Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/23/2005 7:47:08 AM EDT
I read that converting a 40 caliber Hi Power to 9mm will dramatically increase its service life. Has anyone tried this? Is it financially feasible?
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 1:53:57 AM EDT
I may be wrong, and if so, others will chime in. Here goes:

The 40 cal HP is very understressed when converted to 9mm. This is because the 40's components are designed to handle larger forces than the 9's.

Link Posted: 7/24/2005 4:06:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By reinhardt:
I read that converting a 40 caliber Hi Power to 9mm will dramatically increase its service life. Has anyone tried this? Is it financially feasible?

My understanding is that the case heads on the two rounds are different, so changing to a 357 SIG (a "necked" down 40 case using a 9mm bullet) is as simple as a barrel change and you can use the 40 mags.

Changing to 9mm would certainly require changes to/replacement of the slide. I've read a lot about this, but have yet to see anything on an actual example.

Link Posted: 7/24/2005 1:54:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 6:10:46 PM EDT
You make an excellent point Ikor. I'm not even competing that much right now. It's not like I have to hold off the 5th Dismounted Hell's Angels or some zombie horde. Since I first posted this I've read some articles that the MK3 Hi Powers hold up well. Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 4:50:11 AM EDT
Bar-Sto has a 9mm barrel they claim is a drop in (unless I'm misssing some fine print elsewhere on the site). That implies to me that it fits the .40 slide (logically, a bull barrel). Of course, there are other issues. I would guess that a properly designed barrel would hold the 9mm case aligned over the firing pin. I'd say the extractor and ejector would/might be the problems. Anyone tried a Bar-sto?

Also, Bar-st says on their site that .357 SIG conversion barrels are not available for the HP. Anyone know why? Just that they don't make them (the, who does?), or is there some greater operational problem. I can't see why there should be as the case is the same, only the chamber/barrel need to be different.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 9:26:49 AM EDT
I just got a response from Cylinder and Slide about converting the 40 to 9. They can do it, but it is expensive. It was a stupid idea on my part anyway. I'll just buy an extra in 9mm. It's actually cheaper than the conversion.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 12:15:32 PM EDT
I have read that the Bar-Sto works quite well for what it is, but there are still some reliability issues centering around the extractor/ejector. The main bennie to doing the mod is that it allows you to shoot +P and +P+ ammo. The added slide mass and barrel locking lug in the .40 make this possible.
The reason the .357 isn't available is because it is just too hot for the gun. While they are fantastic for standard 9mm ammo, they are an inherently weak design for anything more powerful, hence the major changes in the .40.
Personally, I'm still considering the conversion, but if I do it, I intend to add metal to the breach face to make it a true 9mm spec and then fit one of the conversion barrels to that. If I do it, it'll obviously be a labor of love so to speak as all of the time and expense necessary would really make it impractical. I've also considered a 10mm SiG220 conversion along these same lines, but as of now it's all in the "pipe dream" stage. If it does go farther than that, I'll be sure to post it here first, though. --ST
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:18:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rjroberts:

Also, Bar-st says on their site that .357 SIG conversion barrels are not available for the HP. Anyone know why?

Supply & demand would be my guess.

Other brands to check might be Nowlin, Kart or Wilson, if any of them make a HP barrel?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:01:55 PM EDT
I have a Bar-Sto 9mm barrel that I received from Midway. Mine is the semi-fitted which means it could be a drop in, but it isn't in my former Buenos Ares PD Hi Power. It will take some fitting and I haven't even attempted it yet. Considering they both came from the same designer, it's not a 1911.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:08:31 PM EDT
Sprinco makes a spring system designed for shooting +Ps in Hi powers. It's about 70.00 IIRC I had considered the .40 to 9mm route, but decided that if I wanted more bang I'd just use my Glock 20. I limit my Hi Power to 124 grain, shooting mostly Winchester white box.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:34:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BobCole:

Originally Posted By rjroberts:

Also, Bar-st says on their site that .357 SIG conversion barrels are not available for the HP. Anyone know why?

Supply & demand would be my guess.

Other brands to check might be Nowlin, Kart or Wilson, if any of them make a HP barrel?

Thanks, I'll look into that. I have a .357 sig barrel for my Kel-Tec .40, so it would be handy to have one for my Hi-power .40. And, I'm sure I'll be able to shoot my Hi-Power more than the Kel-tec will stand.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:15:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ikor:
Probably not. The .40 slide is beefier than that of the 9mm and it might, indeed take more shooting, but my guess is that...like every .40 to 9mm conversion I have seen so far...it will be unreliable if you just stick a 9mm barrel into the .40 slide. If you use a 9mm slide...quite apart from the issue of making it run correctly...you have gained nothing.

You guys are worrying too much. It takes an ASSLOAD of shooting to severely loosten up the P35 if you use the 18 1/2lb. recoil spring and the standard 32lb. hammer spring. If it bothers you that much, just buy a second FN P35 right now while they are cheap and set it aside. My guess is...unless you own your own ammo company...two will suffice for most shooters!

I am inclined to take ikor's advice on this one.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:12:54 PM EDT
A somewhat similar question is often asked in the 1911 forums: Can I convert a .45 1911 into a 10mm?

Here's the answer: You'd need a whole new top end.

The breechface of the slide is milled out to accept the .40 case diameter. In order to go to 9mm, you would need to add material, something that's a little squirrely, especially when we're talking about something that supports the case.

Stephen Camp has a detailed description of the differences between the .40 and the 9mm BHPs. link

Since the frames for both calibers are the same (though the ejectors might be different, and the slide stop is definitely different), there's very little gained taking a .40 and converting it into a 9mm. As previously mentioned, you might even be better off just buying a second 9mm HP and stash it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:36:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ikor:
Probably not. The .40 slide is beefier than that of the 9mm and it might, indeed take more shooting, but my guess is that...like every .40 to 9mm conversion I have seen so far...it will be unreliable if you just stick a 9mm barrel into the .40 slide. If you use a 9mm slide...quite apart from the issue of making it run correctly...you have gained nothing.

You guys are worrying too much. It takes an ASSLOAD of shooting to severely loosten up the P35 if you use the 18 1/2lb. recoil spring and the standard 32lb. hammer spring. If it bothers you that much, just buy a second FN P35 right now while they are cheap and set it aside. My guess is...unless you own your own ammo company...two will suffice for most shooters!

That's useful advice about the spring. Thanks. Still better limit or avoid the +p, I'd guess?
Top Top