Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
4/18/2021 9:59:29 PM
Posted: 6/3/2008 7:00:20 PM EDT
And what kind of problems, if any, can too much cause?

Thanks.

Title edited for clarification.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:54:30 PM EDT
I dunno, mine had a little overhang, everything functioned well, so I just blended it to the frame.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:10:11 PM EDT
Hows the hammer down geometry look? Or you talking cosmetic?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:59:32 AM EDT
Of my 7 1911s, all mid-level Colts and SAs, the max mis-match between slide and frame is approx. 0.030 in.  Most are flush for all practical purposes.  The pistol with the most overhang, is an original S70 government. Within reason, I think it's all cosmetic.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:23:47 AM EDT

Quoted:
Of my 7 1911s, all mid-level Colts and SAs, the max mis-match between slide and frame is approx. 0.030 in.  Most are flush for all practical purposes.  The pistol with the most overhang, is an original S70 government. Within reason, I think it's all cosmetic.

So 1/16 to 1/8 inch is too much?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:58:00 AM EDT
Everything else being correct, rear overhang is purely cosmetic.  

1/16 sounds normal for a new barrel and slide fitting depending on manf.  Disconnector notch and thumb safety notch are my guides.  Once those two are meet I blend the slide.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:52:14 AM EDT

Quoted:

1/16 sounds normal for a new barrel and slide fitting depending on manf.  Disconnector notch and thumb safety notch are my guides.  Once those two are meet I blend the slide.

Sounds like a good rationale in terms of functionality. In general, however, I don't think it's reasonable, just on general principles,  to have to hand-finish anything other than a bargain basement piece into cosmetic acceptability . Unless the piece is stainless, a refinish would be required to cover up the areas that had been reworked.
I don't own any high-end guns, and have a mix of older and current manufacture and as noted, all of them have less than 0.030 mismatch. Half of the reason (at least for me) in owning 1911s is that they are handsome pieces when even a minimal effort of attention is given by the manufacturer to cosmetic appearance.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:59:25 AM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like a good rationale in terms of functionality. In general, however, I don't think it's reasonable, just on general principles,  to have to hand-finish anything other than a bargain basement piece into cosmetic acceptability . Unless the piece is stainless, a refinish would be required to cover up the areas that had been reworked.
I don't own any high-end guns, and have a mix of older and current manufacture and as noted, all of them have less than 0.030 mismatch. Half of the reason (at least for me) in owning 1911s is that they are handsome pieces when even a minimal effort of attention is given by the manufacturer to cosmetic appearance.

If you install and fit a new barrel correctly there are times where after cutting the lower lugs so that the thumb safety fits into the slide  with minimal clearance, you will need to profile the rear of the slide unless you don't care what it looks like.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:28:32 AM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you install and fit a new barrel correctly there are times where after cutting the lower lugs so that the thumb safety fits into the slide  with minimal clearance, you will need to profile the rear of the slide unless you don't care what it looks like.

Good point.  My comments were intended for stock NIB pistols, and I should have so stated.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:57:10 AM EDT
That's a good question by the OP because I was about to ask the same question. My dad purchased a SA Loaded Champion and the slide overhangs in the back. His safety is harder to manipulate and his trigger pull is 3 x's as stiff as my SA LW Champion Operator. I told him to call springfield and see what they said but I don't think he has called them yet so we'll see.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:15:28 AM EDT
Top Top