Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2005 9:40:29 PM EDT
I am thinking using my Glock 34 with Winchester Ranger 127gr +p+ in a 17rd mag.  Would this give any better or worse performance than a Glock 22 with Winchester Ranger 165gr. in a 15rd mag ?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Either will get the job done if you do your part.  Whether the 9mm is as good as the .40 is an ongoing arguement.  In my opinion the .40 is a more powerful round than the 9mm if all other things are equal.  But you have to take into consideration things like the speed of follow up shots.  Some of this is up to you.  Use the one that you shoot the best.  My home defense gun is a G22 with 165 grain Speer Gold Dots and my CCW gun is a G26 with Speer 124 gr Gold Dots.  In the smaller pistol 9mm is considerably easier to control and get fast follow up shots, the differnce isn't as large in the full sized pistol.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:47:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Either will get the job done if you do your part.

+1
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:17:02 AM EDT
[#3]
double post
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#4]
This is the age old debate of 9mm vs. .45 or what have you. Handguns work on a different principal than most rifles.  That is more to do with bullet weight and expansion than with velosity and yaw.  My advise is to carry/use the largest/heaviest bullet you can EFFECTIVELY handle.  9 is great for follow up, but 45 is better for mass ect.  

Myself?  For a "house gun" or non-concealed gun I have a glock 21 (13rounds w/ 230 grain hydra shocks)  For carry, I use a glock 23- 13 rounds w/ 180 grains.

For handguns I like big bullets that make big holes.  Just MO.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I dislike .40, particularly in Glocks. Also, the 34 has a longer sight radius and 2# lighter trigger. NO brainer for me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am thinking using my Glock 34 with Winchester Ranger 127gr +p+ in a 17rd mag.  Would this give any better or worse performance than a Glock 22 with Winchester Ranger 165gr. in a 15rd mag ?

The G34 is exactly what I use for my "house" gun . . . but I have it loaded with Speer Gold Dots and have a Streamlight M3 attached to it.  

IMHO -  Very Good Decision!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#7]
My 3rd generation G 31 357 sig with 15 round glock mag and XML insight light serves as house gun.besides the attatched light the ease with which the slide can be racked is a big plus if one has to have limited stregth when first waking upive had a g22 in 40 and just didnt like it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:55:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My 3rd generation G 31 357 sig with 15 round glock mag and XML insight light serves as house gun.besides the attatched light the ease with which the slide can be racked is a big plus if one has to have limited stregth when first waking upive had a g22 in 40 and just didnt like it.

the XML fits the Glock rail?  I always wondered if it would fit and I figured it would but insight does not list it as one of the guns that it works with
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:20:38 AM EDT
[#9]
no difference in terminal effectiveness between all the major service calibers, therefore, i opt for capacity.

I use a G19 as my everything gun.  At night it gets the M3X put on and a G18 mag put in (nice to have 34 rounds at my disposal since i can't carry reloads in my boxer shorts.

Used to use 127gr +P+ rangers, switched to 147.  Better penetration, similar expansion, less noise, less kick.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:28:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I use a G-21 45acp with night sights and 13 round mag. The pistol has very little recoil and the muzzle blast is not as bad as some caliber. It is heavy enough that it steadies well in my hand thus improving accuracy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top