Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/28/2005 2:14:51 PM EDT
I have been carrying concealed for two years now.

I feel like I am fairly observant, yet I have only detected a handful of people I could say with certainty were carrying. Sure I have seen a bunch that were "probably" carrying but that doesn't count does it?

The reason I bring this up is that it makes me more confident that 99% won't notice, and that 99% of those that do, won't suspect. The remainder will probably not care or be carrying themselves.

Unless you actually see something you haven't seen anything at all.

If I am ever "made" it might be a little "socially akward"Seydou
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 2:15:53 PM EDT
10 or so
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:22:03 PM EDT
I've been carrying concealed for well over 10 yrs now. I've only 'made' one guy, and that was because his shirt had gotten stuck between the grip of his pistol and his body. I discreetly told him that his ccw was in the open. He thanked me and that was it. I've seen about a thousand 'maybes'....mostly due to inappropriate clothing for the weather.....after all, who wears a jacket in Phoenix during the summer?

Very few sheeple will think twice about a bulge on the hip. I honestly don't think I've ever been made (and I carry all day, every day)....but if I was, nobody has ever said anything about it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:31:02 PM EDT
i have never "made" anyone but i have seen many of people i think are carrying

im pretty sure i have never been "made" but i really dont know
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 8:41:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/28/2005 8:43:28 PM EDT by cactusman]
I don't think that I have ever been made, unless you count going into a gun shop wearing an oversize Hawaiian t-shirt. That, fanny packs, and of course a photographer vest will instantly yell, "I have a CCW!" in a gun shop, but really only in a gun shop. Needless to say I don't sweat it, and I'm sure most others don't either. We may be able to spot each other and so may LEOs, but since it's legal it doesn't matter, here anyway.

I have seen quite a few possibilities, but only visibly saw a guy's holster peek out from under his jacket one spring day over in downtown Prescott and another have his shirt blow open in front of a Frys grocery store. So while I have seen quite a few belt/pants frequent “adjusters”, bulges here and there, and clothing that looked like it could easily be hiding something that’s about it. All of the other ones I’ve spotted were open carrying or the “might be carrying.”

Of course I’m always looking; I’ve found it helps to maintain my situational awareness skills. After all, the more you observe people the more you see, and the more likely you will be able to spot trouble before it reaches you.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 9:08:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/28/2005 9:10:46 PM EDT by wildearp]
Saw a dude in Sears with his sock gun hanging out. San Diego.

Saw a cop on a plane with his holster hanging out from under his jacket.

Saw a guy eating with cops in a restaurant and his shirt was untucked revealing his ccw. He quickly re-tucked. I think he was a prosecutor.

Some fanny packs telegraph you have a gun. Quite obvious with the speed zipper tab hanging out.

A lot of idiots around here wear photographers vests. Some obviously print with those on. If you have a vest and no camera, you are packing. Might as well tattoo GUN on your forehead.

I bought an obvious gun bag and wore it for almost a year in a non-CCW state (w/no gun). I was never confronted, and couldn't even get a glance from cops. They probably thought I was a cop.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 9:19:45 PM EDT
I've seen a few guys that really didn't seem to give a shit whether it was concealed or not. Just obviously didn't care that much about keeping it a secret, as long as they made a nominal effort to have a jacket or vest over the gun. If a little bit of holster or muzzle from a slide holster pokes out, shit happens, as far as they care.

I happent to be obsessive about concealment. I went out of my way to get a small auto (a Taurus PT111 Millienium Pro 9mm DAO) specifically for the purpose of concealed carry. Now that I've been introduced to the wondrous world of IWB carry, I may swith to a Glock 36 or something of that nature in the future, but the Taurus as a good, cheap, simple carry pistol, and mine has not hiccupped at all in the first 500 rounds or so. Still new, of course, and I don't know how long it'll hold up, but for now, it works and it's concealable which is why I have it.

Honestly, I think concealed carry is a great thing, even compared to open carry. If you do it right, no one will ever know the difference, until of course you draw and fire in SD. Then it'll be a surprise!
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:02:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/29/2005 9:03:11 AM EDT by shotgun]
The only guy I made had a fanny pack. At work. He was layed off a few weeks later. Sheeple.

I don't make it a habbit of checking out guys otherwise I would probably have noticed more.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:26:33 PM EDT
I noticed once, a guy came right out and said that his jacket would have to be big enough to conceal the G17 w/tac light in his shoulder holser. He was wearing the typical Hawaiian shirt routine. I was fitting him for a rental tux. We talked about guns and such for about a half hour, much to the horror of a couple of other customers.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:19:28 PM EDT
I have noticed 3 lately:

1st was with a glock on a belt holster when he got his wallet on the same side.
2nd was a nickel S&W revolver when the cover shirt got hung up on the rubber grips. Rubber grips are not the best for carry purposes.
3rd was a sholder holster and too open jacket with some kind or plastic gun like an XD.

