Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/15/2006 3:32:00 PM EDT
I Folks, i am new on this chat line.  Lets start out with, Does anyone own or have an opinion on
Hi-Point Pistols. (American made)
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:33:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I never heard anything good
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#2]
What bad things have you heard?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I have heard of poor workmanship, parts fit & cheap metal.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I heard that also, so i went out and ordered one. (hard to find on a shelf) i bought the 9mm comp
For $140 bucks it works very well.  I shot 300 hundreds rounds through it at the range with no
problems. At 25yrds very accurate.  I own Baretta,Ruger,CZ,Glock and S&W. The Hi-Point shoot
no different than the Glock 9mm i own.  For the money the Hi-Point is a fun gun to plink with.
Also there lifetime warranty is not so bad.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:00:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Avoid the Hi Point , There are guns on the market now at about the same cost but much better made.

First off the gun has lots of zinc, and low quality metal.

The gun uses the fire pin as the ejector, that means every case even unfired are going to be subject to the firing pin hitting the primer. Not only is that a bad idea, but it happens right after you open the breech. an open breech and accidental discharge would spell out very bad. The firing pin is subject to a much greater stress by also being the extractor, and its not a quality  part to start with.

the safety is a joke, and in a gun that remain 100% cocked? I will go as far as to say I don't feel comfortable, being around one that is cocked and locked unless I'm at the range getting ready to fire.

IMO it is the modern Saturday night special, use once toss off bridge. It is almost exactly the same as a DAVIS pistol, but with a locked breech.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't have enough life insurance to willingly shoot a Hi-Point.

There are much better options for same price or just a little more. I'm happy for you guys that have had good luck, just cause it's as accurate as your other pistols doesn't mean the quality or safety is there...........
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

There are much better options for same price or just a little more. I'm happy for you guys that have had good luck, just cause it's as accurate as your other pistols doesn't mean the quality or safety is there...........

I'm looking for a couple of guns to stash around the house in case of an emergency. I dont want to put any of my expensive guns in hiding and I thought about a couple of Hi Points for this reason. What other options are there in this price range?  Thanks
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:42:10 PM EDT
[#8]
The Hi-Point is a good gun to keep around the house for protection.  I'ved owned a few of them for years for this reason.  Don't let one opinion defer your decision, do some research.  If there is
another pistol of these cal's at this price Please let me know.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:09:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I'm looking for a couple of guns to stash around the house in case of an emergency. I dont want to put any of my expensive guns in hiding and I thought about a couple of Hi Points for this reason. What other options are there in this price range?  Thanks

Used Smith and Wesson's found Here, he's got lots of Smiths for under $300.  Also on that same site there are Beretta's, Glocks, and Sig's for great prices.  

Check out gunsamerica.com.  They've got Ruger pistols for under $300, example 1, example 2  What's your caliber of choice?  Heck while your there look up Smith's and CZ's too.  CZ makes a solid gun, (very under rated, IMHO) for a steal of a price.  Look for models like CZ75, CZ85, or CZ97.

I've shot my share of Hi-point guns.  In fact I kinda like their 9mm carbine, *BUT* their pistols leave much to be desired.  Inaccurate and they seem to jam alot.  

If I only had $140 and/or wanted guns to stash around the house, I would eat ramen for a while or save my vending machine money for a month.  I'd save up another $100 +/- and buy a used Sig, CZ, Smith or even Ruger and have a pistol I could trust my life to.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stashing guns around the house that are unsecured is pretty damn irresponsible in my opinion. If they are in fact secured then it really doesn't make much sense. Why not just carry while inside your home? The only time you would be really suprised and not have some sort of time to prepare would be while you're asleep and even then there's still some lag time.

Now to the question. As said below those are excellent options, Star model BM are relatively cheap. Rossi revolvers are cheap and I've had great luck with them. I bought a 2" .357 for just a little over 200 bucks brand new.   Bersa .380s have good reps. Rugers are still fairly cheap new and used. Police trade in Glocks. There is a reason why Hi-Point is cheap. Star Firestars are excellent pistols, still relatively cheap and are available in 9mm, .40, .45 and they had a model that was 10mm. Get a Shotgun News are start looking there are lots of pistols to be had in $150-$300 range.

