Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/15/2012 5:20:09 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/15/2012 6:26:16 AM EST by America-first]
Since I shoot so many rounds every month I'm always on the lookout for some ammnition that might save me some bucks.

Two month ago I found a gun show vendor who had some .45 ACP Aguila in stock so I picked up 5 boxes to try it about before ordering a case and I was very impressed with it.

Accuracy was on the par with both 230 grain PMC Bronze and Speer Lawman and the stuff was very clean as well, so I ordered a case online and I ran through a few boxes last night.

The stuff was very inaccurate and inconsistent, with groupings 2 to 4 times larger than those I always achieve; the further the targets, the worse the performance ( shot indoors from 10 to 25 yards).

Naturally I thought I was simply having a bad night because I was getting poor results from 3 of my most accurate pistols; a P220 Super Match, 625-8 Performance Center Revolver, and an E Series 1911TA.

I also brought a few boxes of PMC Bronze with me for comparison and when I shot them through each of the guns, my accuracy returned to what I am accustomed to.

The bottom line; Aguila is cheap, clean, brass cased, ammo, and the stuff looks beautiful out of the box; but I have found it to be extremely inconsistent, ranging from highly accurate to the least accurate ammunition I have ever fired including Tula and similar garbage.

If you want to blast away at sillouettes with inexpensive, brass cased, non bi-metallic mild steel cored bullet, ammo then Aguila is for you.

But if you need any consistent precision out of your range ammo, 230 grain Aguila is probably not for you.

I don't expect match ammo accuracy out of inexpensive FMJ range ammnition; but contrary to my previous experience with this stuff, the Aguila I shot last night provided terrible accuracy in three excellent handguns.

I was really surprised; my first 5 boxes were excellent.

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 6:49:55 AM EST
That sucks to hear. I was just getting interested in this inexpensive brand as something cheaper than Blazer Brass and Aluminum. Looks like I'll be sticking to what I know works well... Although I have had good luck with Mag-Tech ammo in the past. I may have a go at them again too.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:20:57 AM EST
I had a similar experience with it as well, only I never had the preliminary good accuracy first.

Put two boxes through my now gone FNP 45 and thought I was loaded with .45" bird shot. Went back to a box of S&B I had in the range bag and had immediate improvement in group sizing.

Never bothered with the stuff from Mexico after that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 4:19:09 PM EST
I have used 2 of my 5 boxes with no issues. Fingers crossed.

Their 9mm has been ok
Link Posted: 9/19/2012 2:22:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2012 5:16:52 AM EST by America-first]
Originally Posted By Bikerdoc:
I have used 2 of my 5 boxes with no issues. Fingers crossed.

Their 9mm has been ok

My first 5 " test" boxes were actually excellent, clean and very accurate.

The case I just bought has been absolutely miserable in every one of my .45 ACP handguns including an E Series 1911TA, S&W 625-8 Performance Center Revolver, a SIG P220 Super Match and P220 Carry Equinox.

All outstandingly accurate guns, but none of them will shoot the last case of Aguila i bought worth a damn.

Link Posted: 9/19/2012 8:40:21 AM EST
Glad I read this because I was considering ordering some.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 4:39:34 PM EST
I shot another 150 rounds today through my P220 Carry Equinox, E Series 1911TA, and P 220 Super Match, and the Aguila was all over the place again; the accuracy was awful.

When I switched to 230 grain Speer Lawman FMJ; the accuracy returned to the guns.

The stuff looks terrific and shoots clean, but except for the first 5 boxes I bought at the gun show to test the ammo before making a larger purchase, the stuff has been real crap.

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 12:06:18 PM EST
Originally Posted By America-first:
I shot another 150 rounds today through my P220 Carry Equinox, E Series 1911TA, and P 220 Super Match, and the Aguila was all over the place again; the accuracy was awful.

When I switched to 230 grain Speer Lawman FMJ; the accuracy returned to the guns.

The stuff looks terrific and shoots clean, but except for the first 5 boxes I bought at the gun show to test the ammo before making a larger purchase, the stuff has been real crap.

