Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/3/2004 3:11:54 PM EST
There seem to be many variations, so many that I dont know which to get and what the differences are. ALSO, what would be comparable is springfield.
TLE
TLE II
TLE/RL
Custom etc, etc, etc.

Here is what I would like to defenitely have on it.
Adjustable sights
front strap checkering
durable finish(NOT STAINLESS)
all the little extras like the thumb safety extension, slide release extension and so on.
Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:40:23 PM EST
Custom II is what the TLE Series is built from.
You didn't say which Model of Springfield.
However, the TLE II has almost all that you want. You can order the extended Thumb release from the custom shop since to get a "Durable Finish" from Kimber that is not Stainless you will need to have the TLE II finished with KimPro. Great finish when it is done. It is a phenolic Resin finish that is tuff as nails. Choose the TLE II Rail if you want a rail. Holsters are available, but not in many configurations. You'll love it!!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:51:33 PM EST
Thanks for the help, any Idea on an acceptable price for the TLE II?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:54:15 PM EST
Get the Warrior, one of the anniversary models, or a used Series I. Configuration is up to you.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:23:03 PM EST
Just got my 1st kimber!

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:47:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/4/2004 11:48:22 AM EST by Para504]
Check out the Kimber Eclipse Target. It has most of the features you want and has a different look (smokey/blackened stainless). http://www.kimberamerica.com/eclipse.php

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:13:13 PM EST
I asked the same question on this board a few months ago.
I choose the TLE/RL
I love it!!
Shadow
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:06:57 PM EST
Did you consider the Tactical Custom II or Tactical Pro II? I bought a Tactical Pro II and love it. While the tacticals don't have adjustable sights, they do have some desirable features like a beveled mag well, extended mags, 5 lb trigger, tactical extractor and Meprolight three dot night sights with Tritium inserts. Tacticals are also 7075 aluminum which really reduce weight for carry.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:35:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/9/2004 5:36:32 AM EST by Timberghost]
Here is a picture of my Eclipse Target II. I absolutely love this pistol. Very accurate and eats everything I throw at it. I can honestly say it has never had one malfunction.

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:52:58 AM EST
Custom TLE 2 has worked well for me.

r/s

Dan
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:19:36 AM EST

Originally Posted By norman74:
Get the Warrior, one of the anniversary models, or a used Series I. Configuration is up to you.

Great suggestions.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:25:18 AM EST
I like the 5" models myself. But hey! Whatever loads your clip, dude.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:13:23 PM EST
Why extended slide release? What are you going to do with this pistol?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:17:58 PM EST
Bag on that extended slide release unless you intend to never do anything but punch paper with it. Carry & combat guns are far better without them. The 1911 slidestop is best engaged with the thumb of your left hand.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:22:09 PM EST

Originally Posted By icantdance:
I like the 5" models myself.

But hey! Whatever loads your clip, dude.

WTF, over?

Some of us use magazines in our sidearms......
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:15:24 PM EST
I just took a pistol coarse at Blackwater yesterday. There were two kimbers in the class. My 25th Anniversary Custom and another students TLE. Lets just say they both ran like a champ. The only 1911 that had any problems was a Les Baer and I think the majority of its problems were operator induced.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:20:31 AM EST

Originally Posted By Va_Dinger:
The only 1911 that had any problems was a Les Baer and I think the majority of its problems were operator induced.

I have heard reports that they have lots of problems at Gunsite as well. It may well not be operator error.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:52:45 AM EST

Bag on that extended slide release unless you intend to never do anything but punch paper with it. Carry & combat guns are far better without them. The 1911 slidestop is best engaged with the thumb of your left hand.

This is what I used to do for years-until I recently took a basic pistol course with Giles Stock of Gunsite at www.fireinstitute.org. You are supposed to use your support hand (left in my case) to grasp the slide, pull rearward, and release in one smooth motion, just like in a clearance drill. Be careful NOT to cover your support hand with the muzzle.

I have a series 1 Kimber compact that I like after doing some tweaking to get it to run reliably, but my new vintage Springfields have been excellent out of the box.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:56:43 AM EST

Originally Posted By SP10:
You are supposed to use your support hand (left in my case) to grasp the slide, pull rearward, and release in one smooth motion, just like in a clearance drill. Be careful NOT to cover your support hand with the muzzle.

