Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2011 12:55:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2011 12:51:35 PM EDT by az_larry]
This is going to be a combo ranch/desert car gun so a thigh rig would make sense. I know a 34 has stock holsters out there but that extra .70" really shines at long distance! I spent the day side by side with a 17L and a 34. It wasn't really fair because the 34 had a standard Glock front sight and the 17L had an Amerglo front site that was thinner. I likes them both but the 17L is calling to me while the 34 isn't. But either my Google Fu is weak or there just isn't any holsters for the 17L, especially thigh rigs.

Suggestions?

ETA: I wonder if this would work?
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 1:31:49 PM EDT
If you get a Black Hawk Serpa it will fit just fine. I have a Glock 19, 17L, and 26 that all fit in the same holster. The only real difference is the length of the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 1:42:56 PM EDT
I don't want the bbl sticking way out. I should have said I'm not really looking for an open bottom holster. If Safariland had a 6004 that would fit a 17L that would be great but they don't as far as I know. My dune buggy/desert car is real tight making a standard OWB holster worthless, last time I drove it with my 19 in it I got out and the 19 was on my seat, not good. So a drop leg holster is probably what I need but not having any luck finding one. The TT holster might work but I don't know if it's long enough.

I know I could make this whole thing easier by getting a 34 but I really like the crazy long bbl on the 17L and I shot it just a tad better than the 34. The cool factor frankly is much higher with the 17L and my wholesaler has a bunch at only $25 more than the 34.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 1:44:58 PM EDT
send a PM to Caira911.

He can make whatever you want for a good price.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 2:02:25 PM EDT
Thanks PM sent
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 2:16:52 PM EDT
I have a Bladetech paddle for one of my 17L's and a Comptac Minotaur for the otherwhich is leather on the body side and kydex on the other and the rig snaps around your belt. You need to forget Google and if looking for a holster go the the holster manufacturers web sites. Same holsters also work for my 24. No barrel hang out they are made for the model.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 2:27:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/17/2011 2:32:16 PM EDT by az_larry]
Blade tech makes a holster for the 17L?

ETA nothing on Bladetech site
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 9:02:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2011 9:07:10 AM EDT by AK74play]
Yep I'm wearing it right now as a matter of fact. I ordered it from their web sight. I'll go check and see if I can find it for ya..
http://www.blade-tech.com/Paddle-Holster-pr-876.html Here ya go. This is the one I am wearing right now. You have to check the drop down boxes to see the models your looking for. Great quality and a great price.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 9:27:04 AM EDT
Give some consideration to Comp-Tac, they make models for the 17L. I've worn their holsters overseas and back home and I have zero complaints.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 9:34:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 10:31:39 AM EDT
Since this is specific to my dune buggy use and I have decided the most useful holster will be a thigh rig I am going with a universal. My buddy found this one at a show yesterday for $20. It works with any light as is pretty well made.

That leather one looks nice but my EDC is a Glock 19 and I'm all set with a Raven for that.

]

And this is my special purpose vehicle that really needs to have a sidearm in a thigh rig, there is no way to carry a traditional OWB with the 3 point belt system.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 12:53:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2011 12:55:24 PM EDT by az_larry]
Took out the buggy with the thigh rig and it sucked. Totally got on the way of the shifter no matter where I put it. The only setup that makes sense is a chest rig, that will stay out of the way of 3 point harness belts and the shifter.

So one again, any suggestions? One of those rigs you see high ranking officers wear would work if he gun would fit.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:00:37 PM EDT
from another thread

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 7:40:16 PM EDT
Crye Gun Clip looks like a good option for chest rig no matter what glock you may be rocking.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 12:40:53 PM EDT
The gun clip will need a seperate harness, would be nice to find a stand alone unit, I can't be the only one who has this problem.

And is that freeking G. Gordon Liddy?
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 10:27:02 AM EDT
Anyone?
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 11:22:21 AM EDT
I can try to help. I've carried guns in just about any vehicle/situation I can think of.

In most cases, a three point sling eliminates a chest mounted pistol.

What type of chest mounting platform are you running in the buggy?
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 1:33:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/27/2011 1:34:29 PM EDT by eric10mm]
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 3:31:40 PM EDT

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 3:43:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 3:51:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/27/2011 3:52:36 PM EDT by az_larry]
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:
I can try to help. I've carried guns in just about any vehicle/situation I can think of.

It's a standard 3 point aircraft type belt system, so it has a shoulder harness and a lap belt with quick release. The lap belt is probably 3 inches wide and the 2 shoulder harnesses are about 2" wide. They meet at the lap where the quick release is. A pilot friend of mine dropped off a shoulder holster that may fit the gun. I'm going to try it tomorrow, he dropped it off after I left. The buggy is at my shop do I can try it if the gun fits, if it doesn't, I'm going to have to try to find a rig that will hold the pistol in the center of my chest between the 2 shoulder belts, or if the shoulder holster works but doesn't fit the gun it is probably easier to find a universal type shoulder holster than center rig.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 3:53:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By az_larry:
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:

It's a standard 3 point aircraft type belt system, so it has a shoulder harness and a lap belt with quick release. The lap belt is probably 3 inches wide and the 2 shoulder harnesses are about 2" wide. They meet at the lap where the quick release is. A pilot friend of mine dropped off a shoulder holster that may fit the gun. I'm going to try it tomorrow, he dropped it off after I left. The buggy is at my shop do I can try it if the gun fits, if it doesn't, I'm going to have to try to find a rig that will hold the pistol in the center of my chest between the 2 shoulder belts,

What about getting a molle vest, and attaching a molle horizontal holster to it?

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:17:36 PM EDT
Yea, I've thought about that, but it's pricey and all I need is the pistol. I have storage on the buggy for the other stuff and seems like a lot of gear just to hang a pistol on. I actually have a Tactical Tailer rig that the pistol fits in the admin pouch but the purpose of the rig is a quick way to keep 6 mags and a blow out kit that's really AR related. And it's bulky even if I reduce to 4 mags. I'm really trying to find some easy and not real expensive way to take my 17L with me and be able to get at it without unhooking myself from the harness.

It's a good idea but more complicated than what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:01:01 PM EDT
A friend loaned me a Blackhawk rig that works perfectly. It's simple, adjustable and holds the pistol in the center of my chest with a spare mag. He's a gun writer so he gets 55% off. My only complaint is that it only comes in black. So a little pray paint and it wil be GTG. If I had more coin to throw at this I'd get the TT mini MAV and theirr Universal Holster. But together that's about $85 plus shipping and the BH rig will be under $50. On the other hand, the TT rig could also take additional items so if I ever get done putting money in the rail I can save up for the MAV & holster. In the meantime I'll have a rig that holds the pistol securely and doesn't get in the way of the shoulder harness.
Top Top