Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2014 9:24:00 PM EDT
What is the hottest 9mm out there?  I know there is some sub gun ammo (which I don't even know where or what that is), but pistol ammo.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 10:03:12 PM EDT
[#1]
9x25 Dillon.

Link Posted: 1/18/2014 10:25:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific.  Hottest 9x19.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 10:32:33 PM EDT
[#3]
LOL sorry, that was low hanging fruit.

I'm guessing you mean factory ammo?

I'm sure DT, Buffalo bore and et al. have some hot stuff.

If you want hot and dangerous/ accelerated wear, proof loads come up for sale from time to time.  Use at your own risk of course.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 11:06:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can get the subgun ammo from time to time.

You could always search for "9mm major" but I don't think you'll find many places that you can buy it from.
View Quote

Is that usually a hand load?  Or is there factory ammo for that?  Correct me if I am wrong, Sub gun stuff, is not to be shot out of a pistol, correct?
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 11:19:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
LOL sorry, that was low hanging fruit.

I'm guessing you mean factory ammo?

I'm sure DT, Buffalo bore and et al. have some hot stuff.

If you want hot and dangerous/ accelerated wear, proof loads come up for sale from time to time.  Use at your own risk of course.
View Quote

LOL, no harm no foul.  I don't actually need proof loads, I was more asking for wisdom on what the juicy stuff is out there, for the little guy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Hirtenberger is the hottest 9mm out there, it is sub gun ammo and will destroy a pistol. What you are looking for is +P or +P+.

A link
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
"9 major" is 9mm loaded hot enough to make major power factor in IPSC/USPSA...  I don't know of any commercial ammo available that does that.
View Quote

Now you know one.
http://youtu.be/TMiI8VcPQ3c
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 2:52:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Since nobody else has asked, I will. You aren't using this hot ammo as your defense ammo, are you? If thats what you're going for, there's no need at all. Get Gold Dot or HST and be done with it. Best stuff you can buy.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 7:46:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Also if you are planning on using old hollow point  designs they work better if on the hot side. As XMM posted if you use a modern design they are not as velocity dependent. They do still offer some +P and +P+ variants for the traditionalist that like a little more recoil. Performance does not really improve thou.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#13]
XMM and Hotpig, good question, but no.  I am more looking for ammo to shoot out of the (most likely 34) that I am about to get.  This will be for dispatching piggies, that are in really close range, as in 10 yards, under my feeders.  Shooting them with my .308 has become pointless, my AR is now not any fun, so I am looking for something new.  Don't get me wrong, I love to kill.  Just looking for an excuse for a new challenge, and to hone some more skills.

Edit:  As as side note, It seems that a little more heat, makes the 147's open a little more, even in designs like the Gold Dots.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 1:40:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Now you know one.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

"9 major" is 9mm loaded hot enough to make major power factor in IPSC/USPSA...  I don't know of any commercial ammo available that does that.

Now you know one.

+1 to the Underwood ammo

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:27:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Theres also 9mm super with the 960 conversion

http://shop.460rowland.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=74_94
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:33:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Pretty sure the latest American Rifleman magazine had an ad for a 9mm that was 57g or some really crazily light bullet with a similarly crazily high velocity.  I threw out my copy, but I recall being astonished.  Personally I follow the "heaviest for caliber" theory.  If someone has a copy of American Rifleman they may be able to verify (as I recall it was on the top right of a right page in the front 1/2 of the mag)

ETA: Here we go 50g at 2000 fps...... 444 ft-lbs

Interseting though, I had calculated a number of "normal" loads at close to that in ft-lbs...
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now you know one.
+1 to the Underwood ammo  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMiI8VcPQ3c&feature=youtu.be

I would never buy that stuff for SD
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:04:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

That's cool, neither would I, probably for different reasons, but maybe not.

But that's not the topic.