Actually you're "supposed" to do whatever works best for you. I have used both methods. However since the original poster said he wanted an extended one, I figured he was using the slide stop. If he is, he's better off learning to use his left thumb.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:38:10 AM EST
I'd get a Springfield Loaded. Nice thing with 'em is that you can easily get rid of the "lawyer lock" (unlike Kimber) by switching out MSH's. Then send it out for a trigger job and you'll still have saved money and have a great 1911. I have a "pre-lock" SA Loaded and it is fantastic. Never a FTF, FTC, or FTE in over 3,000 rounds.

R
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:26:44 PM EST

Originally Posted By Va_Dinger:
The only 1911 that had any problems was a Les Baer and I think the majority of its problems were operator induced.

I have heard reports that they have lots of problems at Gunsite as well. It may well not be operator error.

After a personal experience with a LB TRS, I would say that they have significant structural issues, and coincedentally extrememly poor customer service.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 2:44:04 PM EST
Pro Carry HDII here.. Love it!!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 2:45:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By mcgrubbs:
After a personal experience with a LB TRS, I would say that they have significant structural issues, and coincedentally extrememly poor customer service.

Rock River Arms, all of the benefits of Les Baer, none of the problems.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:56:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By Trumpet:
I'd get a Springfield Loaded. Nice thing with 'em is that you can easily get rid of the "lawyer lock" (unlike Kimber) by switching out MSH's. Then send it out for a trigger job and you'll still have saved money and have a great 1911. I have a "pre-lock" SA Loaded and it is fantastic. Never a FTF, FTC, or FTE in over 3,000 rounds.

R

We dont need no stinkin' "Lawyer Lock" here in Ohio. Kimbers sold here dont have 'em. Kimbers here also come with a pretty sticker on the case that says: "NO SHELL CASE ENCLOSED FOR MD & NY"
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:44:20 AM EST

Originally Posted By Nugz:

R

We dont need no stinkin' "Lawyer Lock" here in Ohio. Kimbers sold here dont have 'em. Kimbers here also come with a pretty sticker on the case that says: "NO SHELL CASE ENCLOSED FOR MD & NY"

No Kimbers come with a "lawyer lock". Instead they come with a god-aweful internal firing pin safety that is completely useless at best and a liability on a self defense firearm at worst.

I'd still take one over a Springfield anyday though.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:07:21 AM EST

Originally Posted By Nugz:

R

No Kimbers come with a "lawyer lock". Instead they come with a god-aweful internal firing pin safety that is completely useless at best and a liability on a self defense firearm at worst.

I'd still take one over a Springfield anyday though.

Thats why I always recomend buying one of the 25th Anniversay models or wait for the warrior.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:33:07 PM EST
The "Schwartz" safety is what I was referring to as the Kimber's "Lawyer lock". I'd take a NIB series I Kimber over a SA anyday, but NOT a Series II.

R
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:13:49 PM EST

But what are the wait times like with RR??
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:38:39 PM EST

Direct I believe they are down to 6 months dependign on the finish you want. There are dealers who try to stock them though, including adco. Every RRA is built to suit, and therefore is actually a custom gun. The dealers that stock them are trying to do their best to choose popular combinations of parts.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:51:56 PM EST
I bought a pair of SA's last week.....only got one in so far, but after 200 rounds....well, I've had better.

The slide lock is under-dimensioned. sometimes it locks mid-magazine, especially w/ +p ammo.

I swapped the grips...2 of the 4 bushings came off the frame w/ the screws.

The ambi safety was very loose.

But all of the above can be fixed...I was planning on swapping the safety, hammer, sear, hammer strut, and slide lock anyway.

I'm keeping the pistol, FWIW. The good news is that it has thus far fed/ejected flawlessly with 4 different HP loads and several different magazines.

But I already have my eyes on another ancient colt.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:55:04 PM EST

I was recently told 6-8 months. RRA has been very busy since the AWB sunset, I had trouble even getting a quote for my custom build.
Top Top