Another member here blew up his G21 shooting Aguila today. Who knows if it was the ammo though.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 9:29:22 AM EST
I've fired aprox 7000 Aguila 9 mm rounds (mostly 124 gr but at least a thousand 115g as well) without a single failure of any kind. Every single round went downrange and I have not seen any accuracey difference between any of the "cheap" brands i've used.
At $9.75-$9.99 per 50 round box, I will never stop using it, nor will I pay more for other ammo that feels they can charge more for a "Name" (Winchester White Box was the weakest crap I ever shot and if you really pay attention, you will see pretty much every FTF & FTF mentions WWB in the same sentence).
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:11:16 AM EST
My glocks and sigs run like a raped ape with the stuff, I love it

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 6:24:17 AM EST
I hope you just got a bad batch, I got a case of it and my CZ 75,and Taurus 1911 9mm love it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 4:47:02 PM EST
Those of you who have been getting good accuracy from Aguila, are you shooting the 230 grain FMJ .45 ACP?

I shot a few hundred rounds more from that same case since my last post, and once again, although the stuff shot fairly clean and looked absolutely beautiful, the accuracy was crap in my P220 Super Match, E Series 1911TA, and 625-8 Performance Center Revolver.

Shot some PMC Bronze and the accuracy problem disappeared.

Link Posted: 10/2/2012 6:00:44 AM EST
Originally Posted By America-first:
Those of you who have been getting good accuracy from Aguila, are you shooting the 230 grain FMJ .45 ACp

Yes, in my full size AtI, I used the aguila 230, PMC, and PPU. PPU performed the best but the Aguila wasnt far behind. Granted I only have 2 boxes of Aguila down the pipe. but I will use the rest and pay more attention.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 2:14:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2012 2:15:21 PM EST by RabidMonkeyPox]
I found some Aquila .45 bullets I shot that did not have any rifling marks on them at all. They just tumbled down the barrel and went wherever. That was after a day of shooting 500 rounds of the stuff and could not hit paper or even a gallon water jug at 15 yards.

The most inaccurate ammo I have ever shot. Do not buy.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 3:53:49 PM EST
Originally Posted By RabidMonkeyPox:
I found some Aquila .45 bullets I shot that did not have any rifling marks on them at all. They just tumbled down the barrel and went wherever. That was after a day of shooting 500 rounds of the stuff and could not hit paper or even a gallon water jug at 15 yards.

LOL wut?

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:42:38 AM EST

I was guessing that the problem might be inconsistent bullet diameter because although I don't have a chrony; the loading appears to have consistent velocity/ recoil.

The first 5 boxes I bought to try the stuff out were excellent in accuracy, the gross inaccuracy I experienced with the full case I bought has to come from somewhere; I guess the bullets aren't consistent.

It's a shame; the ammo looks beautiful and shoots clean but I'll never buy any of it again; it's been absolutely worthless so far as its accuracy goes.

If you get a bad case now and then; or a good case now and then; it becomes more expensive than ammo of known quality from other manufacturers which defeats the purpose of buying it.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 2:27:53 PM EST
I have a case of Aguila 9mm on the way. Anyone have experience with their 9mm?
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 9:52:27 AM EST
Originally Posted By BlitzPig:
I had a similar experience with it as well, only I never had the preliminary good accuracy first.

Put two boxes through my now gone FNP 45 and thought I was loaded with .45" bird shot. Went back to a box of S&B I had in the range bag and had immediate improvement in group sizing.

Never bothered with the stuff from Mexico after that.

I just got back from the range today after having one of those days when you can't believe how well you are shooting.

Only brought two guns today; my P220 Super Match and E Series 1911TA andi just couldn't do any wrong shooting from 10, 15, and 20 yards rapid fire, I was grouping < 2" - 2 1/2 " center to center on five inch Orange Peel targets depending on the distance.

After putting 100 rounds of 230 grain PMC Bronze and Lawman through each pistol; I shot another 50 rounds of the 230 grain FMJ Aguila through each of the guns, and shooting slow, carefully aimed, fire, I had trouble keeping them inside an 8" orange peel at 15 yards and not all went in.

At 10 yards I could almost, but not quite, keep them all inside a 5" Orange Peel.

The only good news is that I'm almost done shooting the case I bought and I'm not going to waste any more range time with whats left of it.