One more question for you to counter your reason of "......in case of an emergency......". Why on earth would you want to use or have your family use a gun that has a horrible reputation in the consumer world and industry world for self defense?  Also, why spend a lot of money buying several pistols instead of buying 1 decent quality or even superior quality pistol? 1 well made pistol, rifle, shotgun is 100 times better than 10 pieces of shit.    If I'm not imagine things isn't Hi-Point the pistol that you need a punch and hammer to even field strip it?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:04:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The Hi-Point is a good gun to keep around the house for protection.  I'ved owned a few of them for years for this reason.  Don't let one opinion defer your decision, do some research.  If there is
another pistol of these cal's at this price Please let me know.

One opinion? I recounted four five on this one thread alone and now not counting Jollyroger's post. In his he doesn't say specifically he doesn't like Hi-Point but it sure does across that way Second post fully stated his position.   Do a search for a past thread about Hi-Points(one fairly recently and went a couple pages) and you'll see even more of the same opinions. Start one in General Discussion where theres a lot more traffic and I bet you'll see more of the same opinion about them.  There is a reason for it, same result for Jennings/Bryco.

edited
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Good post and reccomendations ManiacRat.  I was under the impression Oufree was wanting an auto pistol, but there are many good revolvers out there for a killer price.

1 well made pistol, rifle, shotgun is 100 times better than 10 pieces of shit.  This is the best damn advice in the thread.

Oh and originally I didnt come out and say it, you're right.  So officially "I do not like Hi Point pistols."
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh so you don't like Hi-Point? I wasn't sure with all the babbling.hatis you like shooting or you just like spending a lot of cash for a gun to say "i have the best because i spent a lot of money" hatOh, if you find a S&W 9mm for $140 it is either broke or HOT!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I would advise against for ANYTHING other than plinking and practice.  For, not alot more you can get something better.  I know alot of people say they can't afford alot but if look around you will.  I mean 100 for pistol is ridiculous.  Save, and for another 100 you can get something alot better.  On that note the carbine I bought several years ago has been excellent but, from everything I've heard they really are the exception.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Oh so you don't like Hi-Point? I wasn't sure with all the babbling.  What it all boils down to
is you like shooting or you just like spending a lot of cash for a gun to say "i have the best because i spent a lot of money" That in simple terms is "GUN SNOB"
Oh, if you find a S&W 9mm for $140 it is either broke or HOT!

It's not being a gun snob and I don't consider myself a gun snob. I own everything from a $60 Nagant to a $1200 Kimber. Would I trust my life to the Nagant? If I had to, probably. It is a battle proven weapon, it can be quite ornery at times but that action design fought a couple of wars including a world war.   It's not about price, it's about quality. If the Hi-Point had a sucessful/proven track record I'd buy one. It does not so I do not own one nor do I recommend anyone buying one.

No one said you can get a Smith and Wesson for $140. We did say for a little more. Get a Shotgun News they aren't that much more for a better pistol. I paid $250 for a Star Firestar M40, hundred bucks more for a pistol I would trust my life with. I think it was around $204 or $205 out the door at Academy for a Rossi .357 snubnose, $50 more for a pistol I would trust my life with. Not even going to get into the Rugers I own, little over $300 out the door for a couple, $200 and noone will argue about a Ruger semi autos reliability. Those were brand new mind you, not used.

In fact I'll do a little research and see what I can't dig up in the $200-$300 price range and post them.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:53:37 PM EDT
[#16]
From J&G Sales
Star BM 9mm $149
BRNO CZ52 $89 for good and $119 for hand select
CZ 40P $299
S&W Model 10 $169-$209 depending on what specific submodel and grade
S&W 4046 $279 for good condition
S&W Sigma SW40F(pretty sure this is when they corrected the problems) $279

From Hoplite:
Police trade in S&W 6906 and 5906 both $279
Charter Arms Undercover $199

The Dealer Warehouse:
Walther P1s $249

That's a shortlist from an old issue. The last one had more. The prices probably have not changed much, cause if they do I never notice them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:22:15 AM EDT
[#17]
 I'm a gun snob because I dont want a Hi Point.  Right.

I dont buy any gun for bragging rights, I buy guns that are of good quality, affordable and will get the job done.  Then I practice with those guns and become proficient.  I'm not concerned with how much money I have into a gun, I only care that it works.  The Hi Points that I've shot have not been proven to work well enough for me to ever want one.

Remember, 1 well made pistol, rifle, shotgun is 100 times better than 10 pieces of shit.

