Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2003 3:00:26 AM EDT
I'm looking to buy the best gun I'll ever own, my tool of choice for squirrel and rabbit. My father has an older Citation and it's a work of art. I was looking thru the 2003 buyers guide and saw that High Standard was still in bussines. I told my dad that I was going to get one and he said that they had changed hands a couple of times and that the quality was'nt as good in the newer models. What he heard from his friends is probly 10 yeard old. Does anyone have a new model?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:59:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Be careful...the Mitchell manufactured ones are well finished but are really not too great.
1st hand, mine would not feed...I had to move the feed ramp forward.
Then the rear sight floated around, the mags also broke.
By the time I ironed all that out, the firing pin broke too.
After ordering one, found out the Mitchell was non standard. I ended up making one.
There were legal battles over the name High Standard too.
If your research comes up dry, you may want to find an old one, perhaps at a show or online.
Avoid the cheap aftermarket magazines for them...a waste of money and time, I found.
Your dad has one of the good ones.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:37:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Anothergene for your reply. The model that I was looking at would cost me around $750 so I must re-think! The Volquartsen Cheetah is $825 in .17 hmr. Maybe I'll go that way.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#3]
My father foolishly gave me his Supermatic Trophy Military, with the 7 1/8" fluted barrel, as a college graduation present about 10 years ago.  Having shot most of the .22's currently on the market, nothing really compares to these old beauties.

The same thing goes for the new reproductions.  They look about right, but they aren't quite up to the standards of the originals, especially the triggers.  They do have one advantage, that of being offered in stainless steel.

Given a choice, I would buy a used original over one of the reproductions.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:43:52 PM EDT
[#4]
there's an east hartford supermatic ml prefix s/n here in CT at a local gunshop for $500. I've been looking to buy it myself, but if you want, the shop's # is 860-292-5096 and the owner is Gaylon O'Bryant, a real nice guy. You're best off trying to get him on mon-tues,thurs,friday as these are the only days he's open. I'm not worried about this one since I'm broke and nice hi standards pass through this shop pretty frequently. I also have a super minty HD military and a pretty nice g prefix sport king with both 4-3/4" and 7" barrels. If you call tell him I sent you.

Chris Duarte
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top