Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2012 11:20:32 AM EDT
Today I went and did my CCW course. My new Heritage revolver split in two, less then 25rds.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:22:15 AM EDT
Holy crap.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:37:55 AM EDT
Barrel blockage? Glad you are okay. now look for the root cause, don't sensationalize this. It appears to have had a blockage.

BTW why a .22 for CCW? jsut asking?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:46:17 AM EDT
OMG!!!!

As to a .22 for the range portion of a CCW, I used a .22 .45 .38 special and a .41 Magnum for my range portions. I just used what I wanted to shoot that day.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:51:57 AM EDT
Ugly... Squib.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:53:44 AM EDT
Not good!

Glad you're OK.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:17:02 PM EDT
I would think a blockage as well. Never had an issue with my uncles.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:44:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2012 1:45:50 PM EDT by fxntime]
Doesn't look like a blockage from a squib, almost looks like it split along a seam. A .22 very seldom splits a barrel, usually you just get a slight bulge or dark spot.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:04:16 PM EDT
My guess would be some sort defective metal was used in making the barrel (or maybe a heat treatment issue). And I'm wondering if the barrel is sleeved.

Incidentally, in taking a quick look at Heritage's website I see they do not sell barrels per this truly strange statement in their FAQ at http://www.heritagemfg.com/site/faq.cfm#q7

CAN I CHANGE MY ROUGH RIDER BARREL TO A DIFFERENT SIZE BARREL?

No, because your Rough Rider was registered to you with a certain barrel length and serial number. BATF maintains this information and it cannot be altered. If a barrel length is changed, then a new serial number and new registration must follow. This is a lengthy and costly procedure. We do not sell Barrels and Frames to consumers or dealers.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:13:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 199:
My guess would be some sort defective metal was used in making the barrel (or maybe a heat treatment issue). And I'm wondering if the barrel is sleeved.

Incidentally, in taking a quick look at Heritage's website I see they do not sell barrels per this truly strange statement in their FAQ at http://www.heritagemfg.com/site/faq.cfm#q7

CAN I CHANGE MY ROUGH RIDER BARREL TO A DIFFERENT SIZE BARREL?

No, because your Rough Rider was registered to you with a certain barrel length and serial number. BATF maintains this information and it cannot be altered. If a barrel length is changed, then a new serial number and new registration must follow. This is a lengthy and costly procedure. We do not sell Barrels and Frames to consumers or dealers.

I'm sure that's HUGE news to the BATF. Any company that floats a line of pure BS like this is not a company I'd buy anything from.

I suspect that the reason they won't sell new barrels is because there's a good chance the models with the Zamac (zinc) frame will break or crack if an attempt is made to re-barrel it.
Since few people have the correct frame wrench with inserts needed to do barrel work, most manufacturers won't sell barrels unless they're factory installed.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:29:43 PM EDT
I would look at the split barrel as a blessing. Now go out and find a real gun!!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:02:14 PM EDT
gun shoot with fork'ed barrel
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 5:20:34 AM EDT
Hmm I've had mine for years it came with 2 cylinders 22LR and 22WM and have never had a problem shooting either. I'm also thinking barrel blockage.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 6:37:55 AM EDT
Replace it with a Ruger Super Single Six. I had to paint houses all summer with my father when I was 10 to earn mine. 30 years later and still going strong. It was also the first firearm my daughter ever shot.

Glad you're OK.
Link Posted: 12/30/2012 12:31:04 PM EDT
Looks like a metal defect to me. A plugged barrel looks like a python after lunch, or else results in a fully plugged barrel. This plus the goofy safety pretty much rules this gun out for me. Too bad.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 7:07:02 PM EDT
Oops, looks to me like you need a new gun, congratulations.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 1:44:47 PM EDT
When you try to spit a bullet by shooting it at an axe, you don't need that axe INSIDE the barrel.

