Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2010 11:58:15 AM EDT
18,578 rounds  0 stoppages 0 malfunctions  0 parts breakages

Amazing. This pistol hasn't been cleaned in 9,556 rounds and is running like a Swiss watch.

I'm thinking the HK 45 is the next HK  to come home with me.   ASAP.

Link to this week's report written by our own John_Wayne777 (known there as TCinVA0).

http://pistol-training.com/archives/3314
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 9:40:28 PM EDT
People can call me a HK fanboy all they want....The reason I roll with HKs is they are the only handguns in granted my limited handgun experience that always go boom.

I am still relatively green with my first HK....a .357sig in SK and although 2k or so rounds down a tube is nothing.....guess how many of those 2k failed to do their magic...I know, too easy....ZERO

That is a really awesome test you guys are doing and thanks for sharing the link so that I can try and remember to follow that bad boy.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:50:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:10:44 AM EDT
yea hk's are nice until you have to buy magazines or parts. Then HK thinks their shit is made of gold.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:25:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:
A pistol going over 18,000 rounds with no malfunctions and pitifully little maintenance really is an impressive feat. For those wondering, the reports are not exaggerated...the gun really hasn't been cleaned. At a certain point the crud buildup becomes self limiting and the gun simply sheds it...all over the shooter...which means that I damn near ruined a shirt. When Todd handed me the gun that morning there wasn't a drop of lube evident on it anywhere. Even with more than 18K down the pipe and enough crud crusted around the muzzle to make you think the gun had VD or something, it still ran perfectly and was a hell of a lot more accurate than I'll ever be.

It's a damn good handgun.

Did you warm up to the mag release?  I know you said you struggled until you switched to your trigger finger.  I personally use the middle finger on my firing hand.  Using that one doesn't seem to shift my grip at all and is scary fast.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:25:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By kavik:
yea hk's are nice until you have to buy magazines or parts. Then HK thinks their shit is made of gold.

Low volume.  It's a simple concept to understand in the manufacturing world.  It results in higher costs for the manufacturer, thus higher prices for the consumers.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:44:01 AM EDT
That's impressive!!! I put a little over 1K rounds through a P2000 that I had for awhile and it was a really nice gun.  Some reason though it just required me to concentrate more to shoot it well than my Glock's do.  I think it is something to do with my grip but I can't bring myself to change since I shoot the Glocks so well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:48:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:53:49 AM EDT
A pistol going over 18,000 rounds with no malfunctions and pitifully little maintenance really is an impressive feat. For those wondering, the reports are not exaggerated...the gun really hasn't been cleaned. At a certain point the crud buildup becomes self limiting and the gun simply sheds it...all over the shooter...which means that I damn near ruined a shirt. When Todd handed me the gun that morning there wasn't a drop of lube evident on it anywhere. Even with more than 18K down the pipe and enough crud crusted around the muzzle to make you think the gun had VD or something, it still ran perfectly and was a hell of a lot more accurate than I'll ever be.

It's a damn good handgun.

Something I've noticed, .45 acp seems like its always dirtier than 9mm and .40.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:02:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/20/2010 12:03:25 PM EDT by MaverickH1]
Originally Posted By MaverickH1:
Low volume.  It's a simple concept to understand in the manufacturing world.  It results in higher costs for the manufacturer, thus higher prices for the consumers.

They also make everything in house. Most gun companies have mags made for them by a third party....and in fact use a lot of sub-contracted parts. That's why quality can vary so dramatically. H&K, on the other hand, makes everything in house...every pin and spring on their guns is made in house. That's more expensive, but it allows for a higher degree of quality control.

And if memory serves me correctly, they also make everything in production runs.  That's why there are sometimes part droughts.  One section that made USP slides last week might be making HK45 threaded barrels this week.

Doing it that way equates to increasing the time and labor necessary to make a part... thus making it more expensive.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:18:57 PM EDT

They also make everything in house. Most gun companies have mags made for them by a third party....and in fact use a lot of sub-contracted parts. That's why quality can vary so dramatically. H&K, on the other hand, makes everything in house...every pin and spring on their guns is made in house. That's more expensive, but it allows for a higher degree of quality control.

And if memory serves me correctly, they also make everything in production runs.  That's why there are sometimes part droughts.  One section that made USP slides last week might be making HK45 threaded barrels this week.

Doing it that way equates to increasing the time and labor necessary to make a part... thus making it more expensive.

So what if  it makes it more expensive, it also makes it top quality.  

And I will gladly pay more money for top quality.
Page Handguns » H&K
Top Top