Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2006 1:52:44 PM EDT
Just like the title says 17L or a 34? The 17L is NIB. I did a little research and found out that it is a 2nd gen. from 1990. It has been sitting in my dealers safe since early 1991. The 34 is also NIB. As far as price goes the 34 is $20 more. I am just not sure which to get. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:26:55 PM EDT
[#1]
With the small difference in price I would go for the 17L, they don't make them anymore so you may not come across them again at a good price.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:39:24 PM EDT
[#2]
17L. Only 1,000 made
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
17L. Only 1,000 made

That was just the ones in the special run they did last year.

The G17L was produced from '88-'99. I don't know the exact number produced but it was not very many(just guessing by the serial numbers, 13K at the most).

Get the "L", if you don't let me know your dealers ph# as I would be interested.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:21:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I own twoG34's and one G17L. While I would never be without atleast one G34. I would advise buying the G17L if you have to chose between the two and if you will be shooting the gun at ranges and do not need a wide variety of holsters.

If you need or want a lot of holster choices better go for the G34.

Both shoot great.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:30:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
17L. Only 1,000 made

You're kidding, right?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
17L. Only 1,000 made

You're kidding, right?

Must be.    Maybe only 1000 made with this prefix is what he means?  

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:01:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the responses. I was on the fence but was leaning to the 17L . It's not like you see a NIB 17L very often. I called my dealer and told him I will take it. I will post some pics when I get it
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:06:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Good choice!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:48:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Some things to consider if you haven't bought it already.  I don't know if this is an issue with the newer 17L's or the 34's.  But I have an older G17L and because of the large whole milled out of the top of the slide, you will have problems putting anything other than stock front sights on it.  The front sight of any of the aftermarket sight makers is too long at the base and it hangs over into the milled hole.  It looks goofy as hell and I think it causes the front sight to come loose, even with loctite, because it lacks complete support.  I wound up getting a set of the Dave Sevigny sights and they are better than the ones I had on their before but they still hang over a bit.  I haven't  had a problem with these coming loose so far.

The other thing to consider, if you plan on doing competition shooting with it eventually.  There is or are a couple shooting venues, where your gun has to fit inside of a box to qualify.  The G17L's are too long to fit in the box, that is why they came out with the current longslides.  They are about an inch shorter so they will fit in the box.

This is what it looks like with that sight hanging over
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top