Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 7:40:50 AM EDT
 I bought a P229 LNIB yesterday for $330 OTD.  There are no scratchs or wear on the finish (flat black) and looks like it has only had a couple boxs through it.  Last night I went to show the night sights to my wife and found that the front  sight wasnt glowing.  Sig factory inserts glow for around 10 yrs +/- (my Dads did anyway) so I was wondering how long Sig has made the 229.  I noticed what looked like a date stamp on one of the mags that looks like a clock face w/ an arrow. The arrow is pointing at the 7, there is a 9 on the left of the arrow ,and a 6 on the right.  I assume this means July 96'?  This pistol doesnt even look half that old.  I have a Colt 1991A1 Compact that I bought in 97' and it looks like it is an antique if you compare the finishs of the two.  Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:51:05 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
 I bought a P229 LNIB yesterday for $330 OTD....

Where in the world did you get a 229 for $330 out the door?  Man, wish I had that kind of luck.  If you check on the dustcover you should see a 2-letter code and some proof marks.  Post that code and we'll tell you when it was made.  If there are no letters, like my 220, you can call Sig customer service, give them the serial and they'll tell you when it was made.  MJD
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:08:10 AM EDT
[#2]
 Thanks.  My father-in-law owns a tractor store, and a customer traded it in on a weed eater.  The weed eater only cost him $330 (dealer cost), so I gave him the money for it.  I'll pull it out of the safe and post a little later.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:40:48 PM EDT
[#3]
You will have to call Sig with the serial #, date codes only appear on all german guns.  The P229 has been around since '93 or'94 I believe.  Came out before the AWB.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#4]
 Ok, I looked at my mags and noticed that they both were stamped RESTRICTED LAW ENFORCEMENT/ GOV'T USE ONLY.  I guess that means that this pistol was sold to a police officer originally?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You will have to call Sig with the serial #, date codes only appear on all german guns.  The P229 has been around since '93 or'94 I believe.  Came out before the AWB.

I thought it was more like 1990?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:55:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought it was more like 1990?

yep, my book says January 1990 at the SHOT show
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#7]
 Thanks for all the help.  This is my first Sig, and I am the dog house for buying it.  Oh well, it was worth it for the price.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Any changes to the P229 design since 1990?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow, you got that cheap!  

Enjoy it.  Look forward to those pics.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top