Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2006 7:16:12 PM EDT
So my Springy likes it rough. I unload it every now and again for when I don't carry it and for when I practice trigger control so I usually rotate the rounds in the mag. Unfortunately I got lazy and haven't done it in a few weeks. I did it tonight and examined the round that was in the chamber compared to a couple others from the mag and it looks like the bullet is set back about a milimeter(no calipers.) Should I toss the round or is it safe to fire? It's .45acp.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:05:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Usally the rounds should get longer and not shoter from loading the same round over and over.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:58:08 AM EDT
[#2]
No, that can happen often when the SAME round is slammed into battery over & over.

#1 DO NOT FIRE any bullet that has that has since been squashed down into the casing. The presure can be raised dramatically causing a dangerous situation for you and/or the gun.

#2 Don't rack the same freaking bullet over & over (esp if you are doing this 3-99 times daily). Instead clear, screw around, and rack a fresh one. After a certain time the ammo should be cycled downrange & replaced anyway.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:14:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:53:34 PM EDT
[#4]
sounds like he's thinking of case stretch for re-loading, not chambering.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Usally the rounds should get longer and not shoter from loading the same round over and over.

never seen that.

I think he is talking about just putting one in the chamber,and letting the slide hammer it home(maybe he has an external extractor)then the bullet could move forward!!

I'm sure someone will come along and tell him why he should not do this!

Bob
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:51:34 PM EDT
[#6]
laws of mass and motion.. it can happen. How many times you would have to do it. My guess you would loose the ammo before it happens.

What I am refering to is load a mag with one round from slide lock let the slide fly home. repete , repete....repete.

theroy would work the same as an Impact Bullet Puller.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:45:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Have never seen a bullet start to move forward.

Have seen many bullets pushed back into the case due to repeated chambering.

A reduced OAL will cause pressure to increase to dangerous levels.

If it looks wrong, discard it.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:48:42 AM EDT
[#8]
The bullet will be pushed back, not the other way around.   It is bumped against the feedramp on it's way in.    

I wouldnt worry about it too much with a standard pressure round (45acp only)but it may be an issue with +P stuff.    If you have one that is showing signs of setback I'd just remove it from the carry ammo and shoot it on your next trip out.   Dont allow it to become a problem.    
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the responses. I'm usually good about cycling through my ammo I just got lazy. I need to buy some new hollowpoints anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top