This is why I like pocket holster guns.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:17:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2005 9:17:56 AM EDT by Face_N_The_Crowd]
Actually 'made' :

2 DEA agents

Those that I was pretty sure, I dunno - like a dozen civis - the indicators:

fanny packs
photog vests
firearms logo hats / jackets / shirts (often in conjuction with the first two)
tight fitting shits that leave odd buldges
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:10:00 AM EDT
I was in the books a million in Covington Louisiana 3 months or so ago near the magazine rack. A guy walked up and picked up a shooting mag from the bottom shelf. When he did, I could see the butt of a pistol printing against his shirt. It's the only time I've ever spotted someone carrying. I was carrying a GLOCK 19 in my waistband at the time and I remember thinking "I wonder how many times a day I pass someone carrying and never know it?" I hope it's a lot.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:48:20 PM EDT
I have seen a few. Mostly when carrying OWB and their clothing is just long enough to cover the weapon, but it easily comes up during daily activities; and when the weapon makes a print on a t-shirt.

My favorite two, however, were two LEOs in a Memorial Day ceremony where Tom Brokaw was guest speaker. The short white guy was packing in a shoulder holster that stuck so far back, it made him look like he had a hunch. The other one was a tall black guy (had to be over 6'7"), who was wearing the exact same looking suit, tie, shoes, and shades; and was standing about ten meters from his buddy. Needless to say, they stuck out like pr!cks in a weeding, as the British say.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:37:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Face_N_The_Crowd:
firearms logo hats / jackets / shirts (often in conjuction with the first two)

I made a guy at an Irish Music Festival who was wearing a S&W shooting vest, could you be any more obvious?. He got up to say goodbye to some people and his vest and t-shirt rose up a little and I spotted the grip of a small auto in his waistband.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:16:24 PM EDT
Only once, guy with a fanny pack who kept repositioning it on his strong side.

Personally I don't worry about it. A bulge on the hip these days means cell-phone to 99.9% of people. I wear clothes that fit and dress for the weather (which usually means shorts and a t-shirt)
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:55:11 PM EDT
I "made" an cop in plainclothes when I was living in NY (LI no carry of any kind). He had on one of those jackets with the concealed "police" (or whatever) logo under the velcro flap on the back. I was behind him in line at 7-11 and saw the muzzle of a 1911 poking out of one of those slide holsters.
Kinda freaked me out a little before I realized he was an cop.
I also saw a guy that mustve been a bondsmen or something open carrying in waldbaums once.
Looked like a real jerk, like he got a kick out of people being scared of him cause of the piece; which was in a cheapie nylon holster with zero retention.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:56:34 PM EDT
I never paid any attention to it
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:23:58 PM EDT
Occasionally.

I then mostly decide on whether good guy/bad guy, and monitor location while in the vicinity. No problem.

Oregon is a "shall issue" state.

I probably profile too much; I think punks usually look like punks. Probably not true enough to count on.

Rick

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:55:42 PM EDT
Some of my coworkers have no clue how to effectively carry concealed.

Funny story, though, I have one buddy (former Marine) who literally pats me down every time he sees me cause he knows I'm carrying he just can't see what or where. He'll say what ya carrying today? Me: Hmm? I don't carry weapons, man. Him: Right... then pats down. Usually he'll find it. I fooled him a few times though.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:50:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Fillmore_Slim:
I was in the books a million in Covington Louisiana 3 months or so ago near the magazine rack. A guy walked up and picked up a shooting mag from the bottom shelf. When he did, I could see the butt of a pistol printing against his shirt. It's the only time I've ever spotted someone carrying. I was carrying a GLOCK 19 in my waistband at the time and I remember thinking "I wonder how many times a day I pass someone carrying and never know it?" I hope it's a lot.

That's what I worry about when I carry. I'm a tall, skinny guy, and I carry a fullsize USP45 in an IWB holster. If I bend over, the grip juts out. Standing normally though, you can't really tell. I do have a small "bump" in my shirt, depending on the size of shirt, but like so many people have said here, most people just think cell phone. I haven't had anyone notice me that I know of.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:28:28 PM EDT
I had this buddy who was a prison guard, he ALWAYS wore a fanny pack in front. So I figured he had a weapon in it (and it never bothered me), so one day we were talking about weapons and what his wife had and such, so I smuggly said "I bet yours is right in there, right", he swore it wasn't, I kept pestering him jokingly "come on man, it's OK, your among friends", so he went to a display case and emptied the contents out, note pads, pens, 3" thick wallet, several large key rings and his corrections officer badge, NO GUNHad
I was at a farm store last week talking to another NRA member (he struck up the conversation because he saw my NRA hat, asked if I was a life member, said he was) then I saw a guy walk by with an employ, he was carrying his fag bag in his hand, my first thought was "GUN", then I realized the guy was a real fag, so likly no gun. That's why they're called "fag bags".
Top Top