Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2005 11:39:36 AM EDT
I carry either a Glock 26 or a Glock 23 in a Galco OWB holster, covered by an untucked hawaiian shirt.  The holster goes "reek rikk reek rikk" when I walk.

I don't care about it, but it says to everyone around, "There's something under that shirt".

What can I do to eliminate the noise?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
... What can I do to eliminate the noise?

In time wearing the rig will break it in and eventually eliminate the creaking. For the mean time a light coating of baby powder at the contact points will go a long way to silence any unwanted squeaking and creaking.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#2]
How long is "in time"?  I've worn this holster nearly every day for most of a year.

But I'll try the baby powder trick - thanks.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:59:24 PM EDT
[#3]
suppose you could also take a candle and rub a little candle wax on the points that are rubbing and squeaking...
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#4]
or use mink oil or other leather treatment to soften the leather. It will discolor most leather , so if ya got tan be ready .
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
or use mink oil or other leather treatment to soften the leather. It will discolor most leather , so if ya got tan be ready .

DO NOT USE MINK OIL.

Mink oil can and will soften a holster to the point that it loses its shape and/or boning not to mention it's retention abilities.

For up keep or to buff out blemishes, holsters should be treated with a natural shoe polish, such as Kiwi, or a product specifically made for holsters such as Hyde-Glide or Leather Lightning.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:57:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Who made the holster??
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:28:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:41:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Baby powder is a good short term solution.  To really get it to fit you will need a dummy gun, or wrap yours in saran wrap.  Then soak the holster in hot water till the bubbles stop comming out of the leather.  Place the dummy gun into the holster and wear it till the holster is dry, usually about 2 days.

Holster will be broken in properly, and no more squeaks.  Just before it gets totally dry, saddle soap it well and apply 100% neatsfoot oil.  Put gun back in and wear another day.

The leather is  vegetable tanned skirting leather (sometimes called molding leather). Properly done, this will not ruin even the finest leather.  I have done this many times with everything from combat boots to $2000 saddles.   Don't do this with chrome tanned leather.  Chrome tanned leather is not used on holsters, it would rust your gun in nothing flat.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:18:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Who made the holster??

Galco. See first post.

Leather on leather is going to squeak some. Remember though, it doesnt say NEAR as much to everyone else, as you think.

It just says that you are either carrying or you wear leather undies!

What you said is true. But, it may arouse suspicions among people you see often but, don't want to know your secret... Then again, they might just be so used to the noise they practically block it out or just don't care.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:24:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:39:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Most people are so frigging oblivious to the fact that people carry guns they'd probably just think your shoes squeak...even if you were on grass.

Very true.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:49:40 AM EDT
[#12]
If anyone asks/gives you a weird look, just tell them it is your chastity belt. Or, that you have a few metal joints that sometimes need lubing.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Lightly scuff the contact points on the holster with a fingernail file. It won't be as pretty, but it is a permanent fix. It worked for me before I discovered kydex.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top