Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2005 4:39:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#1]
They shoot very soft, however they are very heavy.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:39:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I shot it, but it was a friend, and we had some pretty stout handloads.  The earplugs I was using were not in properly, and needless to say, it rung by bell.

I want one for myself
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:45:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I haven't fired a four incher but I have fired a six inch one. Factory ammo was quite tame, max handloads were a serious ass kicker. I think it was something like a 500gr bullet @ 1600 fps for close to 2900 FtLbs of power.
Yup, it'll put hair on your chest.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I shoot 440 gr. outta mine and there is some REAL SERIOUS recoil their, but nothing that you couldnt live with. What's truely impressive is the shock wave you feel and of coarse the fire breathing dragon it becomes
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Shot the 4" with the 400gr Magtech ammo. STOUT recoil!
Shot it twice and that was enough for me.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:34:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Stout.  Thank goodness for the (admittedly small) compensator there.  Now, is anyone gonna go for the Taurus .500SW with the 2-1/4" barrel they are supposed to come out with????  YIKES!!

Woody
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#7]
WOW....impressive to be sure
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the 500 4",  it's recoil is NOT mild by any means.  If your shooting hot Hornady 350's or Winchester 400's the recoil will punish your palm and wrist.  Shooting 300/325's are ok, but I don't think you'd want to shoot more than 20 rds at a time.   I've only shot it about 15 times because I just bought it.  I was really looking for the 460 in the 3.5 " barrel but couldn't find it.  If anyone has one (460 in 3.5")and is looking for a 500 4" , I'd be willing to trade.  I've got the full sized 460 and have taken 4 axis deer and 5 whitetails this year with the farthest being 158 yds.  I have a Burris 3X7 posi-lock scope on it.... man I love that cannon.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:39:19 PM EDT
[#9]
WOW! 4 deer and 5 whitetail in six days!    

Sorry man, just had to do it
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:37:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Where'd you get 6 days from? I bought my 8" 460 in October.  I just bought my 500....  Brilliant deduction? Where did you learn to read between the lines at????h
If anyone is hunting with the 460, if you like meat, shoot them in the head if you can, or use the 454's.  The 460s will blow everything up.  Two of the Axis does I shot (about 3" behind shoulder) blew up both shoulders, bloodied ribs down to hind quarters.  Those were at 65yds, with Hornady 200 SSTs.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have the 500 4",  it's recoil is NOT mild by any means.  If your shooting hot Hornady 350's or Winchester 400's the recoil will punish your palm and wrist.  Shooting 300/325's are ok, but I don't think you'd want to shoot more than 20 rds at a time.   I've only shot it about 15 times because I just bought it.  I was really looking for the 460 in the 3.5 " barrel but couldn't find it.  If anyone has one (460 in 3.5")and is looking for a 500 4" , I'd be willing to trade.  I've got the full sized 460 and have taken 4 axis deer and 5 whitetails this year with the farthest being 158 yds.  I have a Burris 3X7 posi-lock scope on it.... man I love that cannon.

There had only been 6 days this year at the time you posted .....its 2006
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

There had only been 6 days this year at the time you posted .....its 2006

Ouch.  That's gonna leave a mark  

Woody
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:33:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:36:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I've shot the 4" but not the others.  I was liking it a lot but don't think I would like the 8".  I'm assuming the 4" recoils less than the 8" because there is less barrel to generated the higher gas pressures from the powder, despite the increased weight.  I've noticed that effect with some calibers like a .44mag I have in 2-1/2". Some brakes also work better with higher pressures.  Anyone done a comparison?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:29:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Oh I see.... I must have still been hung over from the new year.........  let me rephrase the statement from this year to:  The 2005-2006 hunting season, beginning on 2 Nov to 1 Jan.....   man now I feel muchO' better.   h.gif
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I've shot the 4" but not the others.  I was liking it a lot but don't think I would like the 8".  I'm assuming the 4" recoils less than the 8" because there is less barrel to generated the higher gas pressures from the powder, despite the increased weight.  I've noticed that effect with some calibers like a .44mag I have in 2-1/2". Some brakes also work better with higher pressures.  Anyone done a comparison?

