Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2011 11:44:13 AM EDT
My normal carry is a glock 23 but I'm looking for something that is smaller for deep concealment. My preferred carry method is AIWB, but I'd like to be able to pocket carry if that would be my only option based on attire.

I am estimating that this would be carried 25% of the time with my Glock getting the other 75%.

I don't want to do a .380.

So far I am considering a smith 442/642 J-frame and the Kahr PM9. What else should I be looking at? I want something small enough to never leave home without, but with some semblance of power that it can hold it's own in a fight.

Price range is under $600ish.

Don't want to do a glock 27, had one and too thick and chunky, and heavy for this purpose.

I like the J-frame for it's reliability and smooth lines. It's been around forever so it must work. The price is also nicer.

The Kahr holds 2 more, in a caliber I already have and has a manual of arms similar to my primary carry piece. But it costs almost twice as much, doesn't have the smooth feel of the revolver and is more susceptible to malfunction. It also has less of a grip to grab on for pocket or AIWB carry.

At this point I'm leaning toward the J-frame. Does anyone have both and like one more than the other?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm a J-frame man. I carry a S&W 340 which is a little out of your price range but the scandium frame sure is light.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

My normal carry is a glock 23 but I'm looking for something that is smaller for deep concealment. My preferred carry method is AIWB, but I'd like to be able to pocket carry if that would be my only option based on attire.

I am estimating that this would be carried 25% of the time with my Glock getting the other 75%.

I don't want to do a .380.

So far I am considering a smith 442/642 J-frame and the Kahr PM9. What else should I be looking at? I want something small enough to never leave home without, but with some semblance of power that it can hold it's own in a fight.

Price range is under $600ish.

Don't want to do a glock 27, had one and too thick and chunky, and heavy for this purpose.

I like the J-frame for it's reliability and smooth lines. It's been around forever so it must work. The price is also nicer.

The Kahr holds 2 more, in a caliber I already have and has a manual of arms similar to my primary carry piece. But it costs almost twice as much, doesn't have the smooth feel of the revolver and is more susceptible to malfunction. It also has less of a grip to grab on for pocket or AIWB carry.

At this point I'm leaning toward the J-frame. Does anyone have both and like one more than the other?

My preference is for the PM9; mine has been boringly reliable. However - if carrying AIWB, I'd want something with an exposed hammer or a manual safety. In that case, I'd go with a J frame with an exposed hammer.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 11:58:32 AM EDT
[#3]
i heart my G26
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:07:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I just asked a similar question yesterday but I was only really wanting to pocket carry for similar reasons. I am considering .380 but am not crazy about it, my EDC now is a Glock 19.
Somone suggested a Smith 442 which is what I am looking at now, as well as a PF9, LCP, or LC9.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#5]
take your $600. find a 2-2.5" K-frame. Buy it. Shoot a good 300 or so rounds through it, then borrow or rent a J-frame for a minute and compare. Just remeber who to thank the hell out of for steering you from a J-frame.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Kahr CM9(just out)
PPS9
PF9????????????
LC9????????????
J-Frame
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm looking at

Kahr CM9 - looks great. Time and reviewers will prove reliability
S&W J-frame - only negative I see is small sights, and needs lots of practice from what I've heard.
Ruger LC9 - Undecided about this gun in all it's saftiness
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:59:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'm looking at

Kahr CM9 - looks great. Time and reviewers will prove reliability

S&W J-frame - only negative I see is small sights, and needs lots of practice from what I've heard.

Ruger LC9 - Undecided about this gun in all it's saftiness

XS Sights now has a Big Dot tritium sight for J-frames - http://www.xssights.com/NewProducts/index.html

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for the S&W 340.  If you look around hard enough, You'll find one for around $600.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've had a 642 for about a month. These guns are great for pocket carry since they have a very smooth profile. Makes drawing very easy.

