Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2005 7:35:52 PM EDT
I've decided that my first pistol should be a 1911 and a Kimber. I've narrowed it down to either a Custom II TLE or a Tactical Custom II. Aside from the Tactical having an extended mag well, external extractor,  and an aluminum frame, what else makes it worth the extra money? Also, is the external extractor a good thing or no? I thought that I've heard complaints against them. FYI, it's going to be the only pistol I own (i'm not as wealthy as I'd like to be...), so it will serve as a plinker, a home defense weapon, and maybe even a carry gun should I ever be so inclined.  Any and all input, factual or opinion, will be highly appreciated because this money in my pocket is itching to be spent!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I have 5 Kimbers

2 are series I, 3 are series II

2 have external extractors, 3 have internal

All work fine.   Most folks prefer the series I and internal extractor.

How about a CDP?   I carry a pro cdp II for CCW, and I've used it for 3 day handgun courses.   It does it all.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:58:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The CDP's are fantastic CCW guns.  They are fully melted and ridiculously accurate.  At about $1k, new, you are hard pressed to find a better 1911 for CCw/defensive purposes.
They come in all sizes, too.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:39:06 PM EDT
[#3]
How do the CDP's differ from the Tactical  or the TLE? Does anyone know if they are available in black as opposed to two-tone?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#4]
The TLE is a steel frame

The Tactical is aluminum

The CDP's are aluminum

The CDP's have a full melt treatment (rounded edges)

I think CDP's are only in 2 tone.

Left to Right:

Warrior, TLE RLII, Tactical Custom II, Classic Custom, Pro CDP  II

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:52:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been told that the aluminum frames will wear out significantly faster than steel ones. When i go to the range, I like to shoot ALOT... am I better off with a steel frame or is the wear difference negligable? I want a mono-tone pistol to keep it aesthetically close to the 1911's of eras gone by (and 'cuz I just like "evil black things". I also want to keep it within the $600-900 range.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Define "a lot".

I've got several cases (case = 1,000) through that Pro CDP II with no appreciable wear.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#8]
By alot I mean about 500 rounds or so about every 2-3 months. Probably 2k-3k per year. How long at that rate before I would see adverse wear on an aluminum framed pistol?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

By alot I mean about 500 rounds or so about every 2-3 months. Probably 2k-3k per year. How long at that rate before I would see adverse wear on an aluminum framed pistol?

I haven't had any of my 1911's long enough to answer that.   But from what I've seen on the 1911 forums, I don't think you'd have much to worry about.

Main thing is use Wilson mags - metal followers can gouge up the feedramp on a aluminum frame
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#10]
So, basically, for my application, it pretty much just comes down to how much I want to shell out. For the price the TLE II is looking good. The CDP appears to be about $150 more, which Doesn't seem justifiable for my requirements. i could use the price difference for a nice Safariland holster and some extra mags.
Thanks for all your help Fight4YourRights, you've been greatly helpful!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:38:09 PM EDT
[#11]
einie meenie mynie moe

you can't go wrong,  just close your eyes and grab one.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The CDP's are fantastic CCW guns.  They are fully melted and ridiculously accurate.  At about $1k, new, you are hard pressed to find a better 1911 for CCw/defensive purposes.
They come in all sizes, too.

+1.  This is one of the best guns Kimber has ever produced.  Price is a bit high.  Out of the two that you have mentioned (TLE or Tactical), I would go with the TLE (internal extractor).  With the TLE it is a steel gun both frame and slide, so you will not get gouges in the frame from feeding like on the tactical.  Out of the box it is a shooter with no un-wanted/need parts.  

Things that I would change: mags-Wilson, Novak, Megar, etc, extractor-Wilson BP, mainspring housing-switch to a metal one and the slide stop to a Wilson BP.  The barrel bushing seems to be fine.  I own a TLEII (external) and it has been a great gun.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
einie meenie mynie moe

you can't go wrong,  just close your eyes and grab one.

Yes, quite possibly you could go wrong.  As others have stated, do yourself a favor
and stay away from the external extractor models.  Most everything shipping out from Kimber
recently have the internal extractors.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:50:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Since I have the Pro CDP ll also and love it, that's the one you should get.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Warrior, if I could find a Tactical with an internal extractor I'd buy it too.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I too, have been shopping to purchase a handgun recently and have finally settled on a TLE/RL II.  Called all the dealers within an hour of me and nobody has them.  They all told me that they don't have any or have just sold their last one and that I'll have to order.    

btw, this thread has helped in cementing my choice on getting a 1911 kimber.  Thanks for all the info guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top