Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/1/2012 4:53:04 PM EDT
Recently, I've taken up bicycling for fitness. Its been fairly chilly so its no problem carrying my Glock 26 in a strong side hip holster under a sweatshirt or windbreaker. I won't wear spandex, sorry.....

How do you carry when the weather gets hot? I figure in the summer, I'll just wear an Underarmor type loose t-shirt but the G26 will probably print badly. Thought about open carry (legal here) but not my first choice.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 5:03:42 PM EDT
Openly on my right hip- cargo shorts over my bike shorts. I usually go with the gun that has the most protective holster.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 5:12:43 PM EDT
I can't answer your question, but let me just remind you to wear a helmet and don't ever take a risk. My father was almost killed when he hit a puppy that got away from its owner while road biking. The puppy died, and he had a sever concussion and bone bruising despite wearing a helmet.

This fall I have 2 friends that have been in bike wrecks. One had a pedestrian just walk right in front of her while she was in the bike lane. She broke her collar bone and got bad road rash on her face. The other guy I know got hit by a bus and had internal bleeding + a concussion. He was wearing a helmet luckily.

So just remember that you don't have to do anything wrong to get in an accident, just like in your car. The difference is the car will always win, and you will get fucked up.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 6:48:45 PM EDT
I stow my piece in an on-bike cargo bag. Not the quickest to deploy but it beats sweating all over it. That and athletic shorts don't have belt loops.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 6:58:17 PM EDT
I have a camelbak that I throw it in a holster and then throw it in my pack. May not be the "fastest draw" but I at least have it and can get to it if needed!
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 7:05:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/1/2012 7:06:23 PM EDT by jdhtejas]
I have to admit, I cycle and do wear spandex. There are 3 pockets in the back of the jersey's I wear so I can pocket carry, utilizing a pocket holster for safety. I put it in a ziplock when the weather is warmer to prevent sweat from getting to it. I hardly notice it and with the pocket holster it doesn't print despite some tighter fitting clothing.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 7:02:46 AM EDT
Fanny pack, that also contains wallet, cell phone, etc. Bike shorts don't have much for pockets.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 10:43:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/2/2012 10:44:59 AM EDT by Mainsail]
I will add to my previous post to mention that the one time I needed to draw, on an attacking dog, I needed it much faster than zippers or flaps would allow. I was riding through a small park in Tacoma when a big Collie jumped up and began chasing me, viciously snarling and barking. It approached on my right so I jinked left, then it ran around my left side and bit my leg at my knee, drawing blood. I locked up the brakes, kicked out of the pedals, and in one motion unsnapped the thumb-snap and drew my P239. The dog's momentum carried it out in front of the bike, so with both feet planted i lined up the sights and was just about to tighten my trigger finger when the dog suddenly trotted off. It was a split second from being dead.

The next day I was out riding along the waterfront (open carry again) and spotted an Animal Control Officer. I told her what had happened and showed her the bite wound. She told me it would have been a good shoot.

In hindsight I think the Collie, being a herding breed, decided to do what its instincts told it to do, and in the process it nipped my leg. At the time however, it was every bit the vicious attack we all dread. I have since gotten a handlebar mount for a can of pepper spray. Good shoot or not, all the kids in the park would grow up remembering was that some guy on a bike shot a sweet Collie dog.

I continue to open carry on the bike though because of what the incident taught me. Being clipped in to the pedals and trying to unclip, stop, and draw is a tough sequence in real time. If it was a pit bull or Shepperd, i know I couldn't draw quickly out of anything with a flap or zipper. When you're riding and a dog attacks, it happens very fast.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 3:32:40 PM EDT
My road riding has been limited and I've been trying to stay off the road during peak traffic times. Frankly, riding on the road scares the heck out of me.

I've been riding trails and parks mostly so vehicles aren't too much concern. We have some "Rails to Trails" projects where they've been turning old rail lines into bike/hike trails. Some of them are County/Municipal owned and may not like/allow open carry there. I've got to look into it.

I'm thinking the cargo bag or camelback pouch may be the way to go.

Thanks for all the good responses.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 6:41:59 PM EDT
I carry in a galco belly band. Don't wear it up on your belly. Wear it so the top is even with the top of your shorts. I wear it when biking and jogging. Works great for me. YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 11:08:11 PM EDT
LCP in a Desantis Nemisis in the right jersey pocket
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 8:29:45 AM EDT
So far, sweatshirt pocket when I do. I ride on a very low traffic bike path back in the woods. No dogs, but I have ridden up on bears twice this past summer. I hate traffic so I stay off of roads. Bike is going on to the indoor training rack device for the snow season now, come spring I think a fanny pack setup.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 8:49:39 AM EDT
One of those fancier belly bands for me.

