Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2011 1:38:30 PM EDT
I am looking at getting my first 1911 soon and wanted to get your opinions between two choices.

Ruger SR 1911 (assuming I can ever find one) and the STI Spartan.

I like that the Ruger is Made in the USA, but l live 20 minutes from STI and like to support my locals guys. Especially with the support STI provides to my local range and TX Multigun.

Thoughts, Pros, Cons...

Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 3:20:57 PM EDT
Get the Ruger.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 5:49:27 PM EDT
i hear a lot of good things about the ruger. the spartan i havent exactly heard bad things about but since its made in the phillipines to me its just not an sti. if i were to go sti i would spend the money on a real sti but thats just my preference.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 5:54:08 PM EDT
The Spartan will likely shoot more accurately out of the box, because STI is pretty adamant about doing things right when it comes to barrel fitting. There are a few corners cut that I'm not crazy about, but they're small potatoes in the grand scheme of things.

The Ruger looks better and has a more desirable sight cut, in that you have a lot more options for replacement sights should you desire them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 6:30:10 PM EDT
Thanks guys. I have been leaning toward the Ruger, but do not know much about the STI.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 6:39:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/29/2011 6:40:56 PM EDT by Billy_Dee]
I really don't have a good reason not to like the STI, besides maybe the looks just aren't for me. ( I like the STI double stack pistols though)

Between the two I would go with the Ruger, I like the way it looks, and is set up better.
And I've owned a few Ruger firearms in the past. ( 10/22 and P series pistol) They were all as good as I could ask for them to be.

Good luck, and let us know when you get one.

Edited for clarification
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 11:53:31 AM EDT
Placed an order for the SR1911 with GT in Austin today.

The wait begins. (but the price is nice, so I don'd mind too much)
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:54:41 PM EDT
I can't stomach a 1911 made overseas so I'd go for Colt, STI, S&W.Ruger in that order. Kimbers seem too hit and miss as far as qc. With the single exception of one les baer, all my 1911's are colts and am very satisfied with them
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:01:26 AM EDT
In my price range ($600) it was pretty much limited to STI and Ruger (wanted new not used, maybe I will look into a used colt for my 2nd 1911).

The STI Spartan is not 100% USA, but it is made by a company 30 min from my house. The Ruger is born in Arizona, same as me. :)

Really came down to looks between the two, and I prefer stainless.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:28:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By captain127:
I can't stomach a 1911 made overseas so I'd go for Colt, STI, S&W.Ruger in that order. Kimbers seem too hit and miss as far as qc. With the single exception of one les baer, all my 1911's are colts and am very satisfied with them

You do relize that the Spartan is made overseas. The only STI in his price range.
Top Top