Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2006 9:31:23 AM EDT
I know this is probably a stupid question but why is seperation bad?  The way I look at it is instead of one piece going thru something you would have two, which wouldnt that be better?  Thanks for bearing with me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#1]
If the jacket separates it results in the core being lighter.

Being lighter the core is not going to penetrate as deep.

Keeping the two together may be the difference between a fatal wound and an impressive surface wound that bleeds all over you while your assailant pounds you into the ground.

Or in the case of hunting, a short track or an all nighter…

And it was not a stupid question.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Exactly. Now, if you can get a bullet that goes fast enough that the jacket also penetrates 12" or more, you have a winner. But I haven't seen one; even the 9x25 115grain at 1800fps only penetrates 10" with fragmentation.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you guys for clearing that up for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top