Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2004 3:41:07 PM EDT
I want a 1911 style,SA, HiCap/DBL stack like a Para P12 or 14 .I know Ill have to replace the plastic mag catch and to stay away from the alloy models. What else is out there for quality options??
Looking to spend around $800-1000

I dont want a DA only like the LDA,but would love a SA/DA set-up if it were availible.

And what are the options for hi-cap mags for it? I see SportsmansGuide offers Para 16 rd,Any good??

Any links?

I went thru the first 4-5 pages here but didnt see anything recent,so forgive me if this has been beat to death already.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:18:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Kimber makes a double stack that I "think" takes para mags.  Polymer frame/steel slide.  Think Springfield makes a dbl. stack as well.  It would make sense if they took Para mags, since they started the whole high cap 1911 thing.

edit to add:  Check out 1911forum.com as well, they'll have all the info and more there.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:06:09 PM EDT
[#2]
USP
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:09:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Assuming 1911 platform:

1. Para Ordnance.

2. Springfield (takes Para mags).

3. Kimber (doesn't take Para mags).

4. Entreprise (takes Para mags).

5. STI/SVI (use their own mags not interchangeable with Para).

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:38:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Replace the selector place in the USP, and it becomes a single action 1911 that takes 12 round magazines, and unlike a 1911, doesn't require thousands of dollars to be awesome out of the box.

My carry gun - USP 45F Stainless slide, trij. night sights, HK match trigger. Total cost to me : 700$. I carry it cocked & locked every day. It's a tack driver.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:28:34 AM EDT
[#5]
You can buy a used P14 for less than $700.

Of course, it should be noted that true 1911's do NOT have double-stacked magazines.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#6]
acording to glock the g37(ie .45 GAP)the beauty is you get big bore power in a medium sized ie full sized 9mm/40 cal platform.
so hey glock wheres the hi cap mags for the g37.i herd they aint an option whats up wit dat.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Of course, it should be noted that true 1911's do NOT have double-stacked magazines.

sold my lw p-14 for $550 w/ 2 hicaps

my next 1911 will be single stack.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would have loved to have found that deal

Im aware of the fact that 1911's are single stack but after shooting hi-caps for so long Im hooked on the capacity thing.I like 1911s dont get me wrong........but everyone I know that doesnt like hi-caps has small hands and dont like the fat grip.I however have large hands and fairly long fingers and the hi-caps fit me well.Its not like its going to be my primary CCW carry gun so the concealment isnt an issue either.Ive plenty of small carry type weapons already.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:10:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Replace the selector place in the USP, and it becomes a single action 1911 that takes 12 round magazines, and unlike a 1911, doesn't require thousands of dollars to be awesome out of the box.

My carry gun - USP 45F Stainless slide, trij. night sights, HK match trigger. Total cost to me : 700$. I carry it cocked & locked every day. It's a tack driver.

Doc

Tell me more.........whats the max reasonable capacity of the USP? Twelve aint bad at all.
Whats with the selector mod?Is it normally a DA only?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#10]
You could almost buy two Kimber BP10's for the price of one Para. I've shot both and like both.
The STI's are really nice though.

The Sprinfield dbl stack 1911 is a really chunky!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#11]
A V1 USP is DA/SA, but you can carry cocked and locked like a 1911.  Standard cap mags for a full-size USP 45 is 12 rounds.  I've owned a standard USP 45f before and now own a Mark 23, a Tactical, and a USP9SD.  Got a USP Compact Stainless in 9mm and a P2000SK 9mm on the way as well.  All I carry is HK and Sig.  Always go bang and puts the bullets where they are supposed to go.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#12]
G37 is a single stack you dont have room for a double stack in a 9,mm sized magwell
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:34:22 PM EDT
[#13]
USP .45 Full V1
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:53:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Depends if you want a gun to shoot or carry.  The grip on the STI is very comfortable, especially if you have the trigger guard undercut milled for high grip position.  Because it is made of lightweight plastic the felt recoil is more but the balance and pointability are good (muzzle heavy).  The Para feels a bit frame-heavy and not balanced so well but recoil is less due to weight.  Neither carries particularly well due to bulk.  For a carry gun a single-stack is better, probably Commander length.  The STI Eagle is VERY good value in a high-cap gun, no features left to add.  Here are a few of mine for comparison:

