Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2005 6:48:49 PM EDT
I have a Springfield XD .40 and a G27.  I have been looking at these under the shirt belly holsters from Sportsman's Guide.  They look like they would be fairly comfortable and very good priced?  If not one of these any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  I am fairly new to the concealed carry thing.  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:13:26 PM EDT
[#1]
If you intend to be serious about carrying concealed it is not un common to purchase a few different carry rigs before you settle on one that works best for you. My suggestion is to start off with a less expensive rig like an Uncle Mikes IWB ( inside the waistband ) for your G27 which will only set you back about $15.00.

Carry your piece for a while and develop an opinion / preference based on your lifestyle, build, clothing etc. I would highly recommend starting off carrying with your clip fully loaded WITHOUT a round in the chamber at first.

Many people on this forum will tell you they have bought several different carry rigs before finding the one that works best for them. I have purchased about four before settling with an outside the waistband setup from Lou Allessi.

I have a G27 which is my primary carry gun. My cheap Uncle Mikes IWB set up still serves me when in the summer on ocassion when wearing shorts and a t shirt. The gun rides just to the right of my front centerline. I am of average build. I prefer the comfort of an outside the waist holster for everyday all day long carry.

Without getting into exotic skins most popular high quality holsters will set you back about $100 bucks. Good luck and welcome to the forums. This is a great place for information.

Gunzer
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah this forum looks like a great site for well just about anything.  I am a big gun fan but do not come close to the knowledge that alot of these people have.  I look forward to getting to know some of you people on here thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:19:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I've used one before I didn't like it. It moves around too much and is nowhere near as useful as a belt holster. I like the OWB strong or weak side and since I wear t-shirts most of the time I'm not in uniform they work the best for me. I also like small pistols in front pocket holsters. I like most of what Uncle Mike's sells and the prices are cheap. I have just about every size of their Super Belt Slide model and they work very well for concealed carry. I also like Desantis and Galco leather since they are well made and reasonably priced. I have no use for anything kydex or plastic.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I have used one for about 20 years.  You have to get one that is a size or two smaller than you think you need, or it will move around.  It should be fairly tight, and will stretch a bit to a normal fit.  They are NOT for a big or heavy gun.  A snubbie revolver or compact Glock works best.  I use the one that looks like a big ace bandage.  Some of the ones that aren't stretchy are just crap.

The one I currently use is a DeSantis Gun Hide.  Wifey bought it for Christmas, and I had to shorten it quite a bit (she bought it too big).

With my uniform of the day, baggy t-shirt, surf shorts, nobody ever knows I am carrying.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:53:28 AM EDT
[#5]
They feel like a girdle , they make you sweat
and if you have a few extra inches around
your waist it causes a weird looking ring of
fat bulge where it shouldn't be
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:49:41 AM EDT
[#6]
yes, my prefered method
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:41:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I just bought my girlfriend one of these www.smartcarry.com/ for her 642 and she really likes it.  Not real expensive either.   I placed my order over the phone and whoever it was I talked to was real nice and helped out.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you for the replies.  The one from smart carry looks sorta dangerous if you know what I mean.  Wildearp where can you get the Desantis?  Any other post are welcome.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thank you for the replies.  The one from smart carry looks sorta dangerous if you know what I mean.  Wildearp where can you get the Desantis?  Any other post are welcome.  

Dillon Precision Link

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:41:47 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks for the pic.  This one looks like it would work well with both my G27 or the XD 4 in.  It also looks like you could undo and redo quite easily.  During the fall and winter months I am on the road quite a bit (300 miles one way).  Somethimes you may want to undo it for those circumstances.  Wildearp do you wear it partially in the pants or above the waistline?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:57:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I carry a Glock 21 in a Galco belly band, and have had no discomfort at all. It works great for me, and I have yet to find a pistol that I couldn't carry comfortably with it. YMMV
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:06:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Make sure you get one a little too big.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top