You only have to buy quality once.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:16:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I think the conversation has gone off track.heI never insinuated that the gun can be used for WAR haveshooting them regards of the price of the gun.  Hi-Point products would not be on the American
market if it was as deadly hinkto determine if i like.he What is you-alls favorite hand gun to shoot or
hunt withhoot
(Semi-Auto)
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I think the conversation has gone off track. I said the Hi-Point is a good plinking gun.
I never insinuated that the gun can be used for WAR AS a multi gun owner i have fun
shooting them regards of the price of the gun.  Hi-Point products would not be on the American
market if it was as deadly as some of you say.  If i needed a gun for war (God forbid ) i
would turn to my AR's, M1's, modifided SKS, and so on. I don't think all,maybe one of you has even shoot a Hi-Point; you only go by what you read.  I have found that hands on is the best way
to determine if i like.

Lets turn the conversation around a little What is you-alls favorite hand gun to shoot or
hunt with Mine to shoot is the "Bushmaster Carbon 15 97S pistol SS 5.56 cal" Fun!!!
(Semi-Auto)

You like Hi-Point, we don't. You asked our opinions then get your panties in a knot because you don't agree with them. Were your intentions to start an "contraversial" post? You asked for evidence of better quality weapons at or near the same price range, I provide them and now you ask for us to agree to disagree.   Noone said anything about using a weapon in a war, you did. What I meant was self defense and that the Nagant is battle proven and I would trust one. A Hi-Point has not proven itself capable of plinking much less self defense.

I have not shot one, I was around one when it was being shot and it barely made it through a magazine. I handled the pistol, it had more slack than a chinese whore. The trigger was sloppy and the metal was cheap. Through these observations I chose not to shoot it as I did not feel it was safe to shoot anything much less high pressure rounds such as the .40 S&W.

Hi-Point would not be on the American market if it was unsafe. Have you seen all the products that do make it to the market that are unsafe? What about the countless rounds of ammunition that is overloaded thus causing "kabooms" in quality firearms. Would you trust a weapon like that to safely contain an overloaded round? Hell even Hk's have been blown up pretty damn good and they are considered top of the food chain by many.

You asked our opinions, you did not like the opinions and now you wanna change the subject. How old are you anyway?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#20]
While I don't doubt there are a few reliable ones out there, Hi-Points certainly rank as the most jam-tastic pistols I see at the range.  I expect to see someone beating open the slide on one just as much as I expect to see fat "Special Forces" guys wearing field jackets and sweat pants.  Spend an extra $50-100 and get a used Ruger or Smith and Wesson.  A Walther P1 can be had around $200.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:26:03 PM EDT
[#21]
You know i was warned about going into a chat site.  i have been shooting all types of weapons for 40yrs and the closed mined ass wipes i have encountered on this site is out of this world.  So many people think because they spend a lot of cash on a gun they think they know it all.  
Chat rooms are for fags i was told and it is true. i am out of here
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You know i was warned about going into a chat site.

This is an internet forum, chat is different.

i have been shooting all types of weapons for 40yrs and the closed mined ass wipes i have encountered on this site is out of this world.

Who's close minded?  I told you I have shot several Hi Point pistols.  I gave them a chance like I would give any other gun a chance.  That is not being close minded.

So many people think because they spend a lot of cash on a gun they think they know it all.

Have you read anything I've posted?  I clearly said I dont care about the money I have in a weapon, it only matters to me that it works.  I have several guns under the $200 mark that work very well.  They are reliable, accuracy is decent and they are fun to shoot.  If a gun fills that criteria then it has a spot in my safe...regardless of price.

Again this is not a chat room, this is an internet forum.  
The only fags here are the ones who ask opinions of other gun owners and then get cranky when everybody disagrees, instead of trying to listen to why nobody likes them.  That is being a close mined ass wipe.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
You know i was warned about going into a chat site.  i have been shooting all types of weapons for 40yrs and the closed mined ass wipes i have encountered on this site is out of this world.  So many people think because they spend a lot of cash on a gun they think they know it all.  

You're pretty damn immature for someone who supposedly has 40 years experience shooting "all kinds" of weapons. Fags? Asswipes? Yet you seem to claim to have 40 years experience, yeah right. Go back to the airsoft forums kiddie.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:06:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Maniac, I think he really did leave  Last login and last post date match his last post.