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:19:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would have loved to have found that deal

check the ee now and then.  it was on for a month

Im aware of the fact that 1911's are single stack but after shooting hi-caps for so long Im hooked on the capacity thing.I like 1911s dont get me wrong........but everyone I know that doesnt like hi-caps has small hands and dont like the fat grip.I however have large hands and fairly long fingers and the hi-caps fit me well.Its not like its going to be my primary CCW carry gun so the concealment isnt an issue either.Ive plenty of small carry type weapons already.

i'm over 300 with a 2x glove size.  it's not a size issue- they just don't balance as well.  clunky comes to mind as a discriptive term.  was about the same size/weight as my g20 and wasn't nearly as pointable/portable.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doc

Tell me more.........whats the max reasonable capacity of the USP? Twelve aint bad at all.
Whats with the selector mod?Is it normally a DA only?

Don't get me wrong, I love my USP45F.  But, none of my 1911's needed anything to be awsome out of the box.  Even after customizing my Colt a little, it's still not as much money as my USP45...  And, it's never choked on ammo.  My HK has.  Granted, they were handloads that needed some tweaking, but the 1911's fed them fine and the HK choked on them.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
G37 is a single stack you dont have room for a double stack in a 9,mm sized magwell

The G37 has a staggered magazine. If you look at the back of the G37 mag, you will see 2 columns of holes indicating the magazine capacity up to 10 rounds. If you stack 10 rounds of .45 on top of each other, it will exceed the height/length of the magazine.  I've shot over 200rds of WWB 230gr. FMJ and various CCI Speer/Lawman loads in 200grn without problems in my G37. I'm patiently waiting for the Ranger SXT loading in 230gr. It kicks less my G35. I like the fact that I have 10rds of .45 at my disposal in a 9mm/.40SW frame. I would feel just as safe with 7-8rounds of a single stack 1911 as with my G37. If only GAP ammo would come down in price to about 9-10.00 a box.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Lol - 1911's being reliable out of the box. I've owned 5 so far, all have taken a dump. I'm on my second full frame USP in 45, neither of which have hitched. My personal bias is obvious.

Anyway -

Basically, the selector on the standard HK USP is set up to be safe (up) semi (middle) decock (push all the way down). The weapon can be carried *safely* cocked & locked *or* hammer down. The selector 'mod' is pretty easy to do. I did mine myself - the only part you need is 6 or 7$.  You basically change out a plate right above the selector lever which changes its behavior. I have mine set as a variant 9, which behaves just like a 1911.

You can read more about the weapon here : www.hkpro.com/usp.htm

12 round mags are now readily available - I have been finding them (with a little looking) for around 40$/ea. That's actually 5$ less than dealer cost, so be prepared for it.

The 9mm version can hold 18 rounds, the .40 can hold 16, with a jet funnel. I think factory, they will hold 15 and 13, respectively.

The USP is the pinnicle of refinement on the john browning design, IMO. There is no weak cam point (barrel link), there is no fouling point on lock up (slots on top of 1911 barrel), and since it is a polymer frame, little lubrication is neccessary for consistant function. The full size weapons incorporate a double recoil spring which takes *all* of the bite out of the round you are shooting. Be aware - the compact version of these weapons do not have this dual recoil system. I always advocate people get the big brother - it's not too big to carry, and the benefits of controlled recoil and bullet velocity are important to me as a carry weapon.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:31:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I guess my 1911's must be defective.  In tens of thousands of rounds (mostly my own reloads), they've never failed to feed, extract, or go boom.  My only problem has been that the front sight shot loose on my Colt.  I'm not knocking, HK's.  I love both of mine, but both of mine have stovepiped.  The USP9F on Federal Hydrashocks, the USP45F on reloads.  I feel confident now that the kinks have been worked out, and I trust all of them.  But.... my 1911's have never failed.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:05:29 AM EDT
[#20]
I have had 3 paras and a few single stacks 1911's. I had an alloy framed P14 and P12. The only time the P14 failed was my own fault.  I don't remember the P12 failing. My current P14 is an old conversion with a Colt slide/barrel. It is 100% reliable.  With it's steel frame though it is bulky and heavy for concealed carry. I also have a Colt Combat Commander that I carry concealed a lot. The only time it has failed me was when I installed a recoil reducing guide rod.  With a normal spring it works fine.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:15:40 AM EDT
[#21]
DrNo...thanks for the info..........looks like Ill start shopping for either the Hk or the Para,

Or hell...........maybye both

Thanks to all for the info,sorry Ive taken so long to respond,Ive been out of town working for three weeks .
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:29:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top