depress the plunger.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:34:49 AM EST
With care, and a two handed approach, you can avoid the Idiot Marks... I've gotten them on just about every 1911 that I've owned, except the one I currently have (Milspec Parkerized). Guiding it in with two hands helps a lot.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:12:21 AM EST
Top Top