Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2004 5:09:36 PM EDT
How many years will a typical tritium-powered night sight continue to be darkness-usable?

Are some brands better than others?

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Trijicon night sights are guarrantied for 12 years, so at leat 12 years.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Tritium has a half life of 12 years.  So however bright they are when you look at them now, they'll be half as bright in twelve years.  And however bright they are then, they'll be half as bright twelve years after that.  etc.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:03:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Good info.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:43:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Good info.  Thanks.

Unless you're a dumbass like me and put on a ported bbl .45.
Then you'll break the gas filled tube and it will be dead in 3 yrs.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:46:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I've only been able to get about 10yrs of useful brightness from Trijicons.  They get so dim you can barely see them in total darkness.  Actually my wifes G26 needs a new set now but since she rarely carrys that gun preferring the G19 I'm in no hurry to replace them.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Realistically about 8-10 years with enough brightness that you can pick them out quickly in dim lit situations...a bit longer in pitch dark. Get her new sights..she may really need 'em one night!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Realistically about 8-10 years with enough brightness that you can pick them out quickly in dim lit situations...a bit longer in pitch dark. Get her new sights..she may really need 'em one night!

I will eventually for now she'll use either her G19, SIG 239, SIG 2340, Kahr MK9, or Kahr PM9 for carry guns all of which have Trijicons or Meprolights.  None of her Berettas have night sights yet, the first will be her 92FS Compact L type M.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top