Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/22/2005 2:09:12 PM EDT
I am looking at purchasing two 9mm handguns. I am not looking for anything fancy and intend to use them for home defense (I already have shotguns) and occasional concealed carry. I have a price cap on them of $450.00 each, including transfer fees-which would be $65.00 (for both) if they were done at the same time, this would leave $100.00 for magazines and spare parts.

I am looking at 3 models right now:
1. Glock 17 - I can get a LE trade from CDNN for about $350.00 + transfer or locally for $450.00.
2. Smith and Wesson Model 5900 - I can get a factory sample from CDNN for $370.00 + transfer.
3. Browning (FN) Hi-Power – Various models in CDNN from $280.00 (Double action - looks to be from a mil order) to $400.00 (Single action commercial).

From research I came up with opinions below, can any owners of these guns give me any additional info/opinions on them:

- I am not a big fan of Glocks but they seem to be the standard for LE. Seem to get fairly high marks in reliability and quality. Hate how they look and feel though.

- The S &W Model 5900 - I have handled one and it fits my hand nice. Also has magazine compatibility with a carbine I am looking to buy. They do not seem like they are made anymore-might have future parts issues.

- Browning Hi-Power, I like the classic design, however I cannot really find a lot of information on them but they seem to have been used as sidearms by many militaries in the 50’s through the 70’s and are reliable. Haven’t been able to handle one in person but they look like they would fit my hand like the S&W.

CDNN has double action, single-double or single action Hi-Powers, other than the heavier trigger pull (DA) what real difference would there be between these guns. Also the DAs they have appear to be from a military contract since they have a lanyard loop, has anyone bought one or have any idea or the quality or condition of these pieces?

Also what does factory sample mean from CDNN, was this a display gun or something that was shot?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:11:06 PM EDT
Get the SA HP from CDNN. IMHO you will not find better ergonomics (outside a 1911) than the BHP.

Rich
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:16:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2005 3:17:44 PM EDT by thedr13]
I would get the Browning HP for sure! I've owned three different models of HP and two different clones. If you can find it, get a Begium HP. FN's are good....Belgium's are the best.

Another handgun you might consider is a CZ 75B. They are great handguns also. For CCW, you might want the CZ PO1. Check them out!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:20:08 PM EDT
I got to agree. From the choices listed I would say go with the Glock as it is the easiest to operate. Since you said you don't like the way it feels I would highly recomend the single action high power. It has a good easy to manage trigger. The ergonimocs are almost perfect for most people. As for the Smith it may have a magazine disconect saftey and in my book that is a big NO NO. As you mentioned parts may be a problem.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:23:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:24:21 PM EDT
Glock
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:28:12 PM EDT
If you're no fan of Glocks, I would have to endorse the SA Hi Power, also. Save some money to put night sights on it, and you should be fine.

If you can stand the Glock, a model 19 would be even better.

I have no experience with the S&W, so can't comment on that.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:57:57 PM EDT
I very much like the Glock 9 MM guns. I have the 19
I once owned one of the S&W double stack double action stainless wondernines. This was 15 years or so ago and I don't recall the model # but I do recall it had the single most unuseable trigger on any gun I have handeled . If it is a S&W it better have a cylinder on it or I don't want to know about it .
I have no first hand knowledge of the high power.
If you are buying two 9's consider one G17 and one G19 .
Sounds like you are paying top dollar (or better ) for a transfer fee. Shop around ,you might do better. Be sure and tell them it is for two guns at the same time, in some areas that will save a bunch.
You might look around and instead of doing the CDDN deal find a local used gun and avoid the transfer fee altogether. I am talking a gun store selling a used gun type of deal . Many gunstores will have a function guarentee or some way you can test fire the gun . I don't generally do private sales unless I know and trust the person. (I have done a bunch of deals within my gunclub,I swear some guys buy and sell more guns than they shoot! )
Another way to go is look at the ruger pistols new at a local gunstore . Some dislike them and think they feel wrong but they are solid and a great value and you always have the new gun warantee going for them
Don't lock yourself into the deal with CDDN untill you look around at all the local stores .
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:38:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By p712k:
I am looking at 3 models right now:
1. Glock 17 - I can get a LE trade from CDNN for about $350.00 + transfer or locally for $450.00.
2. Smith and Wesson Model 5900 - I can get a factory sample from CDNN for $370.00 + transfer.
3. Browning (FN) Hi-Power – Various models in CDNN from $280.00 (Double action - looks to be from a mil order) to $400.00 (Single action commercial).

From research I came up with opinions below, can any owners of these guns give me any additional info/opinions on them:

- I am not a big fan of Glocks but they seem to be the standard for LE. Seem to get fairly high marks in reliability and quality. Hate how they look and feel though.

- The S &W Model 5900 - I have handled one and it fits my hand nice. Also has magazine compatibility with a carbine I am looking to buy. They do not seem like they are made anymore-might have future parts issues.

