Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2004 2:37:34 PM EDT
Both feel good in the hand, both shoot great. Which one do I want and why?
Link Posted: 7/18/2004 3:07:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Which one do I want and why?

You want both ...because this is arfcom

USP is too big for most to tote. Even the compact is a little big. Both are good guns, but if you're going to carry it; the Kimber is easier to hide and a very good weapon IMO.

I have both for the record (someone here suggested I have 'both' so now I always ask here first before making choices ).

Link Posted: 7/18/2004 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're talking about the USP fullsize, I'd say the Kimber may balance better.

Try the USP Compact before you decide, IMO.
Link Posted: 7/18/2004 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I have carried an HK Full size... I had no problems, but im a pretty big feller... 6'1 and 280 lbs. A good Galco ccw holster goes a long way towards being confortable with a larger pistol like an HK.
Link Posted: 7/18/2004 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Do yourself a favor and get the Kimber.
Link Posted: 7/18/2004 11:52:33 PM EDT
[#5]
 I have had planty of experiance with HK, they make some excellent, I would seriously consider the USP.   But then again, I carried my sidearm in a thigh holster.  But, it is as reliable as anything.  Go for it!  
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 12:02:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 8:05:43 AM EDT
[#7]
It won't be for carry, that right has been stripped away in KS. The only time I'd carry it is when I'm out on my buddies farm or camping or something of that nature.

Does the fact that this will be my first handgun make a difference? I've had lots of experience with handguns, just never owned one.
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 8:21:19 AM EDT
[#8]
The H&K will work like a charm right out of the box.  

I don't own a Kimber, but a good friend has had some feeding problems with his.  For a SHTF pistol, I think the H&K is hard to beat, and would be my first recommendation.
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 8:24:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Kimber.. i hate H&Ks.. plus you can do a ton more custom stuff to a 1911.

J
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Go with the HK USP(if the budget allows try to swing the usp tactical). I have been where you are before so I just bought both, but the USP tac was my first purchase, and instead of kimber I went springfield. Good luck
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, you have nearly 10 options for setting up the trigger and safeties, so you can have your USP any way you want it. I prefer the USP to the 1911 for serious work. The 1911s I have shot were "range bitches" only.
Link Posted: 7/20/2004 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I would get the HK. I have a USP Tactical and it shoots like a dream. Plus with a HK you know that it can take a ton of abuse and still keep shooting, and with a USP you can have 10 or 12 rounds in the mag.

Chris J
Link Posted: 7/20/2004 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#13]
The HK is more likely to be reliable right out of the box.  And since it is not a carry pistol you wont have to worry about the bulk of the HK.

Mine ate up every kind of ammo you can think of... from cheap ass crap, to high power defensive ammo... and it was already 6 years old when I bought it.

The lifetime warranty of the HK is nice too.

Since you are taking it on farm and camping and stuff you have to consider which will operate best when its filthy...

HK rules in that area.
Link Posted: 7/20/2004 8:19:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The HK is more likely to be reliable right out of the box.  

Care to prove that statement?
Link Posted: 7/20/2004 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a USP 45f... I'm leaning towards the kimber.   I love the 1911 series frame/feel.
Link Posted: 7/20/2004 8:51:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Kimber all the way Baby...............WOOHOO
Link Posted: 7/20/2004 9:05:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I have Kimber Ultra Eclipse II and a USP .40. I had a bigtime feeding problem with my kimber and eventually sent it to Wilson Combat for some adjustments to feed my hydrashocks.... I have NEVER had any feeding or ANY problems with my H&K....... I want to like my Kimber better but its hard...
Link Posted: 7/20/2004 10:03:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Both.  But if you can't have both then the Kimber.
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 8:26:13 AM EDT
[#19]
This post looks familiar...dig a few pages in and youll find my post asking the exact same thing, with results from many.

In the end I went with the USP. Lifetime warranty, utter reliability, just as accurate as the Custom II (arguably) and it doesnt NEED modification...but if you want, drop in barrels (threaded or no, O-ringed tactical style, see CCF), adj sights, night sights, new grips, etc are all available for it. It fits my hand fine (.45 Fullsize) and will eat any ammo you feed it.

The kimbers had lesser quality control IMHO...seems like some come from the factory running like a top, and some dont. Also keep in mind that the USP is a combat rated weapon, with looser tolerances (but not of lesser quality) than the kimber. Youll have to clean alot of 1911s more than you would the USP before you start getting jams. In my oppinion the Kimber makes an excellent CCW/home defense peice, but dont try to carry it 14 miles through mangrove swamps or snow and ice, etc etc etc...my HK sits on a thigh holster, not a CCW holster. I depend on it to kill something that threatens me after ive hiked through streams, snow, and mud. That being said, I still want a kimber eventually to take to the range/for CCW. I love them 1911s, just dont trust most of them to go bang everytime.
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 12:48:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I have Kimber Ultra Eclipse II and a USP .40. I had a bigtime feeding problem with my kimber and eventually sent it to Wilson Combat for some adjustments to feed my hydrashocks.... I have NEVER had any feeding or ANY problems with my H&K....... I want to like my Kimber better but its hard...

