Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 9/14/2004 6:04:05 PM EDT
is there long term damage done by having the mag extend out of a pistol?  i have a USP45 compact and want to try the full size mags.  thanks!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of such a thing.  In fact, many manufactures cite this as a positive feature ie. being able to use larger mags for "back up"
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a new one to me as well...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:46:04 PM EDT
[#3]
that's all i needed to hear.  your quick response let's me get 'em tomorrow.  thanks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
is there long term damage done by having the mag extend out of a pistol?  i have a USP45 compact and want to try the full size mags.  thanks!

They don't fit , 8 is all you can get for a USPC 45 , and the 10's that were listed on a few
H&K sites have gone from Pending , to No ETA
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:45:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Could there be the posibility of hurting certain parts like the ejector if you were really slamming the mag home?  Like if the bottom plate wasnt able to contact the bottom of the grip to stop it?
I dont know, just a thought.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:50:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Full size mags from a USPf will not fit your Compact.

As for stressing the mag catch, the answer is both "no" and "maybe". If you only use them at the range, or for a backup mag then no harm. If, on the other hand, you carry all the time with the extended, heavier, mag in place, there can, indeed, be stress placed on the mag catch and spring that the pistol was not designed for. I have never seen anyone do this with an H&K but I have seen guys try it with 10rd. 1911 mags and 20rd. Sig 9mm mags. IN both cases, the mag catch springs fatigued somewhat within several months, and caused some problems...especially with the 1911s...when using the larger mags. (no issues when the standard mags were used, but I am sure that would have been just a matter of time) I am pretty sure that the fact that the mags were taking a beating while being used in pistols carried in duty holsters was also an issue. Use these things for spare mags or, as done by some teams, such as the SAS, for high risk entry use, etc, but IMO they should not be carried in the gun all the time.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top