Oh well, I was told these internet forums sometimes get trolls and close mined ass wipes to stop by and talk their mindless BS.  I think that's what we have seen here.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:14:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Maniac, I think he really did leave  Last login and last post date match his last post.

Oh well, I was told these internet forums sometimes get trolls and close mined ass wipes to stop by and talk their mindless BS.  I think that's what we have seen here.

Must have. Maybe he just browsed and read my response to his stupidity. My first troll hunt with a clean kill, kind of exhilerating. OK not really. Either way I think we both busted his ass good.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#26]
He was Cheerleading pretty hard for Hi-Point.  Wonder if he was a dealer?  He posts on 2-15 asking about them, then on 2-16 he says he ordered one and and has already been plinking with it?  Even if he had it on order before his first post, seems pretty odd to me.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
He was Cheerleading pretty hard for Hi-Point.  Wonder if he was a dealer?  He posts on 2-15 asking about them, then on 2-16 he says he ordered one and and has already been plinking with it?  Even if he had it on order before his first post, seems pretty odd to me.  

I think he has owned one for a while and just wanted others opinions on them because he either really liked his or he wanted to start shit.

He was only looking for opinions, probably to back up his love for the piece of shit.  Didnt happen.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:23:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Honestly I don't care for them.
And yes I have shot , handled and seen them up close.
I work weekends in my brothers gun store.
He ordered one for the heck of it to see what it was. I wasn't very impressed.
really bulky, kind of a clumsy feel to it. the outside appearance was acceptable but not spectacular..
Trigger felt kinda funky on it. But I am used to Glocks and HK's.
As for shooting, well, it shot ok I guess.
Didn't have any malfunctions. But just felt weird in my hands.
But If I was on that budget, I would try to save up and look for a decent used revolver.
Especially if it were going to be used for self defense.

The carbine rifles they make are fun to shoot.
never had any issues with the one I owned. In fact it was surprisingly accurate for what it was.

My.02 save your cash and look for something a little better.
If you take your time you can find a good, decent, reliable hand gun.

ETA: ok never mind I just read the rest of the thread after I posted.
Me .. i wouldn't own one even if ti were given to me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#29]
I think your Glock is probably broke then
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I think your Glock is probably broke then

is this directed towards me?

If so, I meant I am used to the way the triggers feel in my glock and my Hk and the high-poin tdefintiely had a different weird feel to it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:57:27 AM EDT
[#31]
I shot friend's old hi-point 9mm pistol.  It was hitting almost 8 feet low at 25 feet.  I pretty much figured if it's shooting this poorly, what's to stop it from blowing up?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:08:41 PM EDT
[#32]
just to add my .02 cents worth

i own the 9mm comp version i bought this gun for $140 brand new and it has a life time warrenty , if you run it over with your truck and break it they will send a new one, i had another 9mm uncompensated version and it jammed on me once (failed to eject a spent round) i took it to the dealer he sent it out and they fixed ith with a exsplanation of what went wrong and sent me two new 10 round mags for free!

this gun isnt the smoothest pistol i have owned nor the prettiest but you pay $140 for one shoot it all day long and have fun its very accuate  and can be a good starter gun or a weapon you take to places you wouldnt want to take a $1500 firearm with you,  i have shot over 10k through my 9mm comp version with 2 FTE's which were my fault, and the only other prob is the mags tend to cheese up after lots of use, but they only $10 each

* ALSO  i might add i have noticed in a few of my holsters while walking throuhg the woods i have lost several mags  because the mag release gets pushed while in the holster  i hadnt had this problem with my other pistols so i figured i would tell you about that

but go and buy one they are pretty reliable and cheap  like i said not the prettiest thing but for a inexspensive firarm you can go wrong wiht there warrenty

Glockster19
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:47:24 PM EDT
[#33]
hmmm....

all of a sudden i really don't want to go to arizona this weekend...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
hmmm....

all of a sudden i really don't want to go to arizona this weekend...

Is is because you own a Hi Point?

And since we're on the subject, did you guys know the price of tea in China went up over the weekend?

Me thinks you posted this in the wrong thread pol_pot_47.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:15:30 PM EDT
[#35]
nah, this guy's from Arizona (unless he bs'ed his registration) and im headin down that way to check out the Yavapai gunsmithing school. hopin there arent many more like him there...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:20:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Ah, I gotcha now.

