Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2003 7:09:28 AM EDT
OK, which is the better gun in your opinion; the HK USP 45 or a tuned 1911?  Please base this opinion on:

Shooting qualities
Accuracy
Reliability
Price
Human engineering
etc.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 8:26:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on which 1911 you buy. If you get a really good custom 1911 like a Les Baer, then I would go with one of those. They are slimmer and easier to conceal, and excellent magazines abound for them.

In the price range of a USP .45, however, you won't find the same quality of 1911 as a good Baer. So I would stick with the HK.

If concealment is an issue, the USP compact conceals very well.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Lee you're about to start a pissing match!
Its very hard to say which is a better gun, its easier to find out which is a better gun for you.

I have two 1911's and three USPs. I agree with J_W.

Out of the box I would go with the USP, it is one of the most accurate guns on the market. They will feed anything (except wolf)
My Kimber dosent like 8 round mags, just 7 rounders.

If you spend the money for a custom 1911 it should feed everything also. A stock 1911 can be picky on the ammo it likes.

I have small hands the full size USP is a little big for my hands, the compact USP & the 1911 fit perfectly.

I need to twist the 1911 to hit the mag release, on the USP I can use the middle finger of my shooting hand to drop the mag, and I dont have to twist the gun to get to it.

Have you handled either one? See which fits you better.

I love my 1911s and my USPs.
For the money, I would also go with the USP.
I carry a USP45 compact almost all the time.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 11:29:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Dear Mr Dredd:

I own two 1911s and an HK USP 9 was my first pistol.  I think the 1911 fits me better and its shooting qualities are some of the best, you get that satisfying "whomp" "whomp" thanks to that steel frame.  I felt that the USPs are very size inefficient-compare a Glock 17 to a USP 9 and you see how "fat" and "clunky" the USP series are.  Note that the pre-ban max capacity of the USP 40 and Glock 23 are at an equal 13 rounds but the USP 40 is at least 20-30% bigger.  For some reason the USP 45 sounds appealing and the size efficiency starts to even out.  I was just looking for some feedback, for the price though a stock USP would probably beat any of the off the shelf 1911's though.  Thank goodness for a free market!
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 11:34:18 AM EDT
[#4]
One's been around since the dawn of time and saved more lives than Carter's got liver pills, the other's just a new boat anchor.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 12:18:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Blonde or brunette?

Both nice guns. Both very good designs, but different makers execute the 1911 better than others. A good 1911 is a very good gun, indeed...but all 1911's are not always good.

H&K is bigger, bulkier, and holds more ammo, is more reliable in stock trim and costs less than a top drawer 1911.

The 1911 fits more hands well, can be set up to do almost anything you want a handgun to do, and a really good one, with good mags, is more than reliable enough to bet your life on.

Get Both!
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with everyone else's statements of buy both if you can.

I myself prefer my customized Series 70 Colt over my Glock21 & the Glock21 over the USP.

I traded the USP off some time ago. It was just too big in my hands and I have decent size hands. Also I couldn't get used to the trigger or the sights.

The USP works great for most people but it just wasn't set up right for me.

I would recommend you shoot both before you buy and go with what works.

Also you may want to try test firing a Glock 21, a Sig 220 Sport, & a Para LDA14.

That Sig Sport makes me want to wet myself it's so nice. I just can't afford one yet.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
One's been around since the dawn of time and saved more lives than Carter's got liver pills, the other's just a new boat anchor.

Mike

Mr. Wilson,  the USP was introduced in 93 actually.  I wouldn't say dawn of time.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 8:17:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I prefer the USP except for the mag release.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 11:12:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Mr. Wilson,  the USP was introduced in 93 actually.  I wouldn't say dawn of time.

Good shot!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top