Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2006 7:07:00 AM EDT
In the next few months, I'm going to be in the market for my first 1911.
I'm looking at the Springfield MC Operator, and the Kimber Custom TLE / RLII
I know this is like bringing up the question, Bushmaster vs Colt, Miller Lite vs Bud light etc...
But is there any thing I should be looking at to sway me to or from either of these? For example, maybe Kimber has an inferior trigger, but maybe their warranty is better, things of this nature. I've read that the checkering on the Springfield is alot sharper than on the Kimber.
What should I know, and what would I be looking for. Thanks in advance!

Curt
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Both of those guns are nice, however, what are you planning on doing with the gun?  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I won't be carrying it CCW. That I know for sure. It's mostly going to be a 'fun' gun. Range, plinking, and a night stand gun. That's why I like the rail, is for the possiblity of a flashlight/laser/grenade launcher attachment/etc... on the rail.

I've always wanted a 1911, and I've always wanted a gun with a rail for 'accessories'. Some might think these 1911's are ugly with the rail, but I really like them.

So, it's mostly for fun and home defense (Since South Dakota is such a dangerous state)
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:22:38 AM EDT
[#4]
C O L T.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I won't be carrying it CCW. That I know for sure. It's mostly going to be a 'fun' gun. Range, plinking, and a night stand gun. That's why I like the rail, is for the possiblity of a flashlight/laser/grenade launcher attachment/etc... on the rail. h
So, it's mostly for fun and home defense (Since South Dakota is such a dangerous state) hr

1911's with rails (besides the ones you listed)...

www.stiguns.com/  go to the Duty One.  It is expensive but worth it.
www.paraord.com/product/category.html?cat=17

The SigSauer sight is down now, but the GSR is nice gun.  It shoots nice and has a good feel to it  I'm one of those that do not like light rails and have learned how to shoot with a flashlight in my hand.   I believe the Springfield Operator is made in Imbel Brazil,, My Springfield Loaded was manufactured there.  I think the Kimber is made in Yonkers N.Y.  I believe the Kimber has a higher lines per inch on the front strap, which gives it a smoother feel.  Personally, I would go with the Kimber.  But that is just me.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#6]
What are you willing to pay?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for your help so far guys.
I'm hoping to keep it under $1000. That's why the Kimber looks better so far. I like the looks of the Operator better, but I'm not sure if I can find it less than what I'm looking for. I found the Matte Kimber for just over $800 on the internet. $827 maybe?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:05:38 PM EDT
[#8]
External extractor Kimbers are best avoided.  Sames goes for series 2.

In your price range, 1st pick is the Warrior, or the MC Operator.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:20:11 PM EDT
[#9]
For under $1000 I think you'd be looking at the TLE/RL II from Kimber and the GSR from SIG as far as a 1911 with a rail goes. SIG just released a limited edition two tone GSR with a rail, it seems to be selling in $850 range, you'd probably need to get one sooner rather than later. Colt doesn't make a model with a rail so they are out. I'm not too familiar with the PO pricing but I think they will be a bit over your budgeted 1k? Same with the SA models that have a rail, but I think the SA MC Operator should be pretty close.

The Kimber TLE is a good pistol and has a lot of nice features for the price. I'm sure it would do everything you want and more.

If you decide to loose the requirement of a rail, you will open up a huge variety of models to choose from for that price point. Good luck on your hunt!

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#10]
   I recently bought a stainless Kimber TLE II with the external extractor. I bought it it just before the big fuss started about the internal, external issue started. Haven't been able to put but about 250 rounds through it so its not even broken in yet. It has had a couple of FTE's but not even really diagnosible this early. Probably ammo.  

IMHO. I would look into a Springfield Armory pistol. They have a lifetime warranty and they pick up the shipping from what I've heard. I kind of wish I would have went with a Springfield Loaded.

But I'll admit that my TLE II is one sexy beast.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:14:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for your help so far everyone. Especially Paradox800 and CountryBoy22, that is what I was hoping for answers to be like.

Any one else care to chime in?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I picked up a Warrior off of Gunbroker for $850

You Suck !
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:32:25 PM EDT
[#15]
+1 on a Warrior.  I love mine and the X200 is a great light.  I have less than $1000.00 in it and I bought it new.  The Surefire is another $200.00 so about $1100.00 total.  

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:24:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Guys,
Thank you so much for your help. These are the replies I was looking for. I asked on a few other forums, and didn't get much help. I'm still hoping to get one soon. I just found out I'm able to apply for an elk tag in New Mexico, so if I get drawn, the purchase may be put on hold a few months.

But if anyone else has any thoughts/experiances, please share them.
Thanks everyone so far!

Curt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top