There are a TON of AZ members here, check out there hometown forum.  I think he was the exception to the majority of AZ members on this site.  Most of them are very knowledgable.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:11:09 PM EDT
[#37]
I've owned a hipoint, and it was cheap, and nasty, but to tell you the truth, it got the job done.

It's the "throwaway" of the gun world IMHO. But If I had to choose between a Hipoint or a knife, well, I'd be shooting a Hipoint once again.

But nothing compares with shooting a high quality handgun, like a Sig, or a Steyr, or Hk, etc, etc

If he can't realise that, then he just doesn't have the money to afford one to try, or he is one cheap bastard.

A highpoint can be compared to a Yugo .... It's a piece of crap, ...but it beats walking.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:22:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Worked at a gunshop where we sold a lot of them, mostly to gang-banger wanna-be's. Mostly pot metal, plastic triggers and cheap plastic sights. All are massive for their calibres because they use straight blowback instead of a more complicated delayed blowback system, even the 9mm, .40 S&W. and the .45 model. I guess for a tenant of the projects on a LOW budget they would be all right as a last ditch defense, but I can afford better, more reliable, MUCH better made weapons to trust my life to.

OTOH. my manager at the gun shop used to work at a rental range and he raved about the Hi Point 9mm Carbines as being nearly foolproof! Go figure.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Damn this thread is still going?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:36:44 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Damn this thread is still going?

You wasted your first post on this?

No worries, just go post in some of the gun porn threads to make up for it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:29:18 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

He should go start his own gun company.  Trollmaster Firearms.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#42]

first off they are cheap pistols, they arent something to exspect anything from, they arent gonna have a silky smooth slide or nice trigger but they do go boom, and for some peole they might want to spend as little money as possible to get into the sport, and that is resectable, the best thing about them is Hi point glady fixes or replaces them i have done it!

i would say go witht the 9mm comp version the 45 pistol just looks like shit at least the 9mm comp version has some use it is somewhat accuate and little more sporty, and it looks little better
dont worry about it just buy it

i bought one and still have it, its a cheap pistol dont exspect a glassy smooth slide and great trigger, but i cant say much bad about mine, def worth it! i once had a cartridge jam and i took it back to the dealer as he challenged me to get a ftf ot FTE and he sent it back to High Point and they sent the gun back fixed with an exsplanation and also sent two high cap mags for the wait, cant go wrong

was told if you run it over with your truck they will fix or replace it
im thinking of trying the carbine to strap to my trunk lid
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:35:20 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
first off they are cheap pistols, they arent something to exspect anything from, they arent gonna have a silky smooth slide or nice trigger but they do go boom, and for some peole they might want to spend as little money as possible to get into the sport, and that is resectable, the best thing about them is Hi point glady fixes or replaces them i have done it!

i would say go witht the 9mm comp version the 45 pistol just looks like shit at least the 9mm comp version has some use it is somewhat accuate and little more sporty, and it looks little better
dont worry about it just buy it

i bought one and still have it, its a cheap pistol dont exspect a glassy smooth slide and great trigger, but i cant say much bad about mine, def worth it! i once had a cartridge jam and i took it back to the dealer as he challenged me to get a ftf ot FTE and he sent it back to High Point and they sent the gun back fixed with an exsplanation and also sent two high cap mags for the wait, cant go wrong

was told if you run it over with your truck they will fix or replace it
im thinking of trying the carbine to strap to my trunk lid

For close to what a Hi-Point costs, I'd try to find myself a used S&W Sigma instead, or spend a little more to buy a new Sigma.  OTOH, I have heard that the Hi-Point carbines are very good for the money.  It's really apples and oranges to compare anything made by Hi-Point to more expensive products made by more reputable manufacturers.  The only pistols in the Hi-Point's price range that would likely offer better performance are Combloc military surplus pistols, like the Makarov, Tokarev, CZ-52, and similar.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm the new owner of my first handgun, a Hi-Point C9 9mm Compact.

Not only does this gun surpass my expectations, but it's performance has truely been amazing.  I've put 386 rounds through it as of yesterday evening, not a single jam, misfire, or problem yet.  Althouth I can't hit the broad side of a barn (first handgun after many years of long arms), I am practicing avidly and taking my Hi-Point to the range daily.

