Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2006 4:53:28 PM EST
Are they functional? Fairly attractive?

The lack of checerking on the grip causes the pistol to slip a bit in my hand
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 12:55:42 AM EST
They work as well as any Pachmayr grip.

I didn't like them because it just made the grip too fat. The rubber goes all around the frame, and it just kinda ruined the way the BHP felt in my hands.

I cut off some of the rubber, namely the backstrap portion, and the bumps for the tumbs and it feels much better.

I'm still not 100% satisfied, but that's what came on the gun, and I just haven't remembered to get some new grips. I'm probably just going back to the plastic mil-surp ones, or a set of inexpensive wood ones.

My BHP is a surplus Argy with the mag safety removed and a nice trigger. I also had a local smith install some better sights than the small mil-surp ones it had. It shoots great, but it came with the Pachmayrs and I just don't like them.

I like Pachmayrs on the 1911 fine. I just don't like them on the BHP. I think it's just a personal taste thing. I'd try them first if possible to see if you really like them.
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 5:29:20 PM EST
I really don't like the Pachmyers one bit, either.

The stock BHP grip shape is an absolutely PERFECT fit for my hand and the pachmyers just ruin that feel completely.

Too fat, even with the backstrap rubber removed plus the area under the trigger where the rubber meets the metal gives my middle finger a blister right at the knuckle. (Can you tell I don't like 'em?)

I just bought some of the custom wood grips from Hakan Pek and I'm looking forward to seeing how they feel. They look quite nice and have stippling and a slight palm bulge so I believe they'll improve the feel tremendously.

Link Posted: 10/17/2006 5:40:56 PM EST
Huh. I like the Pachmayr 1911 grips, but it sounds like the HP ones are no good. Let me know what you think of the Hakan grips. I'm looking for a good solution that doesn't involve custom work. I like the HP, but it's just a $400 gun and I really would like to keep it that way.
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 6:03:13 PM EST
Ive got them on my BHP, and I like them. They fit my hand really well
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 6:17:29 PM EST
These grips are nice:
www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/162443
Checkered rubber, slim, not vewry expensive, but apparently discontinued. They are on the hi-power pictured below on the left.

The hi-power pictured below in the middle has Navidrex Micarta grips: www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=9563&title=BROWNING+HP+COMBAT+GRIPS

Link Posted: 10/24/2006 9:40:30 PM EST
I've had a set on my Hi-Power for over 25 years and I honestly doubt I could hit anything without them. Same set too. They have held up well. It's been my experience that folks either REALLY like them or they don't. Not much grey area. Not only do I find them extremely comfortable but they really lock the weapon into your hand.
Fiream
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/fiream29/Temp/100_1797.jpg
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 1:44:45 AM EST
Like so many others I always loved that distinctive BHP grip feel with the factory grips. During a shooting class, however, the instructor pointed out that I might try a larger gun because of my hand size. Rather than get a "larger gun" (!) I bought some of the Pachmayrs and I think they might result in a better hold on the gun. I can see his point, but still miss that BHP feel.

I think this is just one of those experiments you will have to try for your self.

Link Posted: 10/25/2006 6:42:27 PM EST
I hope this isn't a hijack but; anyone have a Simonich Knives Gunner grip for thier BHP? If so how do you like it?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:12:08 AM EST
I had the Pachmayers on mine until I shot an HP with Houge grips on it. The Pachmayers have been in a misc box ever since. The Houges are noticeably slimmer & the pebble grain texture provides a good grip.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:06:54 AM EST
I've had the Pachy's on my BHP for about 15 years. They came standard from the factory on my " Practical" model. I have never had any of the above mentioned issues with mine, and I like them. Liked the 1911 version too.
Top Top