Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2011 6:46:00 AM EDT
I was considering this ammo as defensive ammo for my J-Frame and SP101. I also like it because with the 158gr. weight, I should be able to firing without feeding problems in my Marlin 1894.

Does anyone have any information on how this performs as a defensive round?
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I would suggest the 158 XTP be limited to very high pressure .38 loads or .357 magnum only. I have shot a few of them and while I believe it's a very good bullet for some things, it's a really bad choice for others. You might as well shoot FMJ because performance will be the same from a snubby .38 load.

If you need a bullet for SD in a .38 SPL, the Speer GD short barrel load, the old 158gr LSWCHP +P, and one load from buffalo bore are the only three that are trustworthy from snubbies.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply. I was just hoping to avoid the heavy recoil and price of the Buffalo Bore...I guess I will suck it up and do it. I would like to avoid the Gold Dot, bacause my Marlin will only shoot 158gr. or heavier.
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 3:56:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Thanks for the reply. I was just hoping to avoid the heavy recoil and price of the Buffalo Bore...I guess I will suck it up and do it. I would like to avoid the Gold Dot, bacause my Marlin will only shoot 158gr. or heavier.

I've had no issues with the wife's Marlin, though I don't really shoot many light bullets. The wife's has ballard rifling and not the microgroove.

Link Posted: 2/16/2011 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#4]
It is a feeding issue not a stabilization issue. It will feed the lighter bullets, but you have to "feather" them into the chamber. You can't really work the action that fast with the lighter bullets. Sorry for the confusion.
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 4:24:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I wish someone would make a newer / better 158gr bullet for the j frame / snub

I have   5 S&W snubs and 3- 4inch K frames & 1 - L frame 4incher

All  fixed sight S&W revolvers shot 158gr at POA

110 125 135gr bullets  all shoot low

Link Posted: 3/6/2011 6:47:20 AM EDT
[#6]
those snubbies are going to need a specialized load if expansion is to have a chance. Something like the GoldDot 135grn.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Have J frame and a 101 also. The XTP's are extremely accurate out of the 101, but wasn't confident in their performance from the snubbie. I keep either the BB +P or standard pressure 158's in the 101, and the standard pressure 158 in the snubbie. I have short barrel Speer 135's also. The standard BB's in the J are not too bad, IMO. Sometimes Cabelas has the BB on sale, but they're still pricey though.

If you can find it, Remington's version of the FBI load, the 158 +P 158 SWCHP, is viable also. Federal and Winchester's versions are not as good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top