Sights are very small though and hard to see. I can hit center of mass @ 10m right now, so I need some more practice. It also beats up the web between your thumb and index finger. I can usually shoot no more than 100 rounds per range session before my hand is done.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
i heart my G26

Or a G27. You already have the .40 ammo.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Is the Walther PPS too large?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:18:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Went throught the same thought process last spring after moving back to Florida.
I went with the Kahr CW40 and haven't looked back, about 500 rounds through it with no issues.
Best of luck, lots of great choices out there.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:22:39 AM EDT
[#14]
J-frame. I don't use the sights. This gun is a point-n-shoot.  Practice with the gun about stomach height, arm bent.
In a short time you will regularly hit a std. target at 7-10ft.  This a strictly a SD gun. No bullseye shooting with it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:46:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Kahr PM9. I have though about buying a revolver, but can not get past the different manual of arms (mainly reloads). I have had my Kahr for about 4 months now, put 600 rounds threw it with no malfunctions. Its a great shooting gun very accurate, but dose have some muzzle flip.

I normally shoot a Glock 26, and have no problem switching back and forth to the Kahr (one thing people seem to not like about the kahr is the long trigger reset, not a problem for me buy YMMV) I plan on starting to shoot the Kahr at my local IDPA matches and see how it preforms.

Edit: Also there is a cost savings with the Kahr, which is the difference between 38 SPL and 9MM ammo, this is assuming that you shoot your carry guns often.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:56:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
take your $600. find a 2-2.5" K-frame. Buy it. Shoot a good 300 or so rounds through it, then borrow or rent a J-frame for a minute and compare. Just remeber who to thank the hell out of for steering you from a J-frame.

The K frames clearly are better, more enjoyable guns, but sometimes you have to weigh other factors higher. I love my 3-inch M65 (3 inch is FAR superior to 2.5 inches) but I've decided I can't carry it. The 638 is fine though (as is a Glock 19).

One other gun I would suggest the OP look at is the S&W 3913 or 3914.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:17:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I want every advantage I can get..Can I reload revolver as fast as a magazine change ? My answer is no. My daily carry for last 8 months has been a revolver. I've worked with various methods of reload. I can do mag change and fire it completely empty and grab another magazine in the time it takes me to thumb reload my revolver. Shot placement is fine if you have it and life threatening if you don't.

I bought my Dad a PM9 last summer. It has been rock solid from the box, new. PM9 is the pistol for pocket carry.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:11:35 AM EDT
[#18]
S&W bodyguard 38 Spl? 5 rounds built in laser sight should be in your budget as well

link
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Went to a show today and played around with a couple guns, an LCR, a 642, a PM40(no 9's) and a CW9.

The 642 I really didn't care for. It felt heavier than I thought it would be, and I could not get past how incredibly awful the trigger is. I would have a very hard time staying on target with a trigger that bad.

I liked the feel of the LCR a little better. It was lighter, the trigger much smoother and the rubber grip was longer and easier to get a good grip on. I'd rather have a grip smaller and smoother for pocket carry though.

The CW9 really impressed me for the price. The trigger pull was long, but nice and smooth and light. I could fall in love with that trigger. The size was a little big for pocket carry, but I think this would make an awesome everyday IWB CCW gun.

The PM40 echoes everything about the CW9 I liked except in a smaller package. Great trigger, awesome thin profile. I liked the size a lot for what I am looking for. This thing just oozes quality.

I am going to wait a couple weeks for the CM9's to start shipping, but I may just pony up for the nicer PM9. This was the first time I ever seriously looked at a Kahr and I'm really impressed with them.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:04:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is the Walther PPS too large?

I like the thin-ness, but overall it is too big for occasional pocket carry.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
i heart my G26

I have owned both a G26 and G27 in the past. The G26 I had choked a couple times on some hollow points so I sold it, but other than that I really liked it. I just didn't feel I could trust it for SD.

The G27 was OK, but I couldn't shoot it as well as my G23. Ended up trading it for an XD45 for my wife.

Both of these guns are good CCW guns, but too heavy and thick for my needs for this purchase.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#22]
PM9 is what I carry. Easy to conceal, still 9mm.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:38:17 PM EDT
[#23]
2 jframes
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:55:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:55:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i heart my G26

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:19:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
i heart my G26

I would agree.  However he said he did not want a Glock 27.  I would then look at the new Ruger LCP and LCR.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:20:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
i heart my G26

I have owned both a G26 and G27 in the past. The G26 I had choked a couple times on some hollow points so I sold it, but other than that I really liked it. I just didn't feel I could trust it for SD.

The G27 was OK, but I couldn't shoot it as well as my G23. Ended up trading it for an XD45 for my wife.

Both of these guns are good CCW guns, but too heavy and thick for my needs for this purchase.

Sounds like you got a good deal! I wish I could trade my old lady for a gun!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top