Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2005 9:30:42 PM EDT
I have narrowed my choices down to 3 pistols.  Browning or FN hi-power, Beretta Vertec, or an XD.  I do not want a glock, or a Sig.I already have a G23 and A Sig225.  I do not like the grip of my Glock and will probably trade it off.  My 225 is nice and feels excellent, but I want more magazine capacity.  I have Kimber TLE (my favorite gun) and do not want a 9mm in a 1911.  All of my choices seem to fit pretty good.  I did prefer the feel of the Hi-power and Vertec over the XD.  But the XD does have some nice features for the price. Help me choose one or lend me some other suggestions.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Just to start trouble.. Sell the glock and use the extra money to get a HK...
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:34:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just to start trouble.. Sell the glock and use the extra money to get a HK...

I like the HK but hate their triggers for some reason...
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you tried the LEM yet.. I always picked my Sigs over the HK till I got one with the LEM trigger now its my CCW of choice...
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:44:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Hi-Power and two XDs.  I'd get the XD for dead-on reliability and more available options such as sights, stick-on grips, etc.  Hi-Powers are nice, and can be made beautiful but for practicallity but I don't think it can be made as reliable as the XD because of it's older type operating system and I think I would get agreement on that from experts e.g. those that give defense handgun training.  I don't see Hi-Powers in USPSA competions, but do see XDs.  You would want to get the slide of the XD painted (Gunkote or other) for corrosion protection and the Heine straight eight sights are real nice for them (and likewise would be nice if you get the Hi-Power).  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:11:09 PM EDT
[#5]
BHP

i also like the XD, but i hate the way the finish wears off...

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Have you tried the LEM yet.. I always picked my Sigs over the HK till I got one with the LEM trigger now its my CCW of choice...

No I haven't.  I may need to try a HK2000 soon
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:42:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:59:40 PM EDT
[#8]
phear my BHP
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:09:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Which fits your hand the best?  Are you totally comfortaby with cocked and locked carry?  Can you reach the safety on the Beretta or its trigger in DA?  Do you have a stash of mags/holsters for either?  My choice would be either the BHP or Beretta since I'm totally comfortable with both and have proven themselves to me over time.  Personnel don't like the XD feel (don't like pastic frames).

CD
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:29:26 AM EDT
[#10]
JMO If you want some versitility get an XD40 have the slide gunkoted and get Canyon Creek to do a 4lbs carry trigger. Then get a 9mm and .357 sig barrel and you can switch calibers by dropping in a different barrel, 3 guns in one. I would also have a set of night sights installed.

I love mine and don't regret trading my G17 for it one bit.      

Ultimatly it's your choice and any of the pistols on your list are great.

Good luck, Dave
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:35:38 AM EDT
[#11]
My choice would be ;
1- 225
2- TLE
3- CZ 75 SA.
Sorry, I know it was not on your list but you are off to such a good start!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#12]
personally i like my ruger p95.  they are ugly but if you are thinking about the xd then the ruger p-series is not too ugly for you.  

also you may want to think about the cz75 if you are thinking of the hi-power.  they also make a number of fine pistols including the 85, 100, and rami.  the last is meant for concealed carry and the 75 comes in more than half a dozen varieties.

if you are willing to spend the extra money i would say sell the glock and buy an hk p7.  they don't make them anymore but there are a lot out there but generally run around $1500.  there are 2 versions--p7m8 and m13 with 8 and 13 round capacities.  its a very cool little pistol but gets wicked hot and thats the only downside.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:02:59 PM EDT
[#13]
hi power
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Have you ruled out the Beretta 92FS? If so, go with the High Power.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Not sure what to recommend.  But if you say you like the P225 except, you want more capacity,  why not a P228?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:16:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Hi-Power
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#18]
HK is my pick.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#19]
CZ-75 The trigger grows on you once you shoot it, and it really is a better gun than an HP.

Croats make a good gun but 2 years ago you could buy it for $200.  I do not like Berretta.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:26:20 PM EDT
[#20]
This one is easy...

HKP7M8

...trust me!

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:29:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Of those listed, the Hipower would be my pick, by far.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:09:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
CZ-75 The trigger grows on you once you shoot it, and it really is a better gun than an HP.

Croats make a good gun but 2 years ago you could buy it for $200.  I do not like Berretta.

Time to get picky-The CZ-75 is made in Republic of Czech not Croatia.  All my 9 CZ pistols were made in the former country of Czechoslovakia. (models 27,50s, 75s, 83 and 85)

CD
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:13:50 AM EDT
[#23]
a cz for sale at a bargain price too
I'd jump all over it but I just bought one
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:37:11 AM EDT
[#24]
I have an XD9 Service and recently got a FN HP from CDNN. Both are nice pistols but I would recommend you get the HP for a few reasons...

1, You have already said the HP fits your hands better which is very important.
2. You can buy both right now for ~$400 but the $400 HP is only because CDNN has brand new FN on clearance for that price. That is an awesome price that won't be around much longer. You can always get an XD later.
3. My XD is a good shooter but I'm much more accurate with an HP. That may or may not hold true for you?

Quoted:
I have a Hi-Power and two XDs.  I'd get the XD for dead-on reliability and more available options such as sights, stick-on grips, etc.  Hi-Powers are nice, and can be made beautiful but for practicallity but I don't think it can be made as reliable as the XD because of it's older type operating system and I think I would get agreement on that from experts e.g. those that give defense handgun training.  I don't see Hi-Powers in USPSA competions, but do see XDs.  You would want to get the slide of the XD painted (Gunkote or other) for corrosion protection and the Heine straight eight sights are real nice for them (and likewise would be nice if you get the Hi-Power).  

I'm not really sure where these comments are coming from? The HP (P-35) has been around in basically the same design for over 70 years and has been used by a number of militarys and LE agencies. It has more then proven its reliability over time and through hard use. I like my XD but I don't feel they have been around long enough to really say what their long reliability will be?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top