Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2006 6:55:04 PM EDT
This is what I have: HK USP .45 and a Glock 35.

What am I going to use them for? Well I want a tactical thigh holster (though I still have some questions about them....later) and a concealed carry holster.

What I envision for both is a strong side behind the hip inside the pants for concealed carry, but I want to here from some who carry alot about this?

Now tactical drop leg. Are these good for mostly CQB or can they be used in the field, long hikes, runs etc...??

Now lastly, brands and styles. I mean there are so many out there, I have no idea where to begin, what is good, what is crap, etc....

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#1]
As for the Tactical holster, Safariland 6004 or the newer 6005.  They are very comfortable, and very stable.  The Tac holster that all others are judged by.  For concealment, I recommend the Milt Sparks VersaMax II hands down, the most comfortable and concealable IWB holster on the market.

Thigh rigs are great for hiking IMO, and for general range use as well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:25:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless you need the thigh rig for work, I wouldn't waste my money on one. You're better off spending the extra money on a couple of quality CCW holsters. I am 6'5", 265, and I never carry IWB, I just don't like it I guess. All my CCW holsters are OWB. I carry my USP40c in an Aker Flatsider, G22 in an old Strong Leather (don't know the model), and my Five Seven in a Sidearmor modular kydex. If you realy want a thigh rig, Gunguy1911 is correct, the SLS 6004 is probably the best you can buy, it's my duty rig, and is my personal favorite. Some of my guys wear Blackhawk rigs, but they are all switching to the SLS. You will not regret spending a little more for a better quality CCW holster.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:30:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Have you checked out Bladetech?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:48:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes I have checked out BladeTech, however I do not know anything about their company. SafariLand I have heard of. I was looking at the BH Serpa, but I have heard a lot of back and forth about them (from good to well crap), so that makes me nervous. Now the concealment ones are looking good, thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for the sparks vm-2.

You can order it from sparks (takes 12 weeks) or you can see if www.lightningarms.com or www.topgunsupply.com have any in stock.  I've bought vm-2s using all three methods.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:32:28 AM EDT
[#6]
bump for more info
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:02:26 PM EDT
[#7]
The only thing IMO that thigh rigs are good for is when wearing (external tactical) body armor.  The armor blocks access to a belt mounted pistol.  Or when you wear most of your stuff on a tactical vest and you always want your pistol on you, even when you drop your vest or armor.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:24:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The only thing IMO that thigh rigs are good for is when wearing (external tactical) body armor.  The armor blocks access to a belt mounted pistol.  Or when you wear most of your stuff on a tactical vest and you always want your pistol on you, even when you drop your vest or armor.

How about seated in a vehicle, at the range while wearing a heavy coat, etc.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:58:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless you have open carry in your state, wearing a thigh rig while driving would probably get you in major trouble. As far as the range is concerned, I wouldn't spend $100 for a place to keep my pistol while I load mags....That's what range benches are for. I'm with Unicorn on this one. If I didn't need it for work, I wouldn't own a thigh rig. IMO, it has no practical purpose if you are non-LEO or Mil. Unless of course, you want to pretend that you are LEO/MIL.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:25:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Unless you have open carry in your state, wearing a thigh rig while driving would probably get you in major trouble. As far as the range is concerned, I wouldn't spend $100 for a place to keep my pistol while I load mags....That's what range benches are for. I'm with Unicorn on this one. If I didn't need it for work, I wouldn't own a thigh rig. IMO, it has no practical purpose if you are non-LEO or Mil. Unless of course, you want to pretend that you are LEO/MIL.

Thigh rigs are useful for the outdoorsman.  I used to wear one while hunting.  Of course, that was in an open carry state.  

I guess they're useful for those who are in open carry states.  Personally I dislike open carry in an urban setting, but to each his own.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's hard to draw a pistol from a thigh holster in a car.  It's actually harder to draw from one while seated than a belt holster, especially if your arm is blocked by a seat back.  I guess it could have it's uses while wearing a heavy, upper thigh length coat/parka in an open carry state or at the range.  They bounce around too much for running unless you tighten the leg strap so much that it'll start cutting off circulation to your leg.
I wore one just about everyday and wasn't really impressed with it.  It wasn't as bad when I shortened the strap as much as possible so I could get it ride as high as I could, but if I'm not wearing some sort of load bearing gear and armor, I wouldn't use one.  I liked having my pistol not attached to my FLC in case I had to drop it for some reason.

ETA:  There is a reason that the chest harness in the military is called a tankers rig.  They are in vehicles and that is the easiest method of carry for use while in a vehicle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top