Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2002 6:41:44 AM EDT
I am interested in getting a very small "pocket" type pistol. I will be taking this along while biking, running, checking livestock, and walking around the grounds (city boy in the country). Keep in mind I do not have a CCW permit but  I will be on private property at all times with this.  I will mostly need it for an occasional rabid varmint and self-defense is not really and issue here.

My options thus far are a

Cat9
Beretta 21
Taurus pt22
Beretta tomcat
Does anyone have any other suggestions or comments on my available choices?
How would a 32acp compare?
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 7:14:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I suggest a S&W Model 36 or 37 J-frame revolver. 37 is the Airweight, a bit lighter for carry.
.38 Special will take care of whatever comes at you, short of a bear, and it is safe to carry in a pocket.
Go hammerless if you are afraid of snagging the hammer, but be aware that Smith is designed to not fire from a partial hammer pull.
And hammerless deprives you of a single action well-aimed shot.
Get bird shot pistol rounds if you are dealing with snakes, makes it easier to hit them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 9:11:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm with Hannah, a small frame 2 or 3inch 357/38 special will fill the bill.

Either Smith&Wesson J frame S&W or a ruger sp101 Ruger
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 4:47:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Kahr MK9

ARH
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:23:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like a Kel-Tec P32 is the ideal gun for your situation.  .32 is superior to .22 and .25, but a little light for personal defense.  If you want to go with a little more powerful round, I also recommend an aluminum J-frame .38 Special.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top