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:04:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Pretty sure the latest American Rifleman magazine had an ad for a 9mm that was 57g or some really crazily light bullet with a similarly crazily high velocity.  I threw out my copy, but I recall being astonished.  Personally I follow the "heaviest for caliber" theory.  If someone has a copy of American Rifleman they may be able to verify (as I recall it was on the top right of a right page in the front 1/2 of the mag)

ETA: Here we go 50g at 2000 fps...... 444 ft-lbs

Interseting though, I had calculated a number of "normal" loads at close to that in ft-lbs...
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad262/gusandson/2f958d31-447b-471b-935b-b9ccb26029ab_zps216c2300.jpg
View Quote

Do you have specs for the older Ranger Partition 124gr standard pressure
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Underwood.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What is the hottest 9mm out there?  I know there is some sub gun ammo (which I don't even know where or what that is), but pistol ammo.
View Quote

Depends on what you consider "hot".

The Hirtenberger L7A1 124FMJ clocked out of my G19 at 1279fps. Pretty fast for a 124gr pill. There is also the Hirtenberger 100gr JSP "FL" load marked on the headstamp "+P+" which is also a hot little number.

The IMI 9mm 115FMJ Carbine load is also a hot load. This ammo was marketed under the Samson and UZI brand names and can be found with a dark blue-black or a deep maroon colored bullet tip or stamped "CARB" on the headstamp.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:47:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Why not?  Let it fly!
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Speaking strictly for self defense, I'd use a quality 147 grain 9mm round, as you can get decent expansion, but a LOT of penetration.

"Faster is better" for SD went away in the 90's.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Speaking strictly for self defense, I'd use a quality 147 grain 9mm round, as you can get decent expansion, but a LOT of penetration.

View Quote

Horse excrement, the 9mm is very velocity dependant and 147's are the worst possible loads you can use,period.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:40:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks Madcap, that explains it.  Truth be told, I am sure that there are PLENTY of good loads, that will turn your lights out, on the market.  

One thing we always seem to forget, is number of shots.  We all look at gel, and dream of the one shot show stopper.  Dude, if I have to get up to speed on somebody, I am going to do all in my power to put a pile of holes in them.  That's just me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:17:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:44:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I've shot a lot of things with handguns over the years and am very partial to 124-127gr +P.
If I'm ever attacked by someone hiding behind a 12" thick slab of ballistic gelatin,  I'd consider 147gr ammo.
147s have only slightly more energy than a 38spl +P+ and the 124s are more comparable to an entry level 357.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 11:25:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I've shot a lot of things with handguns over the years and am very partial to 124-127gr +P.

If I'm ever attacked by someone hiding behind a 12" thick slab of ballistic gelatin,  I'd consider 147gr ammo.

147s have only slightly more energy than a 38spl +P+ and the 124s are more comparable to an entry level 357.

View Quote
And yet, decades of scientific studies performed by the top people in the field of terminal ballistics, determined that penetration is one of the most important parts of rapidly stopping a human being*.

*and penetration being equal, the bullet that can expand more yet give equal penetration, would be more desirable, but not at the expense of penetration.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 11:28:02 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Horse excrement, the 9mm is very velocity dependant and 147's are the worst possible loads you can use,period.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What are you basing that off of?

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Hey madcap, is there anybody else other than Fio. that makes a 158gr. in the 9?  That would be pretty awesome if they did.  I would think it would make a 9, a pretty heavy hiter.  Got any input on the load that Fiocchi makes?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#32]
other commercial 9 mm loads 150 gr and up:

S&B 150 gr: http://www.sellier-bellot.cz/pistol-and-revolver-detail.php?ammunition=9&product=74
Geco 154 gr: http://geco-munition.de/en/products/hand-gun-cartridges.html#!95/590/350
Prvi 158 gr: http://www.prvipartizan.com/pistol.php

then there's also double tap's 165 gr salvo load if you're into that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:33:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be interested to hear some logic or data to back up your position.  If you look at the spreadsheet I posted, you will see that ALL the highest velocity 9mm's underpenetrate.  the 147g HST has 12" of penetration AND pretty much the biggest expanded diameter.  Across the board the 147g are some of the BEST loads
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:55:19 AM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now you know one.
+1 to the Underwood ammo  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMiI8VcPQ3c&feature=youtu.be

wow
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doc roberts and all the profesaionals that know what their stuff would disagree
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good thing energy doesn't mean shit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top