I've been attacked by dogs multiple times (before carrying). Got away unbitten every time except for once. Collie managed to get me once. I've found that most dogs are OK, most just like to run along and bark. The problem ones tend to be any of the really small breeds as they like to jump and bite at you (found out before I figured out it's easier to just outrun them), and for whatever reason, collies (larger, classic "vicious dog" pitbulls/rots/german shepherds don't seem to care much about cyclists). Collies on the other hand are truly vicious animals and fast enough to get you if you're not careful!
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 8:43:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/6/2012 8:31:02 AM EDT by tschlemm]
Originally Posted By GLC1:
Recently, I've taken up bicycling for fitness. Its been fairly chilly so its no problem carrying my Glock 26 in a strong side hip holster under a sweatshirt or windbreaker. I won't wear spandex, sorry.....

How do you carry when the weather gets hot? I figure in the summer, I'll just wear an Underarmor type loose t-shirt but the G26 will probably print badly. Thought about open carry (legal here) but not my first choice.

Any thoughts?

I carry a XD 40 SC when I ride my bike. I use a pistol wear holster:

Pistol Wear Holster

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 5:02:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By jokermann77:
I have a camelbak that I throw it in a holster and then throw it in my pack. May not be the "fastest draw" but I at least have it and can get to it if needed!

This...
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:26:36 PM EDT
S&W 642 in front pocket
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 7:13:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By el_hombre:

Me too. It's better than throwing a water bottle at somebody.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:43:06 PM EDT
The same way I carry everywhere else. I use a High Noon Bare Asset holster. It has the best clip ever. It holds my 1911 just where it needs to be.

I use a Gould & Goodrich magazine holder because it has a nice clip too. I ride pretty often and have never had any isues whatsoever.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:59:41 AM EDT
Originally Posted By jokermann77:

Yup, I MTB and store a compact in my Dakine Session, nice snug fit with a kydex holster.
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 4:04:14 PM EDT
Sometimes IWB, but usually a fanny pack.

Carrying at 4 Oclock IWB just seems to stick out too much while leaning forward to ride.

The fanny pack makes it very comfortable with no chance of printing.
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 12:29:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Mainsail:
I will add to my previous post to mention that the one time I needed to draw, on an attacking dog, I needed it much faster than zippers or flaps would allow. I was riding through a small park in Tacoma when a big Collie jumped up and began chasing me, viciously snarling and barking. It approached on my right so I jinked left, then it ran around my left side and bit my leg at my knee, drawing blood. I locked up the brakes, kicked out of the pedals, and in one motion unsnapped the thumb-snap and drew my P239. The dog's momentum carried it out in front of the bike, so with both feet planted i lined up the sights and was just about to tighten my trigger finger when the dog suddenly trotted off. It was a split second from being dead.

The next day I was out riding along the waterfront (open carry again) and spotted an Animal Control Officer. I told her what had happened and showed her the bite wound. She told me it would have been a good shoot.

In hindsight I think the Collie, being a herding breed, decided to do what its instincts told it to do, and in the process it nipped my leg. At the time however, it was every bit the vicious attack we all dread. I have since gotten a handlebar mount for a can of pepper spray. Good shoot or not, all the kids in the park would grow up remembering was that some guy on a bike shot a sweet Collie dog.

I continue to open carry on the bike though because of what the incident taught me. Being clipped in to the pedals and trying to unclip, stop, and draw is a tough sequence in real time. If it was a pit bull or Shepperd, i know I couldn't draw quickly out of anything with a flap or zipper. When you're riding and a dog attacks, it happens very fast.
Nope.....you would had killed Lassie

Link Posted: 11/29/2012 7:36:52 AM EDT
Don't bike myself, but I know people who have good success with fanny packs. Pretty sure they are packs designed by biking companies that they utilize... not one made my 5.11 or somebody.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 10:42:36 AM EDT
I wear my regular carry rig. I don't have any problems. But I also don't ride in traffic. Just around my complex 20 or so times & I also don't care about printing, & I don't wear any specialized gear just a t shirt & jean shorts.
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 3:21:20 PM EDT
Fanny pack here also.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 6:30:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By el_hombre:

Same here. Fits perfect and people already expect to see crap sticking out of those pockets, so if it does print, no one notices.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 9:46:15 AM EDT
I open carry in a Serpa, only way I can do it comfortably. I prolly will have a smaller gun here for warmer weather sooo that might change.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 1:15:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By pokey074:
I stow my piece in an on-bike cargo bag. Not the quickest to deploy but it beats sweating all over it. That and athletic shorts don't have belt loops.

This.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:54:38 PM EDT
Desantis Nemesis with khar pm380 in right jersey pocket. Bought specifically for summer ccw on long road rides. It's like carrying a couple power bars in jersey.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:08:29 PM EDT
AK-47 underfolder in a backpack. But I live in Michigan, we have strange laws. Realisticly probably a hip pack of some sort.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Top Top