Anyone who says Hi-Point firearms are worthless has probably never shot one.  It's amazing how Hi-Point provides it's 9mm Carbine to so many police departments for their tactical rifle...do the reasearch and you'll learn about Hi-Point's hidden quality and Lifetime Warranty.  This is no Saturday night special....
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:49:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Wow, did oneshot223 get a new account and member name?
Did you read the entire thread?  If you had you would see that I as well as a few others have indeed put plenty of rounds through Hi Point pistols.  That fact that you say this is your first handgun shows you probably dont know what to look for when buying a pistol...outside of the price tag.  We all know about their great lifetime warranty, that's probably the best thing about Hi Point followed by their carbines.  If you read the rest of the thread you'd know that a few here have praised the little carbine, myself included.

Hi Point are definitely saturday night special guns.  I hope your gun holds up well for you, if it does great.  But you should know that for a bit more cash you could have yourself a real quality pistol.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:03:41 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I'm the new owner of my first handgun, a Hi-Point C9 9mm Compact.

Not only does this gun surpass my expectations, but it's performance has truely been amazing.  I've put 386 rounds through it as of yesterday evening, not a single jam, misfire, or problem yet.  Althouth I can't hit the broad side of a barn (first handgun after many years of long arms), I am practicing avidly and taking my Hi-Point to the range daily.

Anyone who says Hi-Point firearms are worthless has probably never shot one.  It's amazing how Hi-Point provides it's 9mm Carbine to so many police departments for their tactical rifle...do the reasearch and you'll learn about Hi-Point's hidden quality and Lifetime Warranty.  This is no Saturday night special....

Um I don't know of any police dept that use Hi-Point carbines as their anything rifles. I work at a police dept and I sure as hell know for sure none of the officers use them. Everyone of them uses an Ar-15 of some variant minus one of the officers who I think uses an M1A.

I've heard good things about their carbines as well. Would I give their carbine a shot? Yes. Would I trust my life with it? No, based on their past reputation. I'm glad some of you are having luck with your Hi-Points. Maybe they have improved their dependability, craftsmanship etc. I still wouldn't stake my life on a weapon produced by a company with such a shitty reputation. As stated before, One well made pistol, rifle or shotgun is 100 times better than ten pieces of shit.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#47]
If you don't OWN or have PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with a Hi-Point, your opinion is not valid, nor welcomed.

With that aside, I am a Hi-Point owner myself.  I've had it for a solid month now, and have put more than a thousand rounds of Independance 115gr FMJ down the tube with no jams, malfunctions, or problems of any kind.  This includes probably 300-400 rounds that were sloppily hand-loaded by my inexperienced wife.  The accuracy and mass of the C9 9mm is unsurpassed by any of it's competitors and is truely the only gun I could find that fit my hand well and remained in my budget.  

For those of you that argue Hi-Point isn't worth it because it's an ugly, or cheap looking gun...
WHO CARES what the gun looks like when you're staring down the barrell at a shiny bullet with your name on it immediately after you broke into the WRONG person's home???
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2157/1620/1600/PicG-me_and_my_glock.jpg
I bought my Hi-Point to defend myself, and I'm confident in the reliability to serve me in the most extreme situation.  I didn't buy it to hang in a glass case, take pictures of it surrounded by flowers, or show it off as my "Gun Porn".  
If you can't argue any better than over the looks of the gun, once again you're opinion is WORTHLESS.

As far as looks go, I don't see much of a difference in a Hi-Point C9 and a Glock 17.

Glock 17
http://www.no-scene.de/pics/glock17_1.gif

Hi-Point C9
http://www.schochsgunsandpaintball.com/image/5289164_scaled_213x160.JPG

I think both the Glock and Hi-Points alike are all "ugly" guns, but like I said, I'm not out to buy a "pretty gun".  

If I want Form I'll buy an old revolver or classic style wheel gun.
If I want Function, I'll stick with my Hi-Point, move up to a Glock or Sig, and be happy with a powerful gun.

The only thing I wanted when shopping for a gun was a "new" one.  However, I couldn't find any new guns I could afford (at $130) until I found my Hi-Point.  Sure I could have got something like a used P3AT, 1911, or other pawn king for close to the same price, but I surely wouldn't have the confidence of a LIFETIME WARRANTY, NEW CONDITION, and GREAT overall customer support.  