Glad no one was hurt.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 8:56:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By fxntime:
Doesn't look like a blockage from a squib, almost looks like it split along a seam. A .22 very seldom splits a barrel, usually you just get a slight bulge or dark spot.

Yep.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 1:52:27 PM EDT
If its a blockage and a poorly machined barrel it will split like that.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 12:30:34 PM EDT
if it IS new i would think the company would offer to replace the gun free of charge...

i see them onsale for $160 or so
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 9:10:45 PM EDT
what the???

Link Posted: 1/7/2013 9:53:18 PM EDT
Since it's a rimfire at least the company can't blame reloads.

Looks like the metal just split. I don;t see any bulge which would be indicative of a barrel obstruction.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 5:12:22 AM EDT
NOT a squib. Squibs bulge the barrel (you can usually feel it) plus. That's the first time I've ever seen a barrel do that and I've seen a good number of squibs (including a .38 with FOUR bullets backed up in the barrel)

I'd call the company and if they're willing to spring for a new barrel and shipping then let them fix it. Then SELL that SOB after full disclosure to prospective buyers.

That is one hell of a defect there bud.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 4:01:35 PM EDT
Don't take offense but it's a cheap gun made out of cheap metal .
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 1:47:49 PM EDT
That is now a great conversation piece. Well worth the price!

For shooting a Ruger Single Six is most excellent but probably will not turn into a conversion piece.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 6:35:28 PM EDT
I agree, no offense, but it's a cheap gun that just taught a valuable lesson. Try to get them to reimburse you, take that money and buy a Ruger 22 then put your blown up gun in a case and use it as a conversation piece. Glad you weren't injured.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 10:17:21 PM EDT
1st, it is a cheap gun. but it still shouldn't have done that. mind me asking what ammo it was? I ask because the other day I was shooting remington bulk 22lr out of a semi-auto handgun, and for the first time in 30 years of shooting 22's I had a case split on me. I crap you not, it split just like high pressure from 30-06 or something. Hopefully i remember where I kept it becuase I mean to contact Remington about it. no harm done to my daughter (who was shooting) or the gun, but still disturbing.

Red
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 4:23:42 PM EDT
I've heard of such things in various calibers from Aguila ammo so I'm curious to hear the ammo type also.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 1:24:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2013 1:25:20 PM EDT by bradleyswine]
If I were you I would keep the revolver for a trophy. It's not like it was a high dollar item. Have somebody (or you) seal the revolver in a block of clear resin as a conversation item.

Heck, I am thinking about buying it from you if you want to sell it as is so that I could have somebody make it into a nifty display in a resin ice cube.

Bradley-swine@hotmail.com
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 10:05:29 PM EDT
I know this is an old post but to me the most important thing not mentioned here ,is that if you take the CCW course with a revolver then that is all you will be

licensed to carry! If you must use a 22 for the ammo costs then rent or borrow a MK 111 or such semi-auto,then you will have all three classes of pistols on

it. Meaning Revolver-semi-auto-derringer.

Bob
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 11:00:51 AM EDT
I would spread the barrel and turn it into a bike rack.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:17:07 PM EDT
The local GS got a few of these in. After examining one I asked why they didn't send them back.
" So we would have something in the case" was the reply. It reminded me of the F.I.E. guns of the 80's
The joke was F.I.E. stood for " Fuck! It Exploded! "
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:05:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bobbyjack:
I know this is an old post but to me the most important thing not mentioned here ,is that if you take the CCW course with a revolver then that is all you will be

licensed to carry! If you must use a 22 for the ammo costs then rent or borrow a MK 111 or such semi-auto,then you will have all three classes of pistols on

Bob

What state do you live in where they limit what you can use for CC based on what you took the class with?
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 1:14:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Bucksaw:
Originally Posted By bobbyjack:

Bob

What state do you live in where they limit what you can use for CC based on what you took the class with?

Yep, that is a state by state thing, no such requirement in most that have shall issue ccw laws.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 2:07:15 PM EDT
Squib.
Top Top