Not a single malfunction of an kind; but IMO 230 grain Aguila FMJ is worthless crap.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 1:53:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/10/2012 2:11:05 PM EST by RabidMonkeyPox]
Originally Posted By bgenlvtex:

LOL wut?

zero barrel grooves on multiple recovered bullets. Improperly sized bullets, too small to catch the barrel grooves, bounced down the barrel like a spit ball. Thus they tumbled down the barrel. Tumbled does not always have to mean end over end. So please keep the technical side technical.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:03:45 AM EST
Originally Posted By rfm05:

Shot about 200 rounds of this stuff a couple weeks ago. All went boom. Can't talk about how tight they group since I was at a zombie shoot.
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 3:10:00 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/13/2012 3:10:34 AM EST by America-first]

LOL wut?

zero barrel grooves on multiple recovered bullets. Improperly sized bullets, too small to catch the barrel grooves, bounced down the barrel like a spit ball. Thus they tumbled down the barrel. Tumbled does not always have to mean end over end. So please keep the technical side technical.

After shooting 800 rounds out of the case and experiencing the absolutely miserable, totally unacceptable accuracy provided by the 230 grain FMJ Aguila in four excellent and very different handguns, I've come to believe that you have identified the problem.

The "patterns"; I wouldn't call them groupings, were all over the place....high, low, to the left, to the right, it appears to me that the bullets weren't properly stabilized by the rifling in the bore.

Worthless crap; if you are an experienced shooter you will be wasting your time and money shooting it and if you are inexperienced, you will simply be using your range time to pick up improper shooting habits while trying unsuccessfuly to get some sort of hits on your target.

Junk.
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 5:08:08 AM EST

LOL wut?

I'm all for technical.

What do they measure?

Link Posted: 10/16/2012 3:42:53 AM EST
Originally Posted By TheMercenary:
My glocks and sigs run like a raped ape with the stuff, I love it

Congratulations.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 1:44:54 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 2:45:24 PM EST

I can see this happening. If I can get hundreds of bullets out of spec lord knows what else is coming out of that factory in mexico.

I am personally avoiding this ammo from now on. I would rather spend the couple extra $ on remington or winchester.
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 9:22:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/23/2012 10:50:28 AM EST by AustinWolv]
Originally Posted By rfm05:

Over 2000 rounds of the 124gr 9mm out of a HK P30L. I can recall one round that didn't go boom but had a hit on the primer. Accuracy has been just fine when I've done my part. Not that I'm a pistol expert, but I tested a number of different brands last weekend at 25 yards on NRA bull targets offhand........Aguila 124gr was no worse than more expensive stuff.
When I do my part, it hits where the sights dictate it should on steel at 25+ yards: 3gun stage

I have a considerable amount of the 230gr .45ACP as well, but honestly haven't run very much of it and haven't noticed weird results out of a HK45C with it, so no comment unfortunately in regards to the original author's observations.

Decent amount of rounds with satisfied results here:
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 7:00:37 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2012 7:03:46 AM EST by America-first]
Well; I took one of the remaining boxes of 230 Aguila FMJ to the range yesterday and fired a full six round cylinder through my exceptionally accurate Performance Center 625-8 at a 5" orange peel target at 10 yards and could not obtain even one single hit anywhere on the target.

Both my wife and I were astounded that I couldn't even get a single hit anywhere on the target at 10 yards with the Aguila.

The next cylinder which was full of Lawman 230 grain FMJ blew out the center of the bull at 15 yards and the next cylinder after that, loaded with steel jacketed bi metal bullet Tula, which I don't like to shoot, also served up acceptable results.

It's certainly possible that I got a bad case of 230 grain Aguila FMJ, but it's abolutely certain that it will be my last case of that cheap crap.

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 12:55:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/9/2012 12:56:11 PM EST by Fullpower]
Aguila. Doing jobs that Americans won't
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:53:06 PM EST
On the bright side! Hope the drug cartels are using it as well. That’s why the murder rate is getting lower in Mexico. The victims won’t stand still and the bullets wobel down the barrels. They shoot at each other all day with no hits.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 7:23:28 PM EST
Pull bullets, gage all projectiles for size, re-assemble ammo in Dillon equipment with new powder.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:42:22 PM EST
I've shot 1000's of rounds of Aguila 9MM without a single issue.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:56:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/20/2012 4:56:45 PM EST by America-first]
Originally Posted By Dana1972:
I've shot 1000's of rounds of Aguila 9MM without a single issue.

This particular thread is about the lack of consistency and accuracy of the Aguila .45 ACP 230 grain FMJ loading; not 9mm.

This other thread is about Aguila .45 ACP 230 grain FMJ that apparently blew up a guy's pistol and caused injury.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/129809_UPDATE___NEW_PICS_glock_21c_goes_BOOM_.html

Top Top