Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2006 10:38:29 AM EDT
I keep reading more and more about MIM and everything I read gets me a little more skittish. I bought a Classic Stainless Series I in summer 2000. Does it have MIM parts? I have probably 7500 rounds through the gun (flawless rounds I might add) and no hiccups with any parts breaking yet. So how long has Kimber been using MIM?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I handled these pistols when they first came out, around the 1997 NRA show in Seattle.  Also have some early brochures, or at least one as far back as 1998.

I also have a Kimber from that period.

According to the literature, and a (April 1996?) article in American Rifleman, Kimber has used MIM small parts from the get-go.

Like you, I have had no failures with the Chip McCormick designed MIM parts.

Pat Rogers, a trainer closely associated with a number of high speed Marine Corps units, states that the ICQB (Kimber Warrior-like) pistols sold to the USMC in very small quantities all have the same MIM parts as the commercial pistols, and that the Marines have had no problems with them.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:18:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Kimber has always used MIM.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:19:56 PM EDT
[#4]
7000 rounds and counting!  Dennis at Kimber has always taken good care of me as long as I send them the broken parts back.

No big deal for a range only gun.  Its still accurate and fun to shoot.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had my Kimber since 1997 and never have had a part fail.  I did have to have the plastic mainspring housing replaced because I had it refinished, but that was it.  I think people make too big of a deal about the MIM parts.  You have had this pistol this long with no problems, so why worry about it now?  I would be hesitant to switch parts out because you know these parts are tough and will last.  How do you know a new part won't have a manufactering flaw in it?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
7000 rounds and counting!  Dennis at Kimber has always taken good care of me as long as I send them the broken parts back.

No big deal for a range only gun.  Its still accurate and fun to shoot.

img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-12/542530/BrokeKimber.jpg
img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-12/542530/BrokeSafety.jpg

So how many MIM parts have you have that broke?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#7]
So far the barrel bushing, slide stop, mag. catch, thumb safety twice and the beavertail is cracked right now.  The parts drop in and Kimber always bends over backwards to get them out.  I still enjoy the gun for plate matches and target shooting.  Dont carry it anymore though.  I shoot mostly PMC and magtech ball, no reloads except for Black Hills.  I believe that my Kimber is an exception rather than the norm.  I just got a bad batch of MIM.

My TLE II has never had a part fail and it is over 5000 rounds.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#8]
my mag release broke and fell out.the mag dropped and i was out of bitness!lucky for me it was recreational not for my life..ill replace with forged part yes siree.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
my mag release broke and fell out.the mag dropped and i was out of bitness!lucky for me it was recreational not for my life..ill replace with forged part yes siree.

Did it look like this?

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#10]
There are many (relatively speaking) who have posted regarding their parts breakage, and with pictures no less.  One thing I have not noticed on this site nor any others is a large number of people posting about their Springfields with broken MIM parts.   I've personally seen two SA hammers break and one firing pin stop, but that was all 7 or 8 years ago.  It seems SA does not have the same problems.

One has to wonder who makes those MIM parts for Kimber, and why Kimber has not sought out better alternatives.  If one guy gets a seemingly premature parts breakage that he feels is MIM related, he'll tell ten people, and if it hits the internet, it reaches that many more.  I don't know if they get their MIM parts from another source, or if they make it in house, but you would think the cost cutting is not worth the bad press.  Kimbers are not all that cheap to begin with, so what's another $50 to have a gun with no MIM parts.

I'm babbling here.  However, with my own Kimbers, all high stressed parts get replaced automatically, and it's unfortunate to see things like bushings, mag releases, and single sided thumb safeties breaking in this manner.  I'm not bashing Kimber, or saying Colt or SA are better.  However, you just don't see these things very often, if at all, on Colts and Springers.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:34:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Hi to all;
Could some one tell me what is meant by MIM parts that Kimber uses on thier 1911s.
Thanks doubletap1
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:00:21 AM EDT
[#12]
MIM = metal injection molded

It is a manufacturing process used to make these parts. I'm sure a google MIM or metal injection molding will provide the info you are looking for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top