Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 3:09:40 PM EDT

Hi, guys,

So, reading through all these posts, and having looked at all of the parts on Brownell's for 1911s today, a thought occurred to me.  It's really hard for newbies to tell what are good 1911 parts manufacturers and what parts might not be good.  Even more so, some parts makers have some parts that are quite good and others that just plain suck or don't work.  Don't even ask me about my experience with a Mueschke ambi safety that is now in my hall of shame.

So, is anyone interested in collaborating on some comparisons among 1911 parts manufacturers to produce something like the magazine faq or does that sound like way too much work, or something duplicated elsewhere?

Cheers,

kk7sm
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:32:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, I want to keep the hammer and sear pin from it, since I might need those in the future, but the two sides of it?  Sure.  I'd mail them to you.  I could make it fit together with some judicious filing, but I'm too lazy and the dovetail where the left and right side of the ambi-safety are supposed to meet just is nowhere near a fit.

If you want 'em, IM me an address and once I find the thing, I'll send it your way.  I've had it sitting around for about 5 years now, so I'll have to dig for it.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:05:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:31:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
As a generalization, I like anything from Wilson or Ed Brown.  I also like Smith and Alexander, Greider Precision, Kart, Bar-Sto, Kings, Cylinder and Slide, Yost-Bonitz, and Nowlin.  Stuff I avoid are McCormick and John Masen.  With sights, it's Bo-Mar,  Novak or Heinie for me

Thanks for the hints!

I was more interested in doing a parts matrix sort of thing, but I imagine you're right on the various opinions.  Speaking of McCormick, I was considering taking a long lunch soon and wandering over to his shop one day soon.  I don't use many of his parts, but I do like the power mags.  I always like going to these shops, though.  I usually find something I can't live without.

Cheers,

kk7sm
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:30:37 PM EDT
[#6]
OK, well, I like his magazines.  I'm not at all interested in the other parts.  I have other vendors I prefer.  But that's good information.  I've had some weird luck with mag releases, too.  I got a Wilson that was actually warped just enough that it wouldn't fit anything I could try it in.  I guess I could return them, but I usually wind up tossing them in a can of interesting and weird stuff I have.

Just luck of the draw, I guess, but I seem to get some doozies in at times, and I don't even buy that many parts for 1911s!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top