Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2012 4:34:20 PM EDT
My wife wants a CCW  gun.

She has shot both semi-auto and revolvers in limited amounts. She wants the simplicity of a revolver.

I have a feeling that which ever one we get it will end up wearing CT grips.

She fondled both at the gun store today and like the feel of the LCR better, but it did not have CT grips. I know the LCR has a better trigger, but the 642 I am looking at has Apex springs in it and is very comparable to the LCR.

More than likely, it will be carried in her purse or coat pocket. I doubt she will carry it on her waist very much.

Pic of the wife...
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Friend, you answered your own question.

It's her gun.

Get the LCR.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Get her what she likes and life is good.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 11:59:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My wife wants a CCW  gun.

She has shot both semi-auto and revolvers in limited amounts. She wants the simplicity of a revolver.

I have a feeling that which ever one we get it will end up wearing CT grips.

She fondled both at the gun store today and like the feel of the LCR better, but it did not have CT grips. I know the LCR has a better trigger, but the 642 I am looking at has Apex springs in it and is very comparable to the LCR.

More than likely, it will be carried in her purse or coat pocket. I doubt she will carry it on her waist very much.

Pic of the wife...
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq8/sp1508/8-11014.jpg

I like the feel of the 1911 better than a Glock, but I can't shoot the 1911 for crap....

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Has she shot a lightweight revolver like the two she's considering? If not, I recommend finding a range with rentals so she can. My wife found the difference between my SP101 and her 642 very surprising. She doesn't find the 642 pleasant to shoot at all. As such, she hasn't fired it in nearly two years. Not great since it's her CCW.

I'm trying to get her to look for something else, but she likes the size of it.

ETA:She was shooting .38+P out of both, not .357 in the SP101.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Have her try it out in her most likely carry locations. Have her also put some rounds through it before settling.

My wife started with a Ti framed S&W in .32 mag because it was small and light (5'2", 110-120). After some classes, she found she liked my semi-autos better. She also found the pistol easier to conceal in the purse side pocket and ended up with an LC9.
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#6]
The LCR does have a great trigger, but I personally can't stand the thought of a polymer revolver, but I am not your wife I prefer a j-frame out of the two.

Has she ever shot a snubby? She might not like it as much as she thinks. A semiauto, like a G19, that's easy to rack and shoot, yet easy to carry, might be an option.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 2:51:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 3:34:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Have your wife make an appointment with a doc ASAP for a checkup...something is wrong with her spine because women almost always lean waaay back from the waist when they shoot a handgun

I say S&W if you must go the little revolver route, but I would find a Shield for her...

Lol! I've tried to teach her...

She has shot my Glock 23, and my S&W Shield (9MM). She prefers the simplicity of a revolver and has all kinds of trouble racking the slide with no stress. I can't imagine if she had to do it to clear a stoppage under stress.

FWIW, she only shoots about once a year with me and would not train enough to become proficient with a semi-auto. She's not against shooting;she just doesn't enjoy it as much as I do.

We went to the LGS and she fondled a J-frame, LCR 22, and LCR .38. She liked the LCR.38 way above the others. I was really surprised how much heavier the LCR 22 trigger was than the LCR .38.

Link Posted: 12/26/2012 3:36:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 3:58:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I sell a lot of both, particularly to women, and the consensus seems to be that the LCR has a better trigger. This is hard for me as I think they are ugly and I love S&W revolvers. But if she likes the LCR, get that. Feedback from customers is that the LCR is more pleasant to shoot as well.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 4:03:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I am a hardcore S&W guy and have carried a 642 for years but the LCR is a great gun. This is a win win choice. Why wouldn't you let her get the one she likes?

I wouldn't put much trust in the CT. When a person tries to get anything but a slow single shot off the whole idea of finding that jumping red dot goes all to hell in a hurry. This is of course my opinion but I have felt for a good while that the lazer sights on small guns are a gimich that don't work as well as they look like they should.

My club holds plate shoots in a range that has marginal lights (not dark but not real bright) and about every other shoot some new guy shows up with a new lazer thinking he is going to shine and by the end of the night they slink away and the lazer is never seen again. There is only one guy who uses one on a weekly basis, never really worked for anyone else.
If the thing doesn't work well enough to wack plates at a friendly competition I don't trust it for personal defence where the stress is going to be off the chart.

Get the CT if you want to try it out but my recomendation is that cash is better spent for practise ammo. Shoot the tiny revolvers a lot and in times of stress it will naturally point and hit as it should.With the extra recoil of the tiny revolvers I like most practise to be with light target loads and then finish up each practise with full power loads. I shoot lots of heavy revolver but carry my 642 with standard 38spl (non +P) loads because my hit % and split times are so much better with the lighter ammo. Standard ammo I can bang out 5 shots in good time and get good hits, with +P  ammo I tend to lose the sights and feel I need to re-grip after a couple of shots.

Your wife may find things different than I do but my point is a defence gun really needs to be shot a bit (well quite a bit actually) to work out the kinks and become an effective tool
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:54:47 AM EDT
[#12]
This seems so simple.

1) Find a range that rents the LCR and have her shoot it.  

2) If she likes the way it feels fill out a 4473 and buy an LCR.

If she doesn't like the way the LCR shoots, go find a place that rents the next contender on the list and repeat.

FWIW, I carry an LCR and love it.  It shoots POA/POI, the trigger is a LOT better than I expected, and it is insanely light.

I've shot several of the Smith snubbies and don't find them to be any better than the LCR for me.  

Your wife's mileage may vary.  It's her life she'll be defending, and possibly yours, let her choose without any interference.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have your wife make an appointment with a doc ASAP for a checkup...something is wrong with her spine because women almost always lean waaay back from the waist when they shoot a handgun

I say S&W if you must go the little revolver route, but I would find a Shield for her...

She has shot my Glock 23, and my S&W Shield (9MM). She prefers the simplicity of a revolver and has all kinds of trouble racking the slide with no stress. I can't imagine if she had to do it to clear a stoppage under stress.

FWIW, she only shoots about once a year with me and would not train enough to become proficient with a semi-auto. She's not against shooting;she just doesn't enjoy it as much as I do.

We went to the LGS and she fondled a J-frame, LCR 22, and LCR .38. She liked the LCR.38 way above the others. I was really surprised how much heavier the LCR 22 trigger was than the LCR .38.

It's my understanding the trigger pull on .22 revolvers comes from heavier springs needed to insure reliable ignition of the rimfire cartridge.

ETA:Where in OH are you?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:34:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's my understanding the trigger pull on .22 revolvers comes from heavier springs needed to insure reliable ignition of the rimfire cartridge.

ETA:Where in OH are you?

Greene Co.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a S&W 642 and a Ruger LCR, I prefer the LCR.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#16]
snip

Take your wife to Vandalia Range and Armory near the Dayton Airport. You can rent/shoot both an LCR and 642 and do a side by side comparison.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Yup, get her what she wants
Happy wife = happier life
Mike
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd go after the LCR.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#19]
My wife tried both and chose the LCR.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 1:52:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
snip

Take your wife to Vandalia Range and Armory near the Dayton Airport. You can rent/shoot both an LCR and 642 and do a side by side comparison.

We rented both when my wife was looking. She liked the LCR, then shot them both and liked the 642 better.
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 2:58:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

We rented both when my wife was looking. She liked the LCR, then shot them both and liked the 642 better.

That's pretty much what happened for me. I had an SP101 and was sure I'd go with the LCR, but bought a 442 instead.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:06:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Got the LCR. I have put about 150 rounds through it and she put about 50 through it. She loves it and actually shoots pretty well with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top