Did any of you rich guys EVER condsider not everyone in the world can afford to drop nearly a thousand dollars, or even $500 on a gun for home defense or sport???  I'm a 21 year old supporting my nearly 9 month old daughter and wife as a Quality Engineer (still on hourly pay).  If you can justify me withdrawing $700 from savings to buy a gun, LETS HEAR IT.  I can blow holes in stuff just as easily as you can, and my pocket and bank account will be fatter and I'll be smiling bigger when I leave the range after 500 rounds with no jams.

I am sick and tired of cynical ass-holes downgrading the quality, reliability, and general opinion of Hi-Point firearms, especially those with no experience.  Hi-Point and MKS supply has more than impressed me with their service and support, and their commitment to a Lifetime Warranty is something lots of new-gun-owners can't take advantage of when looking for a "good deal gun".  

If anyone would like to challenge me to my statements above, I would love to meet you at any of the IDPA match locations in Arkansas to blow you down.  Any takers?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Reason for drawing money out of savings? Defense of my wife and child. That is plenty of reason to do lots of things.

There is a little thing called layaway. And if you can't tell the difference in quality between a Glock(and I hate Glocks!) and a HiPoint then you are blind and kidding yourself. If that's all you can afford, fine I understand. But don't get pissy if people suggest that you should have waited or that bought a less than stellar weapon.  It's not a matter of being rich, I am far from rich nor am I a gun snob. I just will not buy a weapon with a bad reputation.

HiPoints are not anywhere near equal in quality as Glock, Ruger, S&W or any of the other guns that are in there price range. Oh yeah and something that is 100 times better than that HiPoint that is almost the exact same price? FEG PA63 9x18 Makarov. $153 bucks from J&G. 9x18 Makarov is a pretty stout caliber that comes in a small package. Probably end up buying one for a new concealed carry pistol.

One more thing:
I have been around HiPoints. I've handled HiPoints and been around them when they have been shot. It barely made it through 1 magazine!    So quit posting the same bullshit over and over saying if you dont have experience then your opinion doesn't matter. I would imagine most everyone on this board has some, albeit limited, experience with HiPoint.

ETA: This thread really needs to be locked. It's turned into a pissing match between HiPoint owners and everyone else, including myself.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:26:29 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Reason for drawing money out of savings? Defense of my wife and child. That is plenty of reason to do lots of things.

There is a little thing called layaway. And if you can't tell the difference in quality between a Glock(and I hate Glocks!) and a HiPoint then you are blind and kidding yourself. If that's all you can afford, fine I understand. But don't get pissy if people suggest that you should have waited or that bought a less than stellar weapon.  It's not a matter of being rich, I am far from rich nor am I a gun snob. I just will not buy a weapon with a bad reputation.

HiPoints are not anywhere near equal in quality as Glock, Ruger, S&W or any of the other guns that are in there price range. Oh yeah and something that is 100 times better than that HiPoint that is almost the exact same price? FEG PA63 9x18 Makarov. $153 bucks from J&G. 9x18 Makarov is a pretty stout caliber that comes in a small package. Probably end up buying one for a new concealed carry pistol.

One more thing:
I have been around HiPoints. I've handled HiPoints and been around them when they have been shot. It barely made it through 1 magazine!    So quit posting the same bullshit over and over saying if you dont have experience then your opinion doesn't matter. I would imagine most everyone on this board has some, albeit limited, experience with HiPoint.

ETA: This thread really needs to be locked. It's turned into a pissing match between HiPoint owners and everyone else, including myself.

Concur on the lock, this has become a little ridiculous.  +1 on the Makarov, I'd want one in .380 because of ammo commonality, though.  I agree that a Hi-Point wouldn't be my first choice as a defensive firearm.  I believe that surplus military pistols are probably the best "cheap" self-defense pistols you can buy because at least the design passed some sort of reliability test, so you know it's going to go bang when you want it to.  Also, with military surplus pistols, there's a large user base to draw information from and ammo/spare parts are cheap and available.  If something was designed to be used by a conscript soldier (as in the case of a lot of foreign Combloc weapons), odds are that you can fix it yourself if something goes wrong with it.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:21:18 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
If you don't OWN or have PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with a Hi-Point, your opinion is not valid, nor welcomed.

I have PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with a Hi-Point, therefore my opinion is  valid, and welcomed.

Rich guys my ass.  Try college student with full time job.  If you can afford $130 right now, then you can probably afford something better in a month or two.  It's called saving to get something worthwhile.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top