- Browning Hi-Power, I like the classic design, however I cannot really find a lot of information on them but they seem to have been used as sidearms by many militaries in the 50’s through the 70’s and are reliable. Haven’t been able to handle one in person but they look like they would fit my hand like the S&W.

You answered your own question! Having a handgun and rifle/carbine with the same mags is a very good thing! I have several S&W and they are the best pointing handguns you can buy and are 100% reliable. My next handgun with be a 59xx series pistol...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:48:35 PM EDT
You might look at Jerico/Magnum Research Baby Eagle Pistols. They tend to get high praise.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:23:21 PM EDT
I would go with the Glock.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:17:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2005 11:17:52 PM EDT by ALPHAGHOST]
i would get either:

2 glocks--1 G19/G17 or 2 G19s--all will use similar mags, so you can have twice the mags for the same guns

or

1 G19, and the BHP

or

1 G19 and a SIG P-226/P-228

(all from CDNN as they have the best looking prices for used HGs)

i hate how glocks looks too; the hump on the backstrap dont help either, but they are cheap, reliable, durable, and simple

i would not consider the SW--thier autos (except for thier 1911s or certain models) are just not up to par w/ the other brands like SIG, 1911s' makers, glock, etc imo when it comes to the triggers, controls, and the'feel', but if you feel comfortable w/ it, get it

what carbine are you looking to buy? kel-tec?

BHPs are nice imo, an old design, but its one of the best 9mm frames that i know about (a LOT better than SWs' imo)

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:35:14 PM EDT
Glock 17.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:00:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 12:03:21 AM EDT by NeedMoreAmmo]
BHP (SA)

But let me be the first to say....

Get all 3!!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:02:55 AM EDT
Glock is my vote but its a pistol that has to grow on ya, you'll love or hate it. my G23 I've had for almost 3 months now and im just starting to not be able to put it down, at first I hated it and wanted to take it back. but like a stray animal given enough time it will be your pet. buy the Glock and welcome to the dark side
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:16:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 3:18:34 AM EDT by twonami]
Glocks are one of the easiest pistols to field strip and completely disassemble so repairs are easy.
I completely took apart both my Glocks this morning and I'm still amazed as to how easy they are to repair
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:19:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:27:56 PM EDT
CZ75B
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:52:17 PM EDT
Sounds to me like you want a HiPower. But I too was a Glock hater, but since then converted myself. My favorite 9 is my Glock 19. I do have HiPowers too

Hell get all 3.

Max
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:28:52 PM EDT
Ok, thanks for all the input guys. I am leaning to the hi-power right now but just want find one locally to handle.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:24:10 PM EDT
The High Power feels really good in the hand with the proper grips. The factory panels that come on so many High Powers don't do it any favors. Get yourself a set of contoured Navidrex, Spegel or Hogue grips and the HP begins to shine.

I don't care for the thumb safety -- it's tough to manipulate when you're used to the wide paddle of custom 1911's.

The High Power's trigger is rather unfortunate too. They tend to have a long reset and the mag safety usually adds about three or four pounds to the pull.

Other than these points, I like the High Power quite a bit.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:53:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:32:09 PM EDT
Glock------19 would be great to start with if you occasionally carry. I think glock sights need upgrading immediately but after that it is up to you. I gave a G23 away years ago and figured I'd never own another, but after seeing so many competing with them I gave one a try. I picked up a 36 to shoot in a different division and it's growing on me. 17 or 19 with sights, holster and mags would be my pick. Put several thousand through it before you buy the second.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:27:39 PM EDT
Having owned two of the three guns you mention, and seeing that you are purchasing two 9mm guns, I would get one Glock and one Hi-Power. Each gun has its positives and negatives. I agree totally with ken_mays assessment that the Hi-Power trigger is unfortunate. If the Glock trigger is DAO with single action reset, the BHP trigger is single action with DAO reset. The Glock is durable and reliable to the extreme and can take +p and +p+ without blinking a eye. Downside is the bulky feel of the grip, but you learn to love it. The BHP is questionable according to some when it comes to +p ammo. With regular 9mm, the BHP is also reliable and durable. I shot mine for decades without a single misfire. The BHP also has wonderful ergonomics (i.e. it feels great in your hand and is comfortable to shoot). I highly agree with ken_mays again when he indicates the the standard Hi-Power safety leaves a lot to be desired. If the BHP you are buying doesn't come with an extended safety, you will want to get one(IMHO). The S&W is a nice gun but given the choice, I would personally prefer the Glock and the BHP. If you don't want to spend another dime on the gun once you buy it, I would recommend you get 2 Glocks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:11:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 6:14:31 PM EDT by ken_mays]
Thanks for the backup, guys... glad I'm not the only one!

The last time I had my High Power at the range I found myself short-stroking the trigger big time. Nothing like shooting 1911s to make the HP's shortcomings really stand out.

I've read that the High Power trigger design was developed by Browning as a way to work around his own patents on the 1911. I don't know if that's true, but I could certainly believe it if it were.
Top Top