Actually the 4'' model generates more felt recoil than the longer barreled models because there is more muzzel flip due to less whieght up front. The longer barrels tame quite a bit of the recoil.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually the 4'' model generates more felt recoil than the longer barreled models because there is more muzzel flip due to less whieght up front. The longer barrels tame quite a bit of the recoil.

I have not found that to always be true.  As I said with some like my 2-1/2" .44mag, it generates less recoil than my longer barreled .44's despite having the weight from the longer barrel.  Muzzle flip is not felt recoil.  Compensators do not reduce recoil, they reduce muzzle flip.  Muzzle brakes can reduce felt recoil.

If you want a really good example, try a revolver in 45-70.  It's not bad to shoot because it doesn't have enough barrel to generate the higher pressures a longer rifle barrel will, the cartridge is simply not normally loaded for such a short barrel.

This is why I have to ask if anyone has shot the 4" vs the 8" in .500, I need to know if this cartridge exhibits that same effect as some (but not all) cartridges.  It's very dependent upon the load propellant.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:56:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have not found that to always be true.  As I said with some like my 2-1/2" .44mag, it generates less recoil than my longer barreled .44's despite having the weight from the longer barrel.  Muzzle flip is not felt recoil.  Compensators do not reduce recoil, they reduce muzzle flip.  Muzzle brakes can reduce felt recoil.

If you want a really good example, try a revolver in 45-70.  It's not bad to shoot because it doesn't have enough barrel to generate the higher pressures a longer rifle barrel will, the cartridge is simply not normally loaded for such a short barrel.

This is why I have to ask if anyone has shot the 4" vs the 8" in .500, I need to know if this cartridge exhibits that same effect as some (but not all) cartridges.  It's very dependent upon the load propellant.

I Have shot both 4'' and 8'' models in 400 and 440 grain and both exibited less recoil in the longer barrel.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks AZ, that's exactly what I was asking for since I haven't tried it.  Like I said, the effect does not apply to all handguns/loads.  I'm curious as to what the 2-1/2 will feel like.  Again, I'm not concerned about muzzle flipbut instead about felt recoil.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:02:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I fired a friends  4 incher with full power reloads and even have a video of me doing it.  It is a whole afternoon of shooting in 4 shots!

It is pretty nasty with full power loads and anyone standing to the side is going to feel it big time.

I am not interested in having one as my full power 44 loads do everything I need plus some.  Dropped a deer this year like a sack of potatoes.

patsue
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Mine's up for sale... I want the 3.5 inch .460.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:03:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I fired a friends  4 incher with full power reloads and even have a video of me doing it.  It is a whole afternoon of shooting in 4 shots!

It is pretty nasty with full power loads and anyone standing to the side is going to feel it big time.

I am not interested in having one as my full power 44 loads do everything I need plus some.  Dropped a deer this year like a sack of potatoes.

patsue

Can you post the video?

Is it really that bad that you only want to shoot a handful of rounds through it? I want one!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#23]
In all honesty I was expecting a little more recoil when I shot a friend of mines with the 350Hornady and 275magtechs.  Accurate little gun though, would love to take it out to 100 yards to shoot.  His was also much quieter than I expected.

However, my G19 felt like a BB gun after shooting it
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Shot a few more rounds (5) out of her today.... if you don't hold too tight of a grip, the recoil doesn't feel as bad. Just don't hold too loose.... you might just end up with a new tatoo..... of the front sight... on your noggin'
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#25]
It's not that bad, the muzzle flash just gets me...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:01:36 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

patsue

Can you post the video?

Is it really that bad that you only want to shoot a handful of rounds through it? I want one!

Here is a pic from the video.  I don't know how to host the video.  The muzzle flash was actually worse then the pic.  Folks who watched it said it looked like my whole arm was engulfed in flame.

patsue
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top