Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/23/2004 4:59:24 PM EST
I need some help/opinions. I am an avid handgun shooter and novice trap and sporting clay shooter. I have been shooting since I was 8 years old.

I own my father's Browning Hi-Power, which was manufactured back in 1971. It is in pristine condition, and my dad did extensive trigger work and machined on new sights (a LOOOOONG time ago).

I love the gun. However, every time I shoot it, it seems to jam. Not just once but 30-50% of the rounds that go through the gun jam. I shoot factory ammo through it (though I am not sure the brand...it is whatever my police department buys), and when I shot it on Friday, it kept malfunctioning again and again. It jams when a new round goes into the firing chamber, does not feed correctly, or double feeds.

Do you think it needs a factory tune up?
Do I send it in to FN? Can a gunsmith do it?
Or is it time to retire the gun?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. You can also email me at mfm691cfo@sbcglobal.net

Thank you very much!

Marcus
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:11:08 PM EST
John Blauvelt in NY State worked on my Hi Power.
It ran great when he was done.
Your dad may have massaged some of the parts a bit too much.
If you PM me, I will forward his info.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:56:40 PM EST
Check for cracked or bent feed lips on the mags. Make sure youve got a firm grip on it. If your grip is too light your wrist soaks up the recoil thats needed to properly cycle the action.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:12:19 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:18:14 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:41:15 PM EST
Swap mags & ammo, clean the shit out of the gun & feed ramp & oil the hell out of the slide rails & it should run like shit thru a goose.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:06:12 PM EST
Thank you to everyone who responded. I am ordering a new mag and recoil spring tomorrow
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:31:17 AM EST
Your HP is a '71 so it has a hump feed ramp. These are not very condusive to JHP's so you may want to have a look into that too. It may need a good polishing to help feed rounds and you might also want to talk to a good armorer regarding the reshaping of the feed ramp so it is straight and will feed JHP's. This is one possiblity since you didn't mention what type of ammo you were shooting. You might want to try some FMJ's just to see how they perform assuming that you haven't already.

RC
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:28:58 AM EST
RC,

Thanks for the input. I only use Jacketed Ammo, no HPs. This is only a target gun. Good call, it was made pre 1971.

Marcus
Top Top