Keep in mind that this is the "ultra" version.  The shortened 1911's are notorious for being fidgety, and while kimber claims to have solved this issue by slowing the cycle time, I've read about a lot of issues with them.  The local smiths have mentioned that there is a reliability compromise for concealability.  It takes a bit more to get these small guns running.  Once they do, they do.  

I've got a USP 9 and a Kimber Gold Match.  It may surprise you that I've only had one problem with either of them.  And while I've had the kimber longer, and fed more rounds through it, I had a FTE with the USP.  It only happened once, but a Hydrashock failed to clear the opening of the slide.  It hasn't happened in the couple thousand rounds I've fed it since then including the hundred or so hydrashocks I've fed it.

So, both are quality guns, both will serve you admirably just pick the one you like the best.  Also, the controls are similar enough that if you eventually get one of each your muscle memory will not be an issue for switching back and forth.  Enjoy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 12:52:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh, yeah, and if you'll only be "carrying" it on a farm, camping, etc. you may want to have a look at the "western style" holster that Dillon makes for the Kimber.  Should you go that route.  It looks pretty cool.  Though, I don't have a use for one since I've become "cityfied."

1915 holster
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#22]
My next pistol will be a USP Tactical, with a can.

Try THAT with your Kimber!!

Seriously, if you can shoot both first, do it. A pistol is a very personal thing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
My next pistol will be a USP Tactical, with a can.

Try THAT with your Kimber!!

Seriously, if you can shoot both first, do it. A pistol is a very personal thing.

I agree with this statment, but I already have the Tac.
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 2:56:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I would have bought it by now, but there are just TOO many temptations in this damned hobby!! The USP Tac seemed like the cool item least likely to become unavailable in the near future. So, I went for the M16!!  Now I want an UZI. And cans!!  Must have cans!!!

God help me, I may never retire!!!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#25]
If you are going to carry,get the kimber!
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can prove that statement....it is a H&K.
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can prove that statement....it is a H&K.

Yeah , can you hear the Sarcasm?
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 4:33:16 AM EDT
[#28]
I'd go with a Kimber. Have a Kimber Custom Stainless, never had a problem with it.
Not to hijack or change the subject, but if you are looking at a USP, have you considered a Glock 21? I have a 21 as well, never had a problem with it either.
Link Posted: 7/24/2004 7:56:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Well, as an owner of both, the USP is the way to go for a first gun.  I like my Kimber better right now, but as a first gun, definitely the USP.  It has never failed to feed any type of ammo.  It gets cleaned every three or four weeks, and still performs flawlessly.  I clean the polymer lower with 409.  It has a lifetime guarantee.  You can have the hammer down, a round in the chamber, and the safety on, or you can go cocked and locked, as you feel comfortable.  It is easy to disassemble and reassemble without tools.
Link Posted: 7/24/2004 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course not... nor can you prove the opposite... I can only speak based on my expereinces with both weapons.
Link Posted: 7/24/2004 10:20:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would have bought it by now, but there are just TOO many temptations in this damned hobby!! The USP Tac seemed like the cool item least likely to become unavailable in the near future. So, I went for the M16!!  Now I want an UZI. And cans!!  Must have cans!!!

God help me, I may never retire!!!!

What is this retire thing you speak of?
Link Posted: 7/24/2004 11:38:36 PM EDT
[#32]
HK.....don’t compromise    
Link Posted: 7/25/2004 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Look at what HK does to their pistols to check reliability. I doubt a tight Kimber can do this.

Copy and paste.

http://www.kabel1.de/php-bin/scripts/cvideo/cvideo.php?Waffenschmiede,,1,,333,,NULL,,redirect.streaming.szm.de/redirect/redirect.php?type=vod&codec=real&stream=K1/leben/al200704/waffenschmiede_320.rm,,1,,1
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:37:00 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I'm amazed at the features and quality of the Custom II. I love mine! The only addition is a couple of Wilson mags. The factory mag is passable, but I believe that's intentional to 1) Keep cost down because 2) odds are the purchaser is going to buy several after-market mags anyway.

Don't get me wrong...HK makes a great pistol, but with the Kimber you get a great deal more for the money.

Hep
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:12:26 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

You have to think about this why?

Kimber makes fine weapons, but the USP is in a class by itself. I like 1911s, but for personal defense I like the decocker, lightness and extreme reliability of the USP series. Higher doublestack magazine capacity is 10, 12 if the AW ban expires, compared to 8 for the single stack Kimber. It is used by LE and elite military forces far more by reason of all these features. Would I like a Kimber, sure. But for defending myself and the